The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101552 - 08/04/07 05:27 AM Concept Kit
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I want to lay out a kit idea I've been building for a few weeks now based on my own ideas and some conversations on the forum. The idea started when I started thinking about "escape" kits. Since then people have talked about discrete carry of kits for the office. People have also discussed different situations where a person might leave their kit behind when they need it most. The kit is sort of sub-EDC as far as the hierarchy of tools and kits people carry. It is beyond basic, perhaps not even useful in many situations. But it trys to solve the problem of having your kit with you when you need it even if you aren't thinking about it or someone else doesn't want you to have it. However, so far it won't survive a magnetometer or a frisk, but it does jump start you in some crucial areas in ways that are difficult to improvise.

The kit I put together consists of a canvas pouch 3"x6" attached to 7' of paracord. The paracord is enough to be wrapped around the waist or chest twice to support the pouch which can then be concealed in the pants or under a shirt.

The pouch contains:
1 MRE Hot Beverage Bag (thick ziplock bag that holds ~20 ounces)
$50 cash including $10 in one dollar bills
20 strike anywhere matches in mini ziplock bag
3'x1 1/2" cloth first aid tape folded flat
6" of hacksaw blade
knife blade from a swiss card
button compass

The knife blade is a stand by, I'd like to replace it with a very small mora blade, but that will have to wait for the moment. The cash is what I could spare when I put the kit together, more money is always more money. I chose matches over a mini bic lighter since they lay flatter and you know exactly how many fires you have.

I've already thought of a few possible improvements while I wrote this, tell me what you think.

#101554 - 08/04/07 05:49 AM Re: Concept Kit [Re: AROTC]
CentralOklahoma Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Carry a standard HANDCUFF KEY.

Ditch the matches and carry a SMALL bic lighter. 20 matches can get broken and wet. Lighter COULD run out of juice, but then you still have the spark.....

Just ideas.

#101557 - 08/04/07 06:22 AM Re: Concept Kit [Re: AROTC]
bat69 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fl, USA

I'm a federal employee and work in a secured location and carry a lot more than that in both my vehicle, and on my person on a daily basis. Just make sure to see what the laws and regs are concerning any item you want to carry into any area. Often times company/federal regs can prohibit things that you arent aware of.

Unless you're a prison guard in a high risk area i doubt that you would be frisked. Don't sweat it.

a blade (non locking) thats under 2.5 inches in length is legal where I work and in most federal facilities unless prohibited by local regulations. Could i carry a chris reeve sebenza, or Doug's PSK inside my facility?

Not a chance.. If i was caught with them I could very likely go to Prison.( especially if I was in a cryptologic access area )

Descretion is the better part of valor, So I carry a little 2 inch non locking folder, but I keep it to myself. Just like everything else that normally resides in my briefcase. I have a Johnson and Johnson Pocket first aid kit (5 bucks at wallgreens )in it that's chock full of PSK items. ( 2 scalpel blades, 2 lighters, cash, photons, pure aqua tabs, mylar blanket, 550 cord, 4 ft of duct tape, matches, etc. )

I would STRONGLY advise you to NOT conceal, strap, tape, wire, or adhere ANY package or container to your person. With the anti-terrorism climate in this country, it is asking for trouble. You IMMEDIATELY become suspected of no good.

Just sayin..

#101558 - 08/04/07 06:48 AM Re: Concept Kit [Re: bat69]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: bat69

I would STRONGLY advise you to NOT conceal, strap, tape, wire, or adhere ANY package or container to your person. With the anti-terrorism climate in this country, it is asking for trouble. You IMMEDIATELY become suspected of no good.

Just sayin..

Solid advice no matter where you are and what you are doing, that's just asking for trouble.

#101578 - 08/04/07 01:56 PM Re: Concept Kit [Re: AROTC]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I agree with the others that hiding anything is always suspiscious. Hiding in plain sight is better. While not a "real" knife, these are better than nothing. Two blades, pliers, screwdrivers, key chain, flashlight, all rolled into one...

#101583 - 08/04/07 03:41 PM Re: Concept Kit [Re: AROTC]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Why not just cover your bases with your EDC?
Put a mini Bic in your pocket, a photon on your keys, maybe a Hot Spark too. Instead of stashing $50 in a kit keep $50 extra in your wallet, under the insole of your shoe or somewhere else on your person.
As far a blades be flexible. If your edc can't go somehwere (like a plane) improvise. I carry a pair of EMT shears in my computer bag when I fly. I have never had a TSA agent even acknowledge them in 20+ trips through the check points all over the US. I have begun "experimenting" with leaving a SAK Classic in my computer bag and so far......

Anyway my point is that IMO you don't need to keep making kit after kit for every situation. Your EDC can cover 90% of your needs.
And I don't mean walking around with the "Bat Belt" and/or your pants falling down with over loaded pockets. A simple gathering of useful stuff in your edc will suffice. Oh and then bring a big brain.
Bill

#101602 - 08/04/07 08:28 PM Re: Concept Kit [Re: billym]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: billym
I have begun "experimenting" with leaving a SAK Classic in my computer bag and so far......

last weekend i went to a lyle lovett concert - not your typical hell raisin' kind of concert.

when asked if i had a knife, without thinking i said yes and showed him my SAK classic.

had to "check it" and retrieve it after the show.

...am tempted to "forgot that i had it" next time.

#101615 - 08/04/07 10:43 PM Re: Concept Kit [Re: bsmith]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: bsmith

Originally Posted By: billym
I have begun "experimenting" with leaving a SAK Classic in my computer bag and so far......

last weekend i went to a lyle lovett concert - not your typical hell raisin' kind of concert.

when asked if i had a knife, without thinking i said yes and showed him my SAK classic.

had to "check it" and retrieve it after the show.

...am tempted to "forgot that i had it" next time.

Put the small knife in your wallet and say no next time...
I love Lyle! Robert Earl too!

#101617 - 08/04/07 10:59 PM Re: Concept Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Hiding things is suspicious, to an extent. But the point of hiding something is so that no-one finds it. If someone finds it, you didn't hide it very well.

Strapping a package to your chest and then going through airport security sounds criminally stupid or just criminal, but wearing a money belt while you travel sounds like a reasonable precaution against losing your wallet. Its all in how you look at it.

On the other hand, this kit isn't reserved especially for suit and tie occasions, how many people carry their EDC when they're swimming? You could wear a waterproofed version quite comfortably and discretely under your swimming trunks or perhaps even stitched to your swimming trunks. Or you could carry it while jogging where the light weight and low profile would keep it from interfering with your running. In reality its just another way to carry the ubiquitous Altoids tin kit.

#101630 - 08/05/07 12:19 AM Re: Concept Kit [Re: AROTC]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: AROTC
... how many people carry their EDC when they're swimming?

Most of us do not... of course that's because most of us like to be able to get back up to the surface of the water! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.