Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#102668 - 08/15/07 05:24 PM Aquatank opinions
jbz Offline
Stranger

I'm looking at options to store sufficient water for 1 person and 1 pet for 60 days. I'm estimating 2 gallons/day for me and .5 gallons/day for the pet. That's all probably a bit more than needed, but better to err that way than the other.

That works out to 150 gallons of water. Raw space to put containers isn't much of an issue, but I'm trying to decide what sort of containers to use.

55 gallon drums are the simplest option, but I've run across the Aquatank II, which comes in a 150 gallon version, and I like the idea a lot.

When not in use, it is very compact, and thus easy to store and transport. It has standard hose connections for fill and drain, making plumbing it simple. Relatively inexpensive if bought from the right place.

My concerns mostly revolve around durability and puncture resistance. Don't want to have my water supply fail because of a hole in the bladder.

Anyone used one of these? Any opinions?

#102674 - 08/15/07 06:58 PM Re: Aquatank opinions [Re: jbz]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
While I have not used it, I will say it does seem a very interesting and viable idea. I might look into one. My primary concerns would be:

1) Is the plastic food-safe? Are there any chemicals which may leech into the water which may make it unfit for drinking?

2) Durability wise, that's a perfectly viable concern. However I think an advantage of something like this is the possibility of using a readily available vinyl repair kit (or even duct tape!) to fix it.

If space isn't an issue, why not opt for durabillity? Or buy a 500 gallon tank and be done with it smile

Personally I think this is neat but only from the standpoint of rapid deployment and ease of transport.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#102679 - 08/15/07 07:19 PM Re: Aquatank opinions [Re: garland]
jbz Offline
Stranger

They claim the plastic is food grade, so that's covered.

The thing I like about this bladder idea is that I could build a raised and covered platform to place it in, and then store things on top of that platform.

And if I move house, it's much easier to deal with than 55 gallon drums.

I really like the idea of a nice 200 or 250 gallon food grade tank, but I'd find it difficult to get something like that delivered and into my house without the neighbors noticing. Think I also like the idea of having my water storage spread across several containers so that a single failure of some kind doesn't eliminate my entire water supply.

I guess I really like the potential flexibility and easy transportability of the aquatank, but in reality, that flexibility and transportability will be seldom used. I guess that makes my decision for me.

#102698 - 08/15/07 10:07 PM Re: Aquatank opinions [Re: jbz]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Just keep in mind that 150 gallons of water weighs about 1200 lbs, and it should probably be raised high enough to get a bucket under the spout. Gravity feed has certain requirements.

Price being no problem grin, three 60-gallon bladders might be something to think about.

Also, were you intending to store it outdoors? Does it freeze where you live? If indoors, would a faulty seam cause a major household catastrophe?

Sue

#102727 - 08/16/07 03:45 AM Re: Aquatank opinions [Re: Susan]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
It's more reliable to store 150 gallons than expect to fill the Aquatank just before an emergency (earthquake?). Plus there's the eggs:basket issue - one container is prone to one leak, many containers not so much. If space is no object, consider smaller drums - 15 or 30 gallons, or both, along with some 3-5 gallon containers. At 8 lbs / gallon at least some of these are portable (in a car, anyway), even the 30 gallon containers with a hand truck. I have some 55 gallon drums filled, but they're not portable. Emergency Essentials has some good quality containers, all sizes.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 200 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.