Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#103235 - 08/22/07 03:07 AM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Spiritwalker]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
In our BOB we have a Vargo Stove

Its very lightweight and we have both esbit fuel tabs and denatured alcohol to power it. In our Backpacking gear (back up ALICE) we have a Clikstand with a trangia alcohol stove. The clikstand works really well and its worth the cost with all the use we get out of it. Nothing is better than quiet cooking and clean smells. White gas or kerosene smell on the hands is meal mood killer ;^).

I need to find a way to bake with these stoves though. Has anyone used the BakePacker ? Or used another method (besides heavy cast iron dutch ovens)?

Cheers,
Logan.

#103247 - 08/22/07 06:48 AM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Loganenator]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There was a method for baking on a stove that I have not tried, despite reading about it many years ago. Its one of the many thousands of things still on my To-Do List.

The theory is to put your food to be baked in a covered pot inside a larger pot, with some airspace all around. Set the smaller pot on a metal canning jar ring (the wide-mouth size might be best).

I think this would probably take some experimenting. And if anyone tries it, I would like to hear how it goes.

Sue

#103255 - 08/22/07 01:02 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Susan]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Susan
There was a method for baking on a stove that I have not tried, despite reading about it many years ago. Its one of the many thousands of things still on my To-Do List.

The theory is to put your food to be baked in a covered pot inside a larger pot, with some airspace all around. Set the smaller pot on a metal canning jar ring (the wide-mouth size might be best).

I think this would probably take some experimenting. And if anyone tries it, I would like to hear how it goes.

Sue

I've also read about baking in a pressure cooker with the weight removed/valve open (but I never got around to trying it, either). That might produce similar results.

#103264 - 08/22/07 01:37 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We do something like that with a crock pot, and a dutch oven, all the time. I realize that the crock pot required electricity, but I mention it here 'cuz it works so well. With a smaller round crock pot, a Wallyworld grease pot works perfectly, in the larger oval ones small loaf pans (get the non-stick surface ones for ease of cleanup). Rather than a Mason jar ring (which I didn't think of), we used three large (3/4" or so" stainless steel nuts (as in nuts and bolts). Arrainge them properly, and sit the pot/pan on them. Real easy is Jiffy biscuit/cornbread mix, but you can use your own mix as well. You will have to experiment with cooking time, and may be surprised, as we were, to discover that the biscuits will actually brown on top. We even stack the loaf pans, using a couple of pieces of coat hanger wire to place one pan above the other. We have even made two pans of different stuff at the same time. More experimentation requred for times/temps in the the dutch oven. My wife makes killer biscuits that way, in a round bread pan within the oven. Works like a champ...

ps: we do NOT usually cover the pot/pan within the crock/DO, but I guess that could depend on what you are baking...

#103266 - 08/22/07 01:45 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Additionally, Coleman used to make a simple sheet metal oven, complete with thermometer, that sat on top of a camp stove. A friend once made a perfect (well, it was eatable) birthday cake while elk hunting in the mountains of Colorado. I haven't seen one in years, but now Coleman makes this , an oven with its own power. I haven't seen one yet, so can not comment on how it works...

#103269 - 08/22/07 02:11 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Frank2135]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

And here's http://www.instructables.com/id/E4NBVPKF35J1OOE/?ALLSTEPS a recipe for baking bread in a pressure cooker.

#103271 - 08/22/07 02:27 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Frank2135]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

While looking at your link I found this one. Cooking with hot rocks in a pressure cooker sounds like the perfect "survival" cooking method...

#103276 - 08/22/07 03:25 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Cooking with hot rocks can work well - I've used them to heat water for tea or instant soup. I haven't used this particular method, but some of the comments at the bottom of the piece are dead on: Do NOT use sedimentary rocks - they can have moisture pockets that will cause them to explode when heated. Look for solid stones with no visible layers.

#103284 - 08/22/07 04:22 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Frank2135]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I too have heated with hot rocks, but never cooked. And you are right on about the rocks...

#103300 - 08/22/07 07:24 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Loganenator]
Spiritwalker Offline

Originally Posted By: Logan

I need to find a way to bake with these stoves though. Has anyone used the BakePacker ? Or used another method (besides heavy cast iron dutch ovens)?

Cheers,
Logan.

I've used an Outback Oven and it worked really well for biscuits and brownies. (I also used it a number of times to heat up Chunky Soup so I didn't have to stir constantly to prevent scorching and for some reason, it made the soup taste better. If anyone else tries it let me know if it's universal or I'm just wacked.}

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.