Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#107828 - 10/05/07 03:57 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You were right with the assessment that is was an overnight kit, but I don't see the reason to then turn around and try to turn it into a 72 hour kit. I don't see ANY pocket kit as 72 hour kit- not this, not the PSP, not the BCB tin, or anyone's home build. Overnight, and then go from there, but that is becuase the tools are the same- the difference is in the consumables. The lack of the aluminum foil isn't as minor as the lack of the sewing needle, but it is a quibble given the role of this kit.

Personally, I don't think they needed the fishing kit in it, but I explain my theory as to why it is there in another post in this thread.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#107835 - 10/05/07 07:35 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Nicodemus]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
When I see such disclaimers, I usually avoid the product fearing it will be nothing like what was advertised.

the PSP also has that disclaimer..

#107839 - 10/05/07 08:08 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
[
This is an overnight kit. It's not a one day kit or even a 72 hr kit.

If I was reviewing the kit it would as an overnight kit receive a solid good to excellent.

As a 72 hour kit I would rate it as Mediocre.

That is because there is NO provision for sterilising water.

As matters stand you will be dead or dying of dehydration, dehydration induced heatstroke or hypothermia, or dysentery before the 3 days (72hrs)are up.
If there was, which I feel means adding the tin foil component from the RSK I would consider it worth a Good to excellent rating.

I could and probably should quibble about the lack of sewing needles. But that is a detail.

I guess my view is it is all about playing the odds.

You have to weigh the chance of an incident against the trouble of going equipped for it. Everyone's comfort level varies, and I think most of the people on this forum have thought it through.

I'd expect an overnight kit to be enough for the majority of people in the majority of scenarios. I'd always suggest carrying more kit rather than less, but sit tight and wait for rescue, avoiding hypothermia is a good start imho.

#107846 - 10/05/07 01:20 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: JIM]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Originally Posted By: JIM
the PSP also has that disclaimer..

There is one reason I'd overlook the disclaimer in this particular case and it is that ETS gets some of the proceeds. However, to be completely honest, if either the Spark-Lite and Tinder Quick, Rescue Flash Signal Mirror, or Rescue Howler were the items replaced or deleted, chances are I'd not buy it.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
This lets them make such substitutions that do not reduce quantity, quality or functionality based on temporary supply issues without having to change the catalog picture for one production run of a product they've made without change for a decade or more

Actually it's that I don't trust most companies to replace items with products of equal quality because most will cut corners to make more of a profit if at all possible. Also, the disclaimer does allow for the deletion of items without replacement. Similar to the PSP, if either the Rescue Flash Signal Mirror, or Rescue Howler were missing from this kit, I wouldn't buy it at the price advertised.

#107866 - 10/05/07 06:12 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: ironraven]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: ironraven
You were right with the assessment that is was an overnight kit, but I don't see the reason to then turn around and try to turn it into a 72 hour kit. I don't see ANY pocket kit as 72 hour kit- not this, not the PSP, not the BCB tin, or anyone's home build. Overnight, and then go from there, but that is becuase the tools are the same- the difference is in the consumables. The lack of the aluminum foil isn't as minor as the lack of the sewing needle, but it is a quibble given the role of this kit.

Personally, I don't think they needed the fishing kit in it, but I explain my theory as to why it is there in another post in this thread.

I think that I need to expand my remarks slightly.

As a general rule: You hope for rescue within 24 hrs. You expect rescue within 72 hrs. You pray that you ain't still waiting for rescue after 72 hrs.
Because if you are, the possibility arises that either:
A) They cannot find you.
B) They are looking in the wrong place.
C) They cannot get to you.
D) The search has been called off.

In short you are MPD. That's Missing, Presumed Dead.

That means that Momma's little boy or girl is going to have to SR (Self Rescue) themselves.

You need Water, Warmth, Shelter. In no particular order. Which ever one you want first becomes number one. Those three should be shown on every survival kit. In a format similar to the one used for the Heat-Oxygen-fuel triangle used to explain fire and how to fight it.

Food, as most of you know is a much lower priority in Desert and Temperate environments. Arctic environments are a different matter.

However, if it goes to a SR situation, the fishing kit along with whatever else you have had the foresight to add could very well make the difference between life and death.

Most of us take it as a given that you have to enhance any commercial kit.

For example: My RSK has been moved to a tin. I have added more wire (for snares). 24 more hooks, A lure and quite a lot more line. Plus MP-1 tablet, Water carrier etc.

OK, having said all that:

The Solo is is a good buy for anyone who wants to add the excellent mirror, whistle, Tinder-Quick and Heat sheet to equipment that they already have. Or as a strap on kit for a life vest, parachute etc.

I simply think that the Solo needs to be either enhanced slightly at manufacture or the the information on the package needs a "We suggest that you add the following to this kit: Knife, Tin foil (15"x15"), Bottle of purification tablets, A water carrier of 0.5 to 1 litre capacity."

For that purpose, provided that there is sufficient spare room in the pouch for supplemental equipment, it is an excellent buy at a fair price.

One thing that I do think is irresponsible, BUT IS NOT American Medicals doing is the suggestion on one of the links that this is an up to 7 days kit.

#107912 - 10/06/07 02:48 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

You could make pretty much the same arguments against the PSP, Leigh. You moved yours to a tin becuase you were out of space and wanted to add more- by your own actions you are giving it the same criticism you are tossing at the SOL.

And honestly, if you've got signals and an IQ over room temperature, most people are going to get found in under 72 hours if someone knows you missing. They don't mean it is good for seven days, they recommend it as an accessory for an activity lasting from one to seven days, due to the logic that (a) you're probably going to only get lost once, and (b) if you were planning on being out for seven days you've got clothing, water and food. The only way to read it as "you can go out seven days with only this and be OK", which is basically what you are saying, requires either gross ignorance of the English language in modern usage, a significantly low IQ, or intentionally misreading the statement.

And I know it probably isn't the first or second option in your case. And you can't defend against either of those- there is no cure stupid. And it sounds like you expect them to create a kit that is exactly that.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#107913 - 10/06/07 02:54 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Nicodemus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Nicodemus, in this case you are grasping at straws with a handful of paranoia. I hate to be that blunt, but it is. Anyone who's been here for any length of time knows that AMK isn't a fly by night hack job.

Let me guess nicodemus, you always sniff your apple juice to be sure you didn't get a urine sample.

#107919 - 10/06/07 04:19 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: ironraven]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

For kicks and grins let's say I could be paranoid...

Regarding a company's status as dependable, some folks would say that Microsoft isn't a "fly by night company", and yet between my roommate and I we've had 2 different XBox 360s die a total of 3 times. The problem has clearly been due to the company cutting corners.

Sometimes it's not a company's fault. Not too long ago, here in the forums, we were informed that the manufacturer of a company's product let a bad batch go out. The company offered gladly to replace the item. I must admit that the product is one of my favorites and has always been dependable in my experience, but in this one instance they had a bad run. It happens. If this can happen with "tried and true" items then it makes me wonder about substitutions especially if no mention is made of what those possible substitutions may be. If a company has an itemized list and then a disclaimer that items can be substituted or deleted then the list is practically null and void for all intents and purposes from a consumer's point of view.

If AMK let me know ahead of time that I was getting a Fox 40 instead of a Rescue Howler, then most likely I'd be fine with the substitution even though it's a bulkier and less expensive item. The fox 40 is a quality replacement. In that vein, some substitutions would be acceptable. The problem comes when I don't know what I'm getting and it's covered under a disclaimer.

I was not trying to impugn AMK with my note of caution. I have several of their products (including DRPSPs) in various PSKs, FAKs and BOBs and I am very happy with them. I'm just relating the fact that when I see disclaimers like that it gives me pause as a consumer.

Simply put, a "tried and true" item could be replaced with something of lesser quality even if the company doesn't know that the new item isn't up to previous items standards.

As for the the other comment... Speculate on whatever you like...

Edited by Nicodemus (10/06/07 04:25 AM)

#107928 - 10/06/07 02:41 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Nicodemus]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus

If AMK let me know ahead of time that I was getting a Fox 40 instead of a Rescue Howler, then most likely I'd be fine with the substitution even though it's a bulkier and less expensive item. The fox 40 is a quality replacement.

The Rescue Howler is a Fox40 whistle. Not the original but the Micro.

#107936 - 10/06/07 03:43 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: billym]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Yes, thank you.

I meant the original Fox 40 whistle, which is apparently called the classic. I didn't know this. My apologies.

Edited by Nicodemus (10/06/07 03:52 PM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 644 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.