Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104348 - 09/02/07 08:29 PM What is everyone doing for a fitness program?
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Since becoming a member here, I have had a real awakening of what I need to do to survive problem situations and be able to take care of my family. As mentioned in a previous post, if problems arise while at work, I’ll be hiking a long way (~ 25 miles) to get home. This is my primary concern and is what I’m basing my fitness program around.

My fitness priorities are:
1) cardiovascular fitness (including losing weight)
2) core strength
3) muscular endurance (as opposed to strength)

To address these needs I am doing the following:
1) 30 - 40 minute power walks at lunch time with a friend. 3 - 5 times a week depending on weather. 20 minutes on an exercise bike to start my home workout 2 -3 times a week. I’m trying to add a hike on the weekend, but that is hard to do given my family schedule.

2 and 3) These are both addressed by how I do the resistance part of my workout. I use a Total Gym (the one that Chuck Norris endorses) for my resistance training. My exercises are lower resistance and higher reps ( 20+ per exercise) to build endurance, plus it’s easier on these old joints. An added benefit of this equipment is that you have to stabilize yourself and thus work your core abdominal area hard.

I’ve also cleaned up my diet, but that still needs more work.

I’ve only been back on this program for the past few weeks, but have already lost 8 pounds. Only 20 more to go. smile

Any comments? I would really like to know what others are doing in this area.

#104349 - 09/02/07 08:37 PM Re: What is everyone doing for a fitness program? [Re: ScouterMan]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
1 mile round trip (double if I come home for lunch) w/ 20#++ pack and steep hills week days except holidays. The speed I do it in makes the difference between a moderate workout & getting shin splints from it.

#104357 - 09/02/07 10:56 PM Re: What is everyone doing for a fitness program? [Re: UTAlumnus]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
Walk 3 miles in 50 minutes, flat, uphill and down, 4 mornings and again every evening unless it's raining hard. Gym workout 3 mornings a week-2 90 minute workouts, half aerobic circuit training, half anaerobic weight training, 1 three hour workout, one hour circuit, 2 hours anaerobic weight training. Walking from my car to my office and back again for lunch and driving to meetings, approx. 1 mile per day. Low carb diet.

#104359 - 09/02/07 11:03 PM Re: What is everyone doing for a fitness program? [Re: ScouterMan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Every other night I do 15 mintes of Yoga to stay flexible followed by 40 minutes of endurance training on my trendmill whie carrying forteen pounds of water in a backpack. I also watch my diet (Yeah! SlimFast!). I'm currently 39 years old, 6'5" tall and weigh 215 lbs.

I work witha lot of guys 55+ years old and the shape they are in terrifies me. That's my incentive to keep at it.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#104362 - 09/02/07 11:04 PM Re: What is everyone doing for a fitness program? [Re: saniterra]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

1 hr of cardio workout 3x week; that's the biggie.

#104364 - 09/02/07 11:49 PM Re: What is everyone doing for a fitness program? [Re: teacher]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I shoot for an ideal of an hour a day six times a week of exercise but forty-five minutes every second day is more realistic. That said I have been good the last three days and with only one day break the three before so I'm well above minimum. I don't feel bad about that level of activity.

#104368 - 09/03/07 12:42 AM Re: What is everyone doing for a fitness program? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

From one of my previous posts:

My current fitness is a combination of walking to and from work (9 miles) minimum 2 days a week carrying a laptop, lunch etc in a backpack. I do this in a all types of conditions: rain, snow or sun.

On the other days, I bike the almost the same route and it is actually harder then walking as it is uphill both ways.

On weekends, it is not unusual to go for a 4-6 mile walk carrying our BOB's for weight, through a local park that is on the edge of a steep ravine. Other weekends a 25-30 mile bike ride is normal.

Will be getting back into some light weightlifting and pushups now that the troublesome shoulder has settled down once again.

#104370 - 09/03/07 12:47 AM Re: What is everyone doing for a fitness program? [Re: ScouterMan]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I used to do push-ups on my knuckles on gravel and other asceticism of the body practices to harden up my mind and body, pushing my limits, and all that. Now I realized it's futile and drink a lot of beer, watch tv and browse the internet all the time and avoid all kind of physical efforts when possible. Actually my most physically challenging activity is solving chess puzzles on diagrams. What can I say, I'm lazy? Survival is about energy conservation anyway. Once you have bugged out, you have to shelter-in-place for a long period of time and my mind is ready for that.

Frankie

#104377 - 09/03/07 01:25 AM Re: What is everyone doing for a fitness program? [Re: Frankie]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Aerobics- bike for 40 minutes at least three times per week (used to run but developed knee issue)

Strenth- dumbell workout three times per week (used to do barbell free weights but goofed up my shoulder)

Flexibility- none..lol

#104379 - 09/03/07 01:30 AM Re: What is everyone doing for a fitness program? [Re: jshannon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
500 Kcal on the elliptical, 30 minutes on the bowflex, x 4 times a week.

6'5" and 255-265 depending on how I am eating.

I am getting older and slowing down. At least I can keep going, just not as fast as I used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.