The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101603 - 08/04/07 08:35 PM bow drill fire making
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm going to be going camping in Virginia next week and would like to try my hand at making a fire using a bow drill. What is the best wood for this in this area? Central Virginia to be exact.
Thanks.

#101613 - 08/04/07 10:24 PM Re: bow drill fire making [Re: LumpyJaw]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I am just learning this method myself. One good website is
http://www.primitiveways.com/
A really infomative site.
You do not generally want wood that is too hard or too soft. Pitchy wood usually don't work.
They have a list of woods on the site but it is based here in N. California.
Have fun on your trip! Take some pictures and post them later.
Bill

#101708 - 08/05/07 09:07 PM Re: bow drill fire making [Re: LumpyJaw]
DougM Offline

In general DEAD, DRY cottonwood works quite well and (I think) grows all over the country (under the proper conditions).

#101870 - 08/07/07 03:19 PM Re: bow drill fire making [Re: DougM]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
Tom

#101874 - 08/07/07 03:53 PM Re: bow drill fire making [Re: billym]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention here or anywhere else, when you start put a pinch of SAND in your notch it will increase the friction and produce heat and spark quicker than just the wood alone

#101879 - 08/07/07 04:33 PM Re: bow drill fire making [Re: raydarkhorse]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
Wow.. I never even heard that when I was in the boy scouts. That's awesome, cuz god knows how hard it is to get a bow-drill setup going if you've not been doing it for a while.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#102224 - 08/10/07 04:33 AM Re: bow drill fire making [Re: raydarkhorse]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
You have to be very careful with the sand or you'll destroy the spindle and fire board much more quickly than when both are in contact with nothing else in between. Essentially you're adding an abrasive to the mix. The larger the grit, the more you'll wear away with each spin much like sandpaper. Also, sand will quickly wear grooves into both the spindle and fire board and that reduces the area of friction.

I usually only use sand if I've managed to burnish the wood and I want to rough it up quickly and break through the polish and compression. After I break through, I clean the sand out.

YMMV of course.

Regarding woods that you can use in Virginia (incomplete):
Cottonwood
Weeping Willow
Sassafras
Basswood
Maple
White Cedar
Red Cedar
Ash
Aspen
Various Poplars
Eastern Hemlock (as sap free as possible)
Staghorn Sumac (not poison sumac LOL)

Hardwoods have high ignition temperatures and the firs, spruces and pines tend to be very resinous, so you might want to stay away from them to start. People with more gumption than I have gotten many of types of all of these to produce coals though so it's not impossible.

Edited by Nicodemus (08/10/07 04:39 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#102233 - 08/10/07 09:50 AM Re: bow drill fire making [Re: Nicodemus]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Thank you for the list of various woods. That helps a lot.
If successful, I'll try to have pictures on the site. If not, I'll just write about it.
Lets hope for pics!
Tom

#102266 - 08/10/07 04:30 PM Re: bow drill fire making [Re: LumpyJaw]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
You're welcome.

I can't wait to see and/or read about it!

#104592 - 09/04/07 06:42 PM Re: bow drill fire making [Re: DougM]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: DougM
In general DEAD, DRY cottonwood works quite well and (I think) grows all over the country (under the proper conditions).

I have made an ember with a cottonwood fire-board and spindle.

Try using a cotton cord for your bow. I think it slips less than some other cord. The bow, fire-board, spindle and socket are the easiest parts to construct. The tinder bundle may be the biggest challenge. Cottonwood bark can work. We have used shredded Juniper bark for our tinder bundles with great success. Sometimes I have gotten an ember but was unable to get a flame from the tinder bundle with other materials. I think you should work on the tinder bundle first and then work on the fire bow parts. Try putting a neckerchief on the ground and shredding your material over it. The really fine material that collects on your neckerchief will be key to catching the ember into a flame. Don't forget to put a piece of bark or your knife under your fire-board notch to catch the ember so you can pick it up and place it in the tinder bundle in the spot with the finest tinder. Then wrap the tinder around the ember and blow into the bundle. Make sure the tinder bundle is not too tight. It needs to be kind of loose so it can get a lot a air. Locking your wrist against your shin is key to keeping the socket from moving. Take nice long strokes with the bow. Keep going for another 10+ seconds after you start getting smoke. When you stop and the ember keeps smoking you are good. Once you have an ember there is no big hurry; the ember will keep burning for several seconds. You now have punk; like what is used to light fireworks.

So far my favorite parts are: Saguaro fire-board, Yucca spindle and a Juniper bark tinder bundle. I can get an ember quickly and easily blow it into a flame with these plants.

For store bought parts I have found that a ceder board makes a good fire-board with a pine dowel. Take toilet paper and shred it to make a tinder bundle. Almost anything will work for the bow and socket if they are the right shape.

Be sure to put some Chap-Stick or something in the socket to reduce friction.

Making fire by friction is one of those things that seems like a waste of time; but is a great emotional experience once you make it happen. grin

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 596 Guests and 123 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.