Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#103970 - 08/29/07 04:24 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Many years ago they were referred to as Thermopylae or Marathon Bars, now they are called 'Snickers' frown At least we still have Curly Wurlies smile

Has anyone tried a deep fried Snickers bar? Its a local specialty in certain parts of the UK.

Recipe.

1 Snickers
Dip into Batter and deep fry in fat (the kind of animal fat McDs abandoned many years ago)

Serve and enjoy (just before the myocardial infarction sick)

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/29/07 04:52 PM)

#103971 - 08/29/07 04:42 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
My dog actually tries to scarf down the "Merda energy pellets" and he's usually hyper. Probably good for the "Equipped to Survive" Puppy Dog that's also stupid enough to drink out of the toilet bowl. crazy

Actually, I use Met-Rx bars for my urban survival kits, where I'm likely to find water (or other fluids) to wash them down. Haven't had a problem with them melting, I keep them with a few water bottles in a soft-sided cooler to keep them in the car.

Other suggestions:

• Small bags of nuts (like the kind airlines used to give)
  • Power Bars - don't melt as much as candy bars
  • Snickers - good taste, some protein, available everywhere, the DW loves them
  • My mother-in-laws fruitcake - It's got enough alcohol in it that I could use shavings of it to use as tinder!

#103977 - 08/29/07 06:13 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: BrianTexas]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Ok, do I really have to mention it yet again.

For the best concentration of nutrients and calories per unit mass or weight, that is shelf stable for months at a time, and probably the most economical product you can come up with, nothing out there beats good old pemmican. We're not talking about that processed beef jerky stuff you buy in little bags at the checkout lines, we're talking about authentic Hudson's bay trappers/mountain man/Lewis & Clark era survival rations. Easy to make, easy to store, highly versatile recipes, and pennies on the pound if you do it right. You will not find another food substance that has a higher concentration of calories per gram, or that can incorporate all sorts of custom nutritional models (to the limits of your imagination), that will hold up well under normal storage. Some of those "rat" bars may last longer on the shelf. But 6 months stock rollover seems prudent anyways. Besides, if you are as judicious about your processing and storage techniques as with those high priced commercial bars, pemmican will last just as long as they would. I can wrap a pemmican ball in aluminum foil and plastic and it will still be pallatable 3 months later.

We've posted recipes here before, and there are plenty of references all over the web, so I won't reproduce that all again here. It is well worth considering.

BTW, some pemmican recipes are also useful for accelerating fires.

#103992 - 08/29/07 08:06 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: benjammin]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

You really can mention it again, some will find it useful.

Making one's own pemmican is an option, but there are some of us who have other factors to consider. If there is an emergency, I'd rather have something that I know my wife will like so that she will eat it. Pemmican may be superior in many ways, but the DW will likely throw up when I merely mention the word. Thus, the imperfect, but certain to be used by others, Snickers bars. Besides, if I want to trade some food for another thing, like water, I know the Snickers bars will better serve as currency (BTW - How many Snickers bars for pre-1964 US coins confused).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

#103994 - 08/29/07 08:10 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: CBTENGR]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
With the Snicker group for the most part although in hot weather M&M's w/Peanuts won't melt. In a search of the net for trail mix recipes I found and modified for taste:
1/2 c peanut butter(extra crunchy-more peanuts)
1/2 c honey
Mix together and add
1 c quick cook oats
1 c flaked coconut
(raisins etc optional)

m&m's won't stick, 1/2 to 1 cup of chocolate chips was used. Shape into balls and let air dry for awhile before storing.

The original recipe added 1 c powdered milk and was rolled in wheat germ if I remember right. Other attempts with recipes from the net didn't work so I jotted this down w/o optimism and forgot to get the cooks name. Coconut has antibacterial qualities and bacteria can't live in honey so maybe they don't spoil so easy and it tastes better than some trail food.
with Thanks and Apologies to the original author should he/she ever read this!

#103996 - 08/29/07 08:12 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: benjammin]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Although pemmican has traditionally been used for a very long time as an expedition ration especially in very cold climates and although it does have a very high energy to weight ratio (mainly because of the high animal fat content) it shouldn't really be relied on completely as it has some disadvantages. The disadvantages are the lack of available carbohydrates within the mixture. The addition of berries such as black currants within the mixture will also help overcome the lack of vitamin C, which is normally lacking within a traditional pemmican mixture. The high levels of animal fat within pemmican makes it difficult for the body to absorb the energy stored with the pemmican itself. Breaking down animal fat into muscle glycogen is a very energy and time consuming process for the body to achieve. Carbohydrates are much more easily consummed by the body as a readily available energy source especially if the body is having a very high energy output requirements such as man hauling, trekking, cycling for example. A more balanced ratio of proteins, carbohydrates, fats and nutrients is required. Rather than having 60-70% fat as in the pemmican, I would reduce this to less than 40% with the same percentage of carbohydrates i.e. a more balanced diet for the wilderness.

Ben Saunders has some interesting observations regarding expedition nutrition.

http://www.bensaunders.com/resources/expedition_nutrition.html

Pemmican is an excellent food resources at supplementing a wilderness diet of hunting and foraging and the craving for sweet sugary/starchy foods is just as powerful as is the hunger for animal fats and protiens.

#103997 - 08/29/07 08:13 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Has anyone tried a deep fried Snickers bar? Its a local specialty in certain parts of the UK.

Recipe.

1 Snickers
Dip into Batter and deep fry in fat (the kind of animal fat McDs abandoned many years ago)

They're served at the Texas State Fair (late-Sept to Mid-Oct in Dallas). It's become kind of a joke with what new products will be battered and deep-fried. It started with the deep-fried twinkie and devolved into deep fried:

• Macaroni and Cheese
  • Moon pies (southern fast food)
  • Pecan pies
  • Ho-Ho's
  • (pick your favorite vending machine item...)

#104004 - 08/29/07 10:55 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: BrianTexas]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
So, what kind of batter are they dipped in???

#104011 - 08/29/07 11:49 PM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: BrianTexas]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
Deep fried Mac and Cheese-sounds disgusting. Is it on a stick or just a greasy lump?

#104021 - 08/30/07 02:00 AM Re: High Calorie Emergency Food [Re: frostbite]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I tried a pemmican bar once.....once.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.