The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10348 - 11/01/02 02:13 PM cold weather survival
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
What do you guys think will be a perfect setup for cold weather (20/30 degrees)? I'm trying to give some pointers to my friends who are going camping with me this weekend. They have a nice gear list:<br>-good sleeping bags (20-0 degree rated)<br>-thick matts<br>-fleece, windstopers, hats, rain gear, etc<br>-wool socks<br>-4 season tents<br><br>Any tips on how to keep warmer at night. I personally don't have any temperature control problems since I'm usually knocked out in 5 seconds and sleep like a baby in my bag. But I kind of worry about them. I just want it to be a comfortable outing without any major stress and problems for them (or me). Any tips on what should be done when they get cold? Or any extra gear that should be brought?<br><br>Matt<br>

#10349 - 11/01/02 04:18 PM Re: cold weather survival
mick Offline
dedicated member

Loc: England west yorkshire
The british issue wool jumpers are brilliant I recomend u get one or the equivelent.<br>A candle/lantern can be a good way but be carefull.

#10350 - 11/01/02 05:36 PM Re: cold weather survival
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Matt,<br><br>Feed them before they turn in, make sure they drink plenty of water, and encourage them to "get up and go" if the need to urinate strikes in the middle of the night (tip them that a dash out the tent is not bad, especially if one leaves the sleeping bag "closed" - not zipped - to retain body heat while they are out urinating).<br><br>Some might be more cozy with some sort of blanket inside the sleeping bag, but if the fit is snug...<br><br>Have them put dry sleeping garments on and tell them to wear a knit cap to bed and NOT to burrow in and breath inside the bag (it's merely a bad habit on a weekend, but why start...)<br><br>Some get cold and some don't. If they have fun, that's important. A cheerful attitude on your part can't hurt, and it is usually very encouraging for a newbie if someone experienced has a warm cup of beverage ready the next AM... and a campfire if that is appropriate for your trip.<br><br>There is no end to the suggestions I could make, but I reckon you've already got a handle on things. Have fun!<br><br>Tom

#10351 - 11/01/02 05:48 PM Re: cold weather survival
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Tom,<br>Thanks for the tips. Yes I'm already planning to have a thermos with hot tea to be stored by the fire just in case somebody needs somethign at night. And since I wake up early I will have another cup ready for them and hot bfast. Plus pleanty of hot beef stew for everyone and of course polish sausage.<br><br>Matt

#10352 - 11/01/02 07:22 PM Re: cold weather survival
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Long underwear - preferably wool but that's very hard to find in most stores; for a weekend, the regular cotton long johns should do. I have a fairly expensive pair of wind pants with a full-length zipper down each side, so I can take them off without removing my boots, but that's mainly of use if you're going to be in and out of a warm environment (e.g. taking the bus to work).<br><br>One tip I read, but haven't tried, is to drink a cup of hot chocolate with a chunk of butter melted into it. The theory is that the hot chocolate provides a quick burst of energy; the fat in the butter provides a sustained energy burn over a longer period of time. I got this from Garrett and Alexandra Conover's book, The Winter Wilderness Companion - Traditional and Native American Skills for the Undiscovered Season. (448 Pages, ISBN: 007136417X) They claim that the first time they tried this was in Northern Quebec with the temperature around -40. Within minutes they were feeling toasty warm from the inside out. <br><br>I found this an interesting book - I hope to put at least some of their theories to the test this winter. The authors are professional guides in Maine who run winter snowshoeing expeditions in Northern Quebec, and they seem to know what they're talking about. I'm not affiliated with the book, the authors, or the publishers in any way. It's available from Amazon - their web site says they have 4 left in stock but more are on the way.<br><br>Also, if your companions bring along a "pee bottle" so they don't have to get up in the cold early morning to urinate, they'll probably be a lot more comfortable. Make sure it's not glass, or anything that is likely to shatter due to sudden temperature variation; and that it won't leak. These can double as hotwater bottles to be used for first aid for hypothermia, as well; fresh urine is generally at the optimal temperature for warming someone up, and the bottles fit naturally into the groin, neck and armpits, where the heat transfer is fastest.

#10353 - 11/01/02 09:04 PM Re: cold weather survival
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Hi Matt,<br>make sure they stay warm and dry during the day in the first place. To my experience the most common mistake of beginners is to wear too many clothes and socks. So they get wet from sweat and cold feet from the tight fit of their shoes.

#10354 - 11/01/02 09:10 PM Re: cold weather survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thermarest, definitely not a luxury...<br><br>Don't wear too many layers or they get compressed, I like the Buffalo pile and pertex stuff<br><br>If you've got a good leakproof water bottle use it as a hot water bottle, it's nice to get into a warm bag, and the water will be that bit warmer in the morning for the tea.<br><br>Dry clothes and a hat, I like to pull it over my eyes<br><br>Justin

#10355 - 11/01/02 10:10 PM Re: cold weather survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fill a standard Nalgene bottle or USGI canteen with hot water, and place it inside the sleeping bag near the feet. A quick and easy tip that I've been using for years, and it never fails to keep me warm until I fall asleep.<br><br>Also, I agree with aardwolfe, a "pee bottle" is a great idea, and something I also use. Just make sure the cap is a noticably different color than the ones your are drinking out of. <br><br>John McIntire

#10356 - 11/03/02 04:16 AM Re: cold weather survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is a old survival trick.When you are setting by the fire put some rocks in the fire and let them get hot.When you go to bed wrap the rocks up in towels and put them in your sleeping bag.This will keep your feet warm.Hope this helps.

#10357 - 11/03/02 04:47 AM Re: cold weather survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>>>Also, I agree with aardwolfe, a "pee bottle" is a great idea, <br><br>You men get all the breaks! ;-]]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 586 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.