Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#102957 - 08/19/07 07:34 AM Cooking during a long term emergency
Spiritwalker Offline

I'm curious as to how folks are planning to handle cooking during a long term emergency at home (no power or gas) or if they need to bug out. What type of stoves/ovens they have or can make and what fuel they plan on using.

I have a couple of Coleman stoves with 4+- (Stabil-ized) gallons of fuel as well as a couple cast-iron dutch ovens and skillets for campfire cooking and a soda-can alcohol burner and a wood-gas stove made from a bean can. I plan on making a larger wood-gas stove (paint can sized) when work slows down a bit have been eye-balling some multi-burner type wood-gas stoves with ovens I saw on the web.

Edited by Spiritwalker (08/19/07 07:35 AM)

#102958 - 08/19/07 08:23 AM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Spiritwalker]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I now have a Campingaz Micro Bleuet stove, along with a few cans of gas.
I also bought a lantern, working out of the same cans.

Previously, I only had my alcool stoves (Trangia + penny stoves) and a few "solid fuel stoves" (esbit stoves, emergency candles ..)

#102966 - 08/19/07 01:31 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: frenchy]
MrDrysdale Offline

Loc: League City, Texas
This topic came up yesterday with my wife. We are in Galveston County Texas and have been watching Dean.

We have our large gas grill with 3 full 17 lbs tanks. A Coleman propane stove with an adapter to use the large propane tanks. About 4 small propane canisters. We have a duel fuel Coleman stove with both white gas and unleaded fuel ready. We also have a charcoal grill with charcoal ready. I guess I could build a fire and burn wood if I had to!

LOL
Mike

#102969 - 08/19/07 01:41 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Spiritwalker]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
The apartment complex we live in recently banned gas grills on all but the first floors so we had to give up ours. A few months ago I bought the White Box Stove over the internet and have tested it a few times boiling water, it's like a soda can stove only sturdier. It runs on denatured alcohol and is small enough to be easily tossed in a backpack and should be adequate for two. I grew up around campfires and wood stoves so if wood was available I would improvise a setup with that as well.

(BTW while trolling the net I did come across aluminum dutch ovens)

#102983 - 08/19/07 02:48 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Spiritwalker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Since we live in a motorhome, we always have a propane stove/oven with us, and a microwave/convection oven that we can run if necessary on the built in generator. Large propane tank built in, which we always keep full (when parked we run off of a seperate five gal tank). Off of either tank we can also run our propane BBQ. Dutch Oven in a storage compartment. (side note, we always keep the 100 gal fresh water tank full too) In the car we keep a single burner propane stove and several throw away bottle of fuel. In my day pack (which is always in the car) is a soda can alcohol stove and a bottle of yellow Heet for fuel, along with a Wallyworld grease pot. Couple more bottles of Heet stored in the RV. And speaking of alcohol stoves, as soon as I can bring myself to drink a small can of RedBull, I am going to try using it and one of the Bud aluminum beer bottles to make a stove similar to the White Box Stove mentioned above. Should be much tougher than a soda can stove. In the car is also a USGI canteen/cup/cup support stove. Axe and Sven saw are in the car, so we can build a fire if necessary. All of that should hold us for a while...

#102985 - 08/19/07 03:07 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Camping stove: whisper lite, with 2 cans of white gas. I also have 2 Esbit stoves with about 20 tabs (one in car, one in BOB).

But really, if it was that big a deal, I'd just make and use my camp fire. You don't really need anything all that special to toss on to some coals, or hang above.

#102990 - 08/19/07 03:39 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: frostbite]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I was looking at a photo of the White Box Stove, and wondered what those three things are around the top, just below the rim, that look like screws. What purpose do they serve?

Sue

#102996 - 08/19/07 05:08 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Spiritwalker]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
It depends upon the nature of the emergency and if I'm holing up or bugging out.

1) Bug Out/Short term emergency: Esbit stove with extra tabs. The goal is to boil water and add to mountain house backpacking meals.

2) Holing Up/Long term emergency: My Weber charcoal grill with my extra bags of charcoal. Charcoal is a lot cheaper than propane or gas, but it becomes a lot of work for just cooking small meals.

I'd like to get a Coleman Road trip grill with both the 1 lb. and larger propane tanks. It could be used for bugging out with a vehicle or staying at home.

#102997 - 08/19/07 05:08 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
They are pop rivets, apparently used to hold the two parts of the stove together, instead of the JB Weld that is usually used (and always cracks, in my experience)...

#103005 - 08/19/07 05:58 PM Re: Cooking during a long term emergency [Re: Spiritwalker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've got something of a Svea 123 /Optimus collection and enough white gas to keep me cooking for a while. In my BOB/Get-Home-Bag is an MSR Pocket Rocket and one cannister of Iso Pro (80/20 blend of isobutane and propane). Long term, I'd be someplace with a large supply of cordwood.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.