Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#101383 - 08/02/07 05:20 PM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
I can't stress enough - IMPACT TOOLS WON'T WORK ON FRONT AND REAR WINDOWS - and in some cars, they won't work on side windows. Follow the bubbles and try to open the door. You may need to wait for the water to rise before you can open the door. If you blow out a window while under waters, several tons of water are going to slam into you at once.
It's a low rate of survival situation, in all cases.

I forgot about that. My wife's car one of the selling points was safety grass in the side windows (as well as the front).
However I thought that back windows were not, both from having my own shot out with a pellet gun and that mythbusters episode where they tried to put pressure on the back window while shooting it with a pellet gun.
Even if you manage to survive the impact with the water but hitting at a low enough speed to not pop the air bags or bend the center of the car then you still have to be alert enough to either cut or unlatch the seatbelt, wait and unlock the doors then open them. A lot of room for error when stressed.

#101388 - 08/02/07 06:25 PM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I can't even find these things locally..any type of seat belt cutter. As cheap as some of them are, one would think Wally World or other would carry them.

#101390 - 08/02/07 06:45 PM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: Doug_Ritter]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
The Res-Q-Me is what I carry.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=66

With respect, I've been on several calls where the keys to a vehicle aren't in the ignition. It seems that if people are wanting to carry this sort of tool, it should be in a more secure location than the key chain. Alternatively, have a second tool in a separate location.

#101401 - 08/02/07 08:47 PM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: MartinFocazio]
coyote Offline
stranger

Loc: 100 yds from elkhorn creek
I recently bought a benchmade ERT 1. It has a seat belt cutter and a window punch and a light. Comes in a nice belt pouch, so used some para cord to tie it to the seat belt and anchor point in the floor. Seems to be well made and was 29.99 at the local gun shop.

#101412 - 08/02/07 10:51 PM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: Eugene]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
I can't stress enough - IMPACT TOOLS WON'T WORK ON FRONT AND REAR WINDOWS - and in some cars, they won't work on side windows.

Originally Posted By: Eugene
I forgot about that. My wife's car one of the selling points was safety grass in the side windows (as well as the front).

Note that AFAIK, "safety glass" is not a specific enough term. My understanding is that could mean either laminated glass (like the front), or tempered glass (the kind that breaks into lots of little pieces).

Laminated glass would be the one to ruin your day if submerged.

-john

Edited by JohnN (08/02/07 10:52 PM)

#101413 - 08/02/07 11:25 PM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: JohnN]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I did find a resqme at Brookstones locally. The website and packaging states it will break the side and back windows.

#101414 - 08/02/07 11:41 PM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: jshannon]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I think what Martinfocazio meant is that if the side windows used laminated glass, it wouldn't work. Most cars don't use laminated glass on the side windows, but must use it on the front window.

I think he is also suggesting that some cars may use laminated glass on the side windows and thus it wouldn't work in that case.

If indeed some cars use laminated glass on side windows, the product website would be wrong to make the statement without some sort of disclaimer.

Either way, it probably makes sense to determine what kind of glass in the side windows for your own vehicle.

-john

#101416 - 08/03/07 12:03 AM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I've got a Hinderer Rescue knife, and if it's not on my person, it's in my car, secured within arms reach to the inside of the storage bin between the driver and passenger seat.

#101420 - 08/03/07 02:36 AM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Re: laminated side windows

This is totally outside my experience...

Laminated glass is two sheets of tempered glass with a flexible sheet of plastic between them, right? So, if you were in a situation (not necessarily under water)where you needed to break your way out of it (side window) and had a spring-loaded punch, couldn't you break the glass, then kick it to beat it up more, and sort of force-fold it out of the way so you could get past it?

Sue

#101422 - 08/03/07 02:49 AM Re: Window Punch and Seatbelt cutter - revisited [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Generally, the laminated glass is only the windsheild and sometimes the rear window. The wide windows are just tempered glass- they'll go pretty easily with a good impact.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, dougwalkabout), 542 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
22 minutes 40 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.