The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102829 - 08/17/07 04:44 PM New home practice scenario -- thought test
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Another practice scenario:

Here's the situation: you just bought a new house and are going straight from the closing to the home to spend the night. How do you prepare?

1. Its just you, spending the night, then going to work
2. the house is completely empty
3. Hint: its more than a " what gear to bring test..."

Teacher

#102830 - 08/17/07 04:46 PM Re: New home practice scenario -- thought test [Re: teacher]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

#1 - make sure the utilities are on - and in your name. solves a whole lot of issues.

#102838 - 08/17/07 04:53 PM Re: New home practice scenario -- thought test [Re: bsmith]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Gold star.

#102876 - 08/18/07 12:24 AM Re: New home practice scenario -- thought test [Re: teacher]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Make sure your cell works in the house. Introduce yourself to the neighbors.
Be sure to learn the house, to be cofortable moving around in the dark.

Edited by SBRaider (08/18/07 12:26 AM)

#102879 - 08/18/07 01:03 AM Re: New home practice scenario -- thought test [Re: teacher]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Since you went directly from closing to the home (and I'll take you literally that it's a new house, as in newly constructed):

1. Utilities was a great suggestion.

2. New house = no window coverings. (Unless you're immodest) sheet(s) or blanket(s) handy to tack over selected windows (and, of course, the means to attach/hang).

3. The movers most certainly haven't delivered your stuff yet (or, you haven't had time if you're moving yourself, since made B-line from closing to home), so a sleeping bag or air mattress or ??? to make your night on the floor minimally comfortable.

4. A roll of toilet paper.

5. Change of work clothes, toiletries kit, and a bath towel.

6. Cooler with ice to keep a few things (e.g. a celebratory six-pack) until the 'fridge gets delivered/hooked-up .

7. Of course, you were confident that it would close as scheduled, so you already gave the post office your change of address.

8. Check hot water heater, light it if it's not already cranked on.

9. Check to make sure filter has been installed on furnace.

#102930 - 08/18/07 09:52 PM Re: New home practice scenario -- thought test [Re: xbanker]
Blacktop Offline

Loc: Cypress, TX
1. Not really gear-related, but more security-related. Your deadbolt locks - assuming brand new house with others nearby still being built - are still accessible with other "master" keys held by contractors, sales agents, realtors, etc. until you follow the instructions on the key envelope. Something like inset key, turn left, then right two times, then left again, then put your right foot in and put your right foot...sorry, but you get the idea.
2. On your map of the area, figure out where important things are like the nearest police station, fire station, hospital, and Home-Depot (you'll be there alot!).

#102931 - 08/18/07 10:16 PM Re: New home practice scenario -- thought test [Re: teacher]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Know your new address, so that is bad things start to happen and you have to call for help on your cell (you obviously won't have a landline in yet, if ever), you know where to have the help come. "My new house" won't cut it...

#102932 - 08/18/07 10:52 PM Re: New home practice scenario -- thought test [Re: teacher]
Spiritwalker Offline

My BOB obviously. It has everything I'll need except sufficient water and a few situation specific items.

My cell phone. (Mobile charger in car and Turbo Charger and AA batteries in BOB.)

My laptop computer with extra batteries. I have a high-speed wireless card but battery life is limited.

Telephone numbers for local pizza or Chinese delivery, all utility companies and the non-emergency numbers for local police and fire departments.

A hammock stand. (I hate sleeping on the floor even on a full sized mattress.)

Folding/camp chair(s) and a folding card table. (In case I decide to cook instead of ordering food delivered. Or I can use the playing cards from my BOB to play solitaire if I can't sleep and don't want to read or surf the net. Extra chair in case a new neighbor stops by.)

A large battery lantern or gas lamp. I have a couple Coleman lanterns that will serve.

Work clothes.

A "normal" towel and wash cloth and a stand alone "make up" mirror for shaving.

Two 5 gallon water containers for washing, drinking and toilet flushing. (Assuming the water hasn't been turned on yet.)

A full roll of TP. (There is something comforting in a full roll of toilet paper that the squashed 1/4 roll in my BOB doesn't have.)

A small fire extinguisher.

A rubber sink stopper. (Can't wash/shave out of the sink if it won't hold water.)

Upon arrival, I'd call to have the utilities hooked up. (that can take several days in some areas)

Notify the local police that I've moved in, just in case someone reports me as a burgler.

Call the fire department, give them my cell number and let them know I will be cooking/heating water on a small stove. (In case a neighbor calls to report a fire.)

Set up my hammock (Hennessy in BOB) and stand.

Fill the tank on the toilet with water so I can flush as needed.

Set up table and chair(s).

Designate an area for cooking/heating water (Patio, deck or garage if using wood to heat wash water or kitchen counter/sink if I use my alcohol burner for cooking) if I don't want take-out or pizza delivered or it turns into more than just an overnighter.

Go around and introduce myself to the nearest neighbors and let them know I've moved in. (The "grapevine" will take care of the rest. smile )

#102933 - 08/18/07 11:24 PM Re: New home practice scenario -- thought test [Re: Spiritwalker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
How about a van with your disassembled bed, sheets, pillow and blanket wink My suitcase and a bunch of clothes on hangars. A quick trip to the grocery store for microwave dinners and your good to go. I did this once and made arrangements to store a bunch of stuff in the house before closing (which is really a formality with the intent of getting cramps in your hand from signing your name).

On the way "home" after closing I hit Giant Food for a couple bags of groceries and then spent the rest of the day setting up; I was half way done by bedtime. Next day my movers dropped by with the rest of my "stuff".

#102934 - 08/18/07 11:43 PM Re: New home practice scenario -- thought test [Re: xbanker]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

#8 is the one I missed -- Had to take a very cold shower in the am...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.