Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#102772 - 08/16/07 06:33 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: KarenRei]
KarenRei Offline

A bit more research: I determined that the general category of pack I'm looking for is "panel loading", as opposed to the more common "top loading" that I'm used to. From what I've seen, I'd need it to be larger than I would for a toploader (which is fine by me; as stated, I'd gladly take extra weight for better organization).

Upd: Two packs that look like reasonbable approximations are the Granite Gear Nimbus and Stratus Latitude. You can pretty much fillet them right down the middle wink My only concern is some of the reviews report some sweat issues with them in hot weather. Still, the reviews tend to be very positive.

Well, at least I have a couple of good-looking choices, even if they do have their weaknesses.

Edited by KarenRei (08/16/07 09:16 PM)

#102773 - 08/16/07 06:38 PM Re: Backpacks [Re: KarenRei]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Karen,
I/we don't know where you're located, but I'd recommend a stop by one of the REI outlets or other outfitter with a good selection of packs to look at. The selection at REI Extended Trip Packs is a start.

#102791 - 08/17/07 01:07 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: KarenRei]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Ramen noodles, mmm yum! Yep - I'm quite familiar with them. I get either the cheap generic no names stuff from the local store or the more flavourful ones from a little Chinese store off downtown. Egg noodle, rice noodle, etc. My fav is actually to add a Chinese pork sausage chopped up and steamed on top of the noodles. I also bring along miso soup mix and hot&sour soup mix. My first day/or two out I bring an egg to drop in with the soup mix!

Oh, sorry, had to reread about the velcro on the inside - my goof.

About pack volumes - I'm sorta goofy with the mixed measurement systems. I almost never think about packs in cu. in. - just in litres and yet I'm still hog tied to thinking in lbs instead of kilos! My apologies to the Americans who had to scratch their heads a bit! smile

The MEC Brio 70 (72 litre) is a cheap bag - not in quality but in price. For $99 CDN (nix - it went up to $109 this year), it has all the features and adjustability that a far more expensive bag would have. Both packs are mainly top loaders but the MEC bag has 2 side zippers to add easier access to the interior, loops on the bottom to attach another small bag and the x-bungee cord on the front which will accept a lot more gear. I used it last year and the suspension easily accepted a 60-65lb load, I had never loaded it up to that weight before so I was quite pleased at how it handled. You can also buy external pockets from some manufacturers but I've never been a fan of them because it just means your pack profile is wider which makes going through heavy bush a little tougher to manage.

My new Osprey Aether 60 (60 litre) is a sleek top loader with a removable lid. I much prefer it for weekend trips. I classify myself as a mid-weighter (I can't really buy into some of the ultralighter philosophy where they chop everything to the bare bones and hope/prepare for the best situations, and prepare to suffer in the less than ideal conditions).

Given that you hauled 60 lb loads with your previous pack, I'd say your estimate of your pack size is either a bit low or you had a lot of gear on the outside. grin

For a week load, I will pack my 10 litre Ursack stuffed full of food. It's still pretty light (10 lbs) as I never bring canned food or fresh fruit except for the first meal.

#102800 - 08/17/07 03:17 AM Re: Backpacks [Re: Roarmeister]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
A big plus 1 for the Kifaru. They are expensive, no getting around it, but you won't be able to wear them out. I have an Express with an E&E and a couple of side pockets that I'll put on or take off depending on how much room I need. As polack said, the Maurader is pretty close to what you described. Kifaru has interior pockets that attach to the molle webbs or you can use any manufacturers pockets that use standard molle.

The E&E is also a pretty cool setup. Attaches to the larger pack to increase capacity, pulls off quickly and has its own shoulder straps so it can be a stand alone small day pack. You can't go wrong with it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.