Actually, I think the SPOT is fairly compelling (so I guess *this* sucker). I'm 100% for PLBs, but I think the ability to send data updates including location via satellite is a great feature.

Consider if your party is just taking longer than expected but you do not have an emergency. You could prevent a costly rescue attempt and prevent loved ones worry.

I can see them useful in non-outback situations as well. For example if there were ever a large earthquake in the area I'm sure cell phone and land lines would be useless for some time. This way, you should still be able to get word out. And a lot cheaper than a sat phone.

Sure, it isn't as serious of a rescue device as the PLB. The PLB is inherently more reliable based on it's design, but it is also a one trick pony.

In regards to bringing a cell to check in, coverage is just too closely tied with civilization to make it a good tool for this. You simply can lose coverage too easily. Sat phone would be good, but too costly.

Personally, I'd want both a SPOT and a real PLB in my party.

-john

Of course, a two-way sat pager would probably be just as good. Do they make sat text messaging two way pagers?

Edited by JohnN (08/17/07 12:41 AM)