Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#102584 - 08/14/07 10:11 PM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situation [Re: Melissa]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Melissa,

Welcome to the forum. I too lurked here for some time before an intro. You will find many new friends and advise here as I have. As others here have mentioned this is a hard lesson in life, yet you have already shown the character it takes to survive. Remember as one door closes another will yet open. Take the oppourtunity and move forward in your lives together.

Best of luck,

kmat

#102585 - 08/14/07 10:24 PM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situation [Re: Melissa]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You're right, this is another real life survival situation. In between jobs, I have fallen back on my emergency stores a couple of times.

This is a difficult situation to prepare for as well. You and your daughter will be in my prayers for a VERY long time!

Never give up!!!

#102592 - 08/14/07 11:57 PM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situation [Re: wildman800]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Your situation is regrettable, and yet through your experience, others can take a lesson from life.

When you are making a decision that will have a profound impact on your lifestyle and your freedoms, you had better be able to make a solid, realistic decision. Sometimes no matter what you do, the outcome is still going to be unsure, so you must prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. In matters of love, you must balance desire with reason and make sure that the investment you are making is not frivilous. It seems easy for me to say this now, but I tell ya, I grew up with this sort of thing over and over, and I married a woman who thought she knew too long before I came along, and ended up getting burned just the same. Now I've got someone else's daughter who calls me daddy, and has been for the last 19 years, and is doing great things.

Melissa, life goes on, you do what you have to for you and your kid, and so long as you don't give up and keep at it things will work. All it takes is time and determination. In the meantime, keep the faith.

#102620 - 08/15/07 11:08 AM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situation [Re: Melissa]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I am sorry for your predicament. I really hate guys like your ex who give men a bad name.

Don't think all men behave in this way.

#102621 - 08/15/07 11:10 AM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situati [Re: justin2006]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: justin2006
My sister is now going through what you are experiencing, except her husband recently abandoned her after 16 years of marriage and two young children (aged 7 and 4); also $80k in debt, not including the mortgage on the house.

I wish you (and my sister) didn't have to go through something as awful as this, but I admire your strength and resolve.

Regards,

Justin

I don't understand these guys who just abandon their wifes during the greatest time of need. they just left their wifes out of the blue. I am so angry at this kind of behavior. mad

#102632 - 08/15/07 01:49 PM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situation [Re: Melissa]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newgal!

My wife was once a single parent of three, holding down a full time job, taking 18 units in college, and doing her Navy Reserve time, so she feels your pain. I think of her as a poster child of what can be done. Seems that most women just suck it up and get on with things, many guys just go to the bar and weep in their beer...

#102644 - 08/15/07 02:37 PM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situati [Re: Melissa]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I would also like to extend my wishes of luck to you, Melissa. I hope you keep the strength that you have graciously expressed in your post, not just for you, but for your daughter as well. I can understand how frustrating it must be when you think you have done good job of preparing by making sure you’re financially and emotionally prepared to raise a child, then have someone else throw a wrench in the works.

#102647 - 08/15/07 03:01 PM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situation [Re: Melissa]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Melissa,

I'm so sorry for your loss and especially for your daughter loosing a father. There is a special place in the afterlife for parents who abandon their children (not to be confused with those parents who bless their children with the opportunites offered by adoption).

You need to find a support structure. Do you have family in the area that can help?

I would most certainly advize you to find a local place of faith and worship (a church or similar) and make yourself known to their leaders and community. Even if you're not terribly religious, you'll find people can be amazingly willing to help out those in need. Don't wait. Your daughter needs the help. Do it now. You need help - physically, financially, mentally, and emotionally.

#102653 - 08/15/07 03:24 PM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situation [Re: Melissa]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Unfortunately, I know entirely too many women in the same (or worse) situations. Why men freak out and leave after kids come is a subject too vast for this forum, however, in terms of economics, it's a fast path to bankruptcy for the women who are left behind.

At this point, hanging on to the house is a Bad Idea. While the legal principles and responsibilities related to "abandonment" in a divorce are pretty clear, the reality is that it can take years for it all to settle out. Get out now, you can't afford it. If you can set a target to live with another family or friend for 4 months (and by all means, set a departure date!) now it the time to do it. Sell everything you can - cash is king now, you know that, but it's ever-more difficult to maintain the cash-flow.

I've posted here that fiscal preparedness is the key to survival in our modern culture, and that's a fact.

Now here's something you may not realize - but there are plenty of places that would let you bring baby to work with you. No kidding, just ask. There's a health food store near us and for the last 10 years, there's been someone with a baby in a playpen behind the counter. This is a good time to be looking for part-time work, and total honesty at the job application process is a good idea. People will help you.

#102656 - 08/15/07 03:45 PM Re: Now this is a real doozy of a survival situation [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Martin is right, sell everything you can, while you can. Esp his stuff ;-). And its always better to sell the house, even if you just break even, than to just walk away from it.

And call your $80k worth of creditors if you can. Talk to them, tell them what has happened. Sometimes they can do a little something to help.

If you're going for a divorce, get the best lawyer you can afford. Often, the initial visit is free.

Best of wishes for your future. You'll do fine, as you sound like a survivor.

Sue

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.