The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#102292 - 08/10/07 10:11 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: Cyblade]
nouseforaname Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Cyblade
Theres no excuse to not have stuff ready for an emergency people are just lazy and they expect .gov to come save them and make everything better.

the expectation to be protected and cared for by FEMA and the like reverberates throughout our society. (why should i have a gun for home-protection? i have 911!) part of me feels bad for them. the other side could care less...as you have pointed out the ease of which one can, at least moderately, prepare themselves for a multitude of eventualities.
the line one must walk between being a well-prepared, forward-thinking citizen and a misanthropic, "survivalist" is fine indeed. i guess i have lost my faith in humanity at this point and pray that people get it together before its too late. frown

#102320 - 08/11/07 01:48 AM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: nouseforaname]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
One time or another, I've asked most of my co-workers if they've made any disaster preparations. All but two brushed off the question, saying that they would go live with friends or relatives. One said she and her husband would just wait for someone (read: govt) to come to help them.

Only one has a family-sized tent, a non-electric heat source, and has collected water, food, a decent FAK, and has made some plans. Unfortunately, she lives just 25 miles below a volcano, very near a river from the same source, and the major way out is a single 50-mile two-lane road.

Sigh.

Sue

#102336 - 08/11/07 04:21 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: Susan]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
According to a recent article on emergency preparedness in a national news magazine, there are four states of denial involved in the failure to be prepared.

1. It won't happen here.
2. If it does happen here, it won't happen to me.
3. If it does happen to me, it won't be too bad.
4. If it does happen here, and it does happen to me, and it is bad, it was God's will and so couldn't be helped anyway.

#102339 - 08/11/07 05:12 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: saniterra]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: saniterra
According to a recent article on emergency preparedness in a national news magazine ...

The Time magazine article didn't provide any great revelations, but disheartening nevertheless.

Excerpts: "We know exactly — exactly — where the major disasters will occur...but individuals underperceive risk."

"[Disasters] are made much worse by our own lack of ambition — our willful blindness to risk as much as our reluctance to work together before everything goes to hell."

"...the past year in disaster history suggests that modern Americans are particularly, mysteriously bad at protecting themselves from guaranteed threats...in times of crisis, our greatest enemy is rarely the storm, the quake or the surge itself. More often, it is ourselves."

Uniquely American, or a global phenomenon?

#102360 - 08/12/07 02:38 AM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: xbanker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I wouldn't be surprised if we couldn't blame it on fifty years of television. All problems solved in 30 to 120 minutes (including commercials).

But I've never been to another country, so I don't know.

I wonder if the citizen of Botswana (etc) think the same way?

Sue

#102436 - 08/13/07 12:30 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: norad45]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: norad45
Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
it's not about availablility, but just plain laziness on the part of most people.

I think it is partially a naive belief that disasters only happen to the other guy.

And an equally naive belief that it is the governments job to take care of everybody, and the absurd belief that the government can.

This, I agree, is the winning trifecta. Not only for our society now, but for every society in the past that has had a woefully unprepared population. The differences now that make it harder to excuse are the wide availability of good information, and the equally wide availability of supplies and gear that could save lives.

Frank2135

Edited by Frank2135 (08/13/07 12:31 PM)

#102919 - 08/18/07 07:09 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: norad45]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
It seems to me that the first piece of equipment people need to have to be "equipped to survive" is the idea that things can go from "normal" to "survival" in seconds, and that it will be your actions, not 911's, that spell the difference between survival and the alternative. I have had this happen too many times to me. I was there for the riots in DC in '68; twice I have had "freak" winter storms turn a 30 minute commute into a 4 and 12 hour "adventure". Recently, our power went out for 7 days because a hurricane knocked a branch off a tree, which then broke a power line. The line was on a main street 1 block from my house. The local power company needed 7 days to get a crew available to fix it.

I have a friend who works in downtown Washington D.C. who worries about a possible next attack on D.C. -- dirty bomb, biological etc. Yet, he can't seem to bring himself to prepare to "bug out."

Our society and culture has conditioned us that we are not responsible individuals, rather, it conditions us that we will be taken care of.

Only after you get out of this mind-set can you then think about the "hardware" aspects. They are step 2, not step 1.

#103060 - 08/20/07 12:46 PM Re: 7% Are Prepared — Really? [Re: saniterra]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
That reminds me of the Foreign Office 4 stage plan:
  • In Stage One we say that nothing is going to happen.
  • Stage Two, we say something may be going to happen but we should do nothing about it.
  • Stage Three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
  • Stage Four, we say maybe there is something we could have done, but it's too late now.
(According to Yes Minister).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 531 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.