Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#102606 - 08/15/07 03:06 AM One for our OZ members
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sorry, for no link online yet. The news just reported a man in Australia went horseback riding, apparently blacked out and fell off. When he regained consciousness two crocodiles were approaching and a quick escape up a tree was made. 6 days later a helicopter spotted him, his horse having returned home alerting his family. O.k. no insults or jokes to the man in a bad situation not of his making.I won't comment on the loss of the legendary Waler to WW1 noted for endurance and loyalty in the poetry of A.B. Banjo Patterson. My lazy horses would leave me in a heartbeat once dinnertime rolls around. But, hey, I once owned the Rolls-Royce of Aussie stock saddles with the splendid stirrups, superior stirrup strap attachment, custom fitting to the horse and deep, if non centered seat. And most noticeable were poleys, invented by irish bushrangers who didn't know how to ride a horse but could steal one. I've been thrown from a few horses, fell with a few more.But I NEVER parted company while riding in my stock saddle. so, HOW DID HE DO IT? I bet he was riding western, right? P.S. I foolishly sold my saddle to a well known aussie actor who avoids mention of knives anymore.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/15/07 04:06 AM)

#102630 - 08/15/07 01:43 PM Re: One for our OZ members [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Sorry, for no link online yet. The news just reported a man in Australia went horseback riding, apparently blacked out and fell off. When he regained consciousness two crocodiles were approaching and a quick escape up a tree was made. 6 days later a helicopter spotted him, his horse having returned home alerting his family.

A couple of links to the story here and here

#102631 - 08/15/07 01:46 PM Re: One for our OZ members [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Horses. Dog food and glue, that is all they are good for, at least in my estimation. Sorry Chris...

#102660 - 08/15/07 04:02 PM Re: One for our OZ members [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
OBG, I don't think it was the horse's fault.

He FELL out of the saddle, and he wasn't dazed or unconscious when he did it... it was the hitting of the ground that dazed him.

The horse didn't leave, he stayed right with him. He later had to shoo the horse away from the tree.

The rest, I just don't understand. He got to the area where he fell off, on his own; he wasn't dumped into the unknown by space aliens. Why didn't he just get back on the horse and continue going where he was supposed to be going? If he couldn't do that, why not just go back the way he had come?

Movie? Yeah, that's what I would want to see: two hours of some dumb fool sitting in a tree and decorating it with toilet paper.

Sue

#102676 - 08/15/07 07:10 PM Re: One for our OZ members [Re: Susan]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
"Movie? Yeah, that's what I would want to see: two hours of some dumb fool sitting in a tree and decorating it with toilet paper."

I think it's been done. Crocodile Dundee VII, or something like that.

wink

#102680 - 08/15/07 07:22 PM Re: One for our OZ members [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm with Sue on this, don't any mistakes on the horse's part other than sticking too long with a fool
Quote:
. . . When he tried to escape in another direction, he came across another crocodile nest. Mr George decided he could not lead the horse out safely without risking his own life, so he found a tree and set up camp.

"I took the stirrup leather off, climbed up and strapped myself to the tree," he said.

"Every night from the second night on I could hear a bull croc bellowing out, and each night he seemed to be getting closer."

After a search was launched he tried everything to attract the attention of airborne rescuers, including flashing sunlight off his tobacco tin, waving his shirt on a stick and spreading toilet paper in the tree branches. "I set up my signals. But the scrub was that thick they couldn't see me through the foliage. It was very frustrating - they flew within 20ft of me at one stage," he said.

His food supply ran out by the third day, but Mr George stayed calm: "I knew I could go without food for as long as it took."

On the fifth day, the horse left - having somehow dodged the crocodiles - and Mr George faced the beasts alone. . . .

#102721 - 08/16/07 02:38 AM Re: One for our OZ members [Re: Russ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...they flew within 20ft of me at one stage..."

That is one fine pilot. And I never want to fly with him/her...

#102735 - 08/16/07 07:37 AM Re: One for our OZ members [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Do we need this to remind ourselves that what we have in our pockets/strapped to ourselves, is all we can be sure we have when we need it?

#102790 - 08/17/07 01:05 AM Re: One for our OZ members [Re: bigreddog]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...he found enough moisture to survive."

WHERE??? He was in a tree! The article didn't say it was raining.

If the crocs didn't go after his horse, he should have gotten on board said horse and left the area.

I've seen desert road signs with fewer holes in it than this guy's story.

Cynical Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 293 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.