Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#98984 - 07/03/07 12:46 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: billym]
weldon Offline
Journeyman

Don't forget, peanut butter has a fairly short shelf life. If you look at the expiration date it is rarely a year out. Even sealed it has a tendency to go rancid over a fairly short period of time, certrainly not by the expiration date, but I would imaine 18-24 months. I stock a lot of pb... love it and it fits in the diet my doctor has me on. I store it in my spare fridge and keep 30-40lbs on hand. If you aren't going to cycle through it like a minature elephant though you might limit how much you store.

#98991 - 07/03/07 01:20 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.... [Re: DeathtoToasters]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Buy what you eat as far as canned and dried goods go. Rice, pasta, canned soup.

I might shy away from MREs. My last experience with one was not pleasant.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98992 - 07/03/07 01:24 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: weldon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Maybe MRE peanut butter packs???

#98998 - 07/03/07 01:46 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: billym]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: billym
What is your goal?
72 hours?
SHTF?
TEOTWAWKI?

For the basic 72 hour scenario why not just stock up on canned items you already eat that only need heating?

For the longer term scenarios you probably need to go with freeze dried, dehydrated and MRE's.

My first thoughts are 72 hour...but we have enough in the house for that already.

My other main goal is the Long Term in 1-2 year supply.

In the past I preferred to get the Mountain House Packages...not the cans. Just so I can have a more controlled portion system, but that was before I had 4 kids. That was just when I had my wife and I.

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#99002 - 07/03/07 02:04 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
With four kids and a spouse, buying mountain house in the cans might be cheaper than the individual packages. I would think that with six people you could go through a can before the food would spoil. There's just my wife and me in our household, we might not be able to get through the can fast enough (before spoilage or food boredom).

If you do go with MH foods, you might want to include them as part of your regular meal plan (perhaps 1 or 2 times per week). Then your family will be used to them and switching to Mountain House won't be an additional stressor during a disaster.

You also may want to look at buying beans, rice and noodles in bulk (say in 25 pound bags). You could then repackage these items into smaller vacuum sealed bags. If you toss in some freeze-dried vegetables with beans and rice, you'd end up with a simple meal that's nutritious.

The last recommendation that I can make is to store some general multi-vitamins. Your diet doesn't have to be perfect, but if thinking long term the multi-vitamins would cover scurvy and other diseases related to vitamin deficiences.

Best of luck. Let us know what your plans are, because I might want to borrow some ideas.

- Brian

ps - The word "toasters" also refers to the old cylons in "Battlestar Galactica" (1978 - 1979)

Edited by BrianTexas (07/03/07 02:05 AM)

#99003 - 07/03/07 02:15 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: BrianTexas]
DeathtoToasters Offline

This site seems to have alot of info also:

http://survivalacres.com/

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

#99004 - 07/03/07 02:17 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: BrianTexas]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Originally Posted By: BrianTexas

ps - The word "toasters" also refers to the old cylons in "Battlestar Galactica" (1978 - 1979)

Yeah I know, alot of people think I got it from that.

I actually got it from a Terminator novel a few years ago.

#99007 - 07/03/07 02:38 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Ok, look at this page:

http://survivalacres.com/mountainhouse/nutrition.html

Look at the Sodium content of the Mountain House food. Is this alot? I just don't know.

#99008 - 07/03/07 02:38 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If a year or more is your goal, you might want to look here . Maybe not the most convenient, since just about everything comes in #10 cans, but I suspect (but have never compared) that it will be cheaper than Mountain House, or anything similar...

#99013 - 07/03/07 02:52 AM Re: Ok, Let's discuss food storage manufacturers.. [Re: DeathtoToasters]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
For something that can be stored forever, which is sounds like you want, you're going to have two choices:

The red wheat/dried corn/dried legume/beef jerky diet, packed in nitrogen or carbon dioxide.

Or

Elevated sodium content- it is a preservative and desiccant. But your dehydrated stuff isn't as bad some of the other options that don't last as long. So long as your seal is good, the mountain house cans supposedly last forever.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.