Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#102227 - 08/10/07 05:50 AM Re: Category 0 Storm Cripples NYC Transit [Re: MartinFocazio]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
Just an observation: these tanks are on the roof and exposed to weather so it looks like they could easily be damaged and lose or limit the stored water?

#102228 - 08/10/07 06:00 AM Re: Category 0 Storm Cripples NYC Transit [Re: MartinFocazio]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
My family has lived in College Point for about 80 years or so. Although I no longer live there myself, I did live there in the 1980's, after my parents divorced and we moved in with my grandparents for a time. I remember very well the two hour commute to high school at Stuyvesant HS in Manhattan.

I also remember very well the fun week we had in 1985 during Hurricane Gloria. The rest of my family was living in Ocean City, NJ at the time and were evacuated. Gloria was packing a serious punch and was at one point looking like she was going to head right into New York Harbor.

I was at home at 17 years of age with my late-80's great-grandmother while my grandparents were up in Lake Placid reliving their honeymoon. Not a fun situation to be in! Fortunately for New York City, Gloria turned east, ripped straight across Long Island and headed right up the Connecticut River. It tooks literally *years* for all the damage to be repaired.

I don't know what the current state of the subway system is, but I distinctly remember a huge story in the papers back then detailing the ages of various sections of track. Some of the tracks I regularly rode to school hadn't been replaced since they were originally laid in 1903. I'm sure some of the other infrastructre is that old, as well.

As far as fault lines are concerned, the Hudson River Fault is a major fault. I remember two earthquakes in the 1980's of 4.4 and 4.5 on the Richter Scale. Shook the hell out of the house. I also remember when the three giant oil storage tanks blew up in North Jersey. That shook the house, too. A bunch of the neighbors and I ran down to the park to see if a plane had crashed at La Guardia, but we found out about the explosion when we went home and heard the news on WINS.

If a major hurricane hit New York City, there would never be enough warning to evacuate in time. There's just too many people.

#102306 - 08/11/07 12:09 AM Re: Category 0 Storm Cripples NYC Transit [Re: DesertFox]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The water tunnels are DEEP. I mean REALLY DEEP. Like 675 Feet below the surface deep.

http://www.atlasmagazine.com/photo/sacha6/

#102307 - 08/11/07 12:11 AM Re: Category 0 Storm Cripples NYC Transit [Re: DesertFox]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
There's a fault under 125th street.

#102349 - 08/11/07 10:28 PM Re: Category 0 Storm Cripples NYC Transit [Re: Arney]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Arney
...snip...Then again, during Queen's extended power outage last summer, I don't recall reading any news stories about people in taller apartment buildings have their taps run dry on higher floors, so I could be wrong. Hmm, or maybe those buildings all had non-electric backup pumps?

There were a few building that did run out of water - I was doing comms for a Red Cross team that was sent out to distribute water. The thing is, byt the time we got there, the power was on

And yeah, below the 6th floor it's gravity feed. Worst comes to worst, go down to street level and get water.

An earthquake or a local disruption IS possible - which is why I DO store water here in NYC
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#102350 - 08/11/07 10:32 PM Re: Category 0 Storm Cripples NYC Transit [Re: MartinFocazio]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
The water tunnels are DEEP. I mean REALLY DEEP. Like 675 Feet below the surface deep.

http://www.atlasmagazine.com/photo/sacha6/

That actually depends - for instance, up near the Ashokan, I USED to own property that was right next to the Aquaduct #2 tunnel - in that location, it's only a few feet down
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#102434 - 08/13/07 11:45 AM Re: Category 0 Storm Cripples NYC Transit [Re: KG2V]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The water supply system for NYC is composed of elements from various times dating back 150 years or more. In some areas, the tunnels are over 1,000 feet below the surface. In some areas, the pipelines are partially exposed on the surface. The water supply is now over 1.1 billion gallons per day to the greater metro area. There is a leak in one of the main tunnels that exceeds a million gallons per day. Plans are in the works to put together a redundant backup system and then take the old tunnel line out of service and seal the cracks. Also there are a number of water treatment processes planned to be installed in the system to ensure the quality of the water.

Fortunately, there's plenty of water in the drainages to meet demands. Those poor blokes in Brisbane are going to be drinking "Recycled" water soon. You should hear the rantings of the libs there about that!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 261 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.