Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#103889 - 08/29/07 02:12 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: SARbound]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Bee
Is it supposed to be a beefier version of the original, DR PSK ?

Actually, I think it is designed to be even more entry level.

Signal gear. A firelighter than anyone can figure out (never did think of the sparklite as an IQ test before, Rio, but it is a good point). Shelter. And a fishing kit- it isn't really a survival kit unless there is a fishing module, just look in an military survival manual. :P

I think if they called it the Lowest Common Denominator kit, they wouldn't sell as many :), but it isn't a bad kit. It fills a slightly different niche than the PSP. Siblings, not clones.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#103938 - 08/29/07 01:24 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: ironraven]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
It's funny after reading many forum discussions about various kits, it seems that no one is ever completely satisfied with a store bought kit. How cool would it be if AMK (or anyone else for that matter) offered a make your own kit option? Go onto their website, click the check boxes for the items you want, then they package it into the container of your choosing and ship it to you smile Then again this would probably make the kits cost more, and after shipping, you may be better off taking a shopping cart into REI...

#107646 - 10/03/07 03:34 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Rio]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Bump..

Now the kit also is on their website:

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/kit_...kitNO=0140-0727

#107718 - 10/04/07 02:17 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: JIM]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
It might always end up being a more expensive but... I think the best way is to build a kit yourself, even if it means to salvage items from other kits or buying stuff in bulk.

However, for people that are not on this forum, I would say that the best thing to do is 1) learn basic first aid and 2) purchase the AMK Ultralight .9

My two cents smile

#107758 - 10/04/07 12:32 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: SARbound]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

I think for the general public, a portable shelter (heatsheet), some signalling (whistle/mirror) and a firestarter would be all I'd include.

I'd have, in BIG letters on the outside some basic advice (S.T.O.P or similar) plus a note that says 'Dress right, carry water, food, flashlight, pocketknife and tell someone where the hell you are going'

I'd guess 90% of the time sitting tight in the heatsheet and blowing the whistle is the best route for someone with no experience.

#107769 - 10/04/07 02:36 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: SARbound]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Bee
It might always end up being a more expensive but... I think the best way is to build a kit yourself, even if it means to salvage items from other kits or buying stuff in bulk.

However, for people that are not on this forum, I would say that the best thing to do is 1) learn basic first aid and 2) purchase the AMK Ultralight .9

My two cents smile

While I certainly agree with you, I fear most people simply don't have the patience or passion to put together a decent kit on their own.

A Ritter PSP makes a GREAT gift to encourage freinds/relatives to get "equipped". If you really care for them you could get them a PLB too :-)

For those folks, being able to start with Doug's PSP is a real advanatage and makes it much more likely to happen. Just add critical items such as a locking knife, mini Bic lighter, a few 55 gallon garbage bags, LED light, FAK, Micropur tablets, and some kind of folding 1L water container (even 1 qt Ziploc bags) and they're set to go.

Like you say, those "in the know" tend to have their favorite types/brands of kit items, but the stuff in Doug's PSP is first rate gear at a decent price.

#107785 - 10/04/07 05:55 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: bigreddog]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: bigreddog
I think for the general public, a portable shelter (heatsheet), some signalling (whistle/mirror) and a firestarter would be all I'd include.

I'd have, in BIG letters on the outside some basic advice (S.T.O.P or similar) plus a note that says 'Dress right, carry water, food, flashlight, pocketknife and tell someone where the hell you are going'

I'd guess 90% of the time sitting tight in the heatsheet and blowing the whistle is the best route for someone with no experience.

This is an overnight kit. It's not a one day kit or even a 72 hr kit.

If I was reviewing the kit it would as an overnight kit receive a solid good to excellent.

As a 72 hour kit I would rate it as Mediocre.

That is because there is NO provision for sterilising water.

As matters stand you will be dead or dying of dehydration, dehydration induced heatstroke or hypothermia, or dysentery before the 3 days (72hrs)are up.
If there was, which I feel means adding the tin foil component from the RSK I would consider it worth a Good to excellent rating.

I could and probably should quibble about the lack of sewing needles. But that is a detail.

#107799 - 10/04/07 08:05 PM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: frediver]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
S.O.L.
I hope they meant it to be a little bit of a joke...

Here's my favorite line in the description, or in any description for that matter:
"We reserve the right to add, substitute, or delete items if necessary"

When I see such disclaimers, I usually avoid the product fearing it will be nothing like what was advertised. As in... Yeah... When I got my "S.O.L." I realized I was SOL because the only thing included was the drysac and duct tape. laugh

#107823 - 10/05/07 03:00 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Nicodemus]
Katie Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
S.O.L.
I hope they meant it to be a little bit of a joke...

I think the worst-name-for-a-kit award goes to AMK for their AMK 'Optimist' First Aid Kit. I don't want to be carrying an optimistic first aid kit. I would feel much better about a 'Realist' or 'Pessimist' first aid kit. smile

#107825 - 10/05/07 03:24 AM Re: New AMK Kit ? S.O.L. [Re: Nicodemus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
"Survive Outdoors Longer" is the meaning- if you'd read the catalog description or the packaging, you'd have seen it. However, it is undoubtedly humor on their part; personally, I think they are trying to be cute. But I also don't like the name of the Optimist, although it does at least clearly designate the targeted portion of the population.

As for the disclaimer, it is there for stupid people. They show a picture with a dark red dry bag for the SOL. If they switch it to a bright orange dry bag, or use green rather than orange sparklites in the PSP, or use a generic acetaminophen rather than Tylenol in a FAK, some twit will whine. This lets them make such substitutions that do not reduce quantity, quality or functionality based on temporary supply issues without having to change the catalog picture for one production run of a product they've made without change for a decade or more.

AMK has too long of a reputation for there to be any question as to quality. From a slop artist, I might be concerned, but those are not the words I'd every apply to Adventure Medical.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 644 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.