The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#103675 - 08/27/07 01:07 PM Gerber multi-tools
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Especially the diesel and 600 series... How are they? I used to use them when they first came out in 95/96 and I think they are the reason I passed my engineering class . Later on I wondered off to Schrade and now I use Lethermans. That out of the front action thou is always what makes me miss them when working in the field. I spoke to my old man who is a gerber only guy (but who has difficulty in speaking clearly) and he told me that new stuff is plasticy and falls apart. What you guys think and where can I get one for a decent price?

#103676 - 08/27/07 01:19 PM Re: Gerber multi-tools [Re: Polak187]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Can't help you, I am a Leatherman type myself...

#103687 - 08/27/07 02:25 PM Re: Gerber multi-tools [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey

I have this one, and it's pretty cool. It's a Recoil Auto-Plier. Mine is just like the one in the picture, the new ones have a different knife that can be seen if you follow the link. I got mine at Wally world btw.

#103693 - 08/27/07 03:43 PM Re: Gerber multi-tools [Re: Polak187]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I'd seriously ditch the Recoil if I were you! I had one myself and for about four months it worked fine, then one day the button that held the snap-open pliers broke on the inside, not allowing the pliers to stay inside the housing mechanism. I let this slide for a while until the parts started to come loose and eventually the bits came out. I'd get a Leatherman or one of the Swisstools. If you want to stick with Gerber though, the Suspension Tool is OK. I've got one in a SHTF kit I keep in a lockbox at home...

#103695 - 08/27/07 03:56 PM Re: Gerber multi-tools [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I've had mine for a little over 2 years. I keep it oiled and sharpened & i've had no problems so far....

#103697 - 08/27/07 04:21 PM Re: Gerber multi-tools [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My LM Charge Ti is just fine with me.

#103698 - 08/27/07 04:32 PM Re: Gerber multi-tools [Re: Russ]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
Functionally my 600 is nice. But it has some serious durability issues to which I'm not very plussed about. I've been a gerber fan for a long time but they changed something in their steel and it just doesn't seem to hold an edge. The little knife built in wore down and chipped very quickly. The plyer portion doesn't slide out like normal now as the metal bent after some somewhat strenuous (though not brutal or severe) pulling. Now it will pull out but it's obviously nowhere as smooth as it was.

It's good if you can get it cheap or as a gift as I got it. Otherwise I'd go with something with higher quality.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#103700 - 08/27/07 05:36 PM Re: Gerber multi-tools [Re: garland]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I have a collection of about 20 multi-tools from almost every company, Leatherman, Victorinox, SOG, Gerber, Wenger, etc, and I would say out of all of them Gerber's are my least favorite.

I do have the Gerber 600 series that you are talking about, along with the original gerber multi-tool. Aside from the one-hand "flick" opening feature, there isn't much else I like about it. Quality and workmanship is not even close to any of the other major competitors. Design is somewhat of a hack job, tolerances are loose, and just the overall feel of it makes it feel more like a kid's toy than a precision tool. I have a feeling if I tried to put it to use, I would probably break it in a short time. However, if you are looking for the stilleto type out the front opening feature, they're the only company that makes that style.

I do have a friend that loves gerbers, but mainly for the ergonomics over functionality or quality. For some people it's just more comfortable for them, and they're willing to live with the other shortcomings.

Edited by ducktapeguy (08/27/07 05:39 PM)

#103723 - 08/27/07 09:02 PM Re: Gerber multi-tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I've been a Leatherman users for years and love them. I started with the Supertool and now use the Wave. After many Scout trips performing every camp task imaginable, it's still going strong. Same for work. Even my boss commented once that he sees me using my Wave everyday.

For me, it's my American Express card, "I don't leave home without it".

#103726 - 08/27/07 09:34 PM Re: Gerber multi-tools [Re: ducktapeguy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have EDC'ed a Leatherman since the early 90's and have found them to be quality products.

Concerning one-hand opening my original PST is quite loose (I call it worn-in) so that with a flip of the wrist it is easy to open and close with one hand.

It still takes 2 hands to open the bladed inside and often I would draw the tool upside/down or backwards and I would end up opening the file. To correct this I put some red reflective tape on the side which the knife blade is under (for sight and feel).

Now the tool in inserted in my belt sheath, hinge down, blade outward, this allows for the easiest and quickest draw to flip the pliers open or open the blade (works for left handed people also).

I EDC an original Leatherman WAVE at work which is also a good tool (the basic knife blade steel could be better). This one is not as loose as my PST but I can still flip it open/closed with one hand.

I have found the largest size Leathermans to be a little to big/heavy for my EDC, my son now carries my Supertool.

I have been eyeing a new CHARGE TTI (S30V blade steel) but I am having trouble with the $135.00 price tag when I have 4 Leatherman's already, 2 of which I rarely use.

My only experience with Gerber Multi-tools in that my hunting partner carries one. He works with explosives and his employer provided it to him because it has a special tool for working with blasting caps (I think it is like a punch/hole making probe). He likes the tool, but it was free to him so I guess there is not much to complain about that.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 231 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Phaedrus
Today at 09:49 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.