The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#101078 - 07/29/07 02:01 PM Weekends...
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have noticed that on weekends the number of posts drops to just a fraction of what is posted during the normal work week. Does that mean that everyone is out playing Sat and Sun, or does it mean that most of you do your ETS stuff while at work? If that is the case, does your boss know about it, or do you have to play on the sly? And if that is the case, does it make you feel a little guilty, playing on company time, and on the company computer? What would happen if the boss caught you? I am really curious, where I worked there was very limited internet access for anyone, and you could not install ANYTHING on the company computers you had access to. Not sure what they are doing now, with wifi, personal computers, etc...

#101079 - 07/29/07 02:21 PM Re: Weekends... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I try to look at ETS every morning, but there is is a time difference between US and holland...

#101080 - 07/29/07 02:55 PM Re: Weekends... [Re: JIM]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I've noticed the same thing (slowdown on weekends), but to answer your question:

All my postings are done from home because, like in your old job, personal use of the computer is, for the most part, prohibited.

#101086 - 07/29/07 05:00 PM Re: Weekends... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hi OBG,

Nope, don't access personal sites from work, despite having extremely good internet access. My postings are normally evenings and/or weekends, unless I'm off work that weekday.

Despite infrequent postings, I sit and read the latest on ETS when I have a moment to myself.

Regards,
Comanche7

#101087 - 07/29/07 05:05 PM Weekends and at work [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
When at home, I try to check the ETS BB at least once a day, usually in the evenings.

When at work, I pass the watch, while on standby, by getting my laptop online (via air card), and looking at the ETS and other news sights.

I try not to post whatever idle thought crosses my mind but those subjects and ideas that I believe will be worth the time of those ETS members who read it. There are many postings that I will read but not comment on because of what has already been posted or because I think I would be wasting ETS space and member's time to read it. I try to keep my comments worthy or I don't post anything.

#101091 - 07/29/07 08:15 PM Re: Weekends... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Mostly (90%) connection to ETS Forum is from home.
Occasionnaly, it's from work : ie, when installing a system at night, or during week-end, it takes a looong time to initialise the disks and to install the OS... then, if an Internet connection is available, I come visit the forum.

#101096 - 07/29/07 11:26 PM Re: Weekends... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
I attempt to read the ETS forums daily, whether at home or work. Due to my schedule and position, I'm afforded unlimited internet access at work. Additionally, I pass along a lot of the information gleaned from this site to colleagues and local first responders. Lots of good information here. smile

#101097 - 07/29/07 11:36 PM Re: Weekends... [Re: frenchy]
gizmojumpjet Offline
Opposed to Bears

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
I don't post here very often but I do read this and many other forums from work all the time. My work has filters that block access to certain sites that they don't want people visiting, and I figure anything else is fair game as long as I get my work done.

I don't feel guilty about browsing the web from work because I'm very good at what I do, I get it done on time, and I don't let browsing the web interfere with it.

#101125 - 07/30/07 01:31 PM Re: Weekends... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
..... Sat and Sun, or does it mean that most of you do your ETS stuff while at work? If that is the case, does your boss know about it, or do you have to play on the sly?....

In my house, we all have our own laptops, including my 8 year old son. We have a wireless network and we're HEAVY internet users (We haven't have a television for close to 10 years, so we get all our entertainment through the computers), and as a result, we feel a need to SHUT THE DARN THINGS OFF on the weekends. We have a simple rule - Sundown Friday to Sundown Sunday, no computer screens EXCEPT for the "home base" system, which is a computer that serves as our stereo/DVD player/family calendar server/photo album viewer. But our personal computers generally stay OFF on the weekend.

At work, we're actively encouraged to "take a break" to use other sites, and even to take on small freelance "side jobs" now and then to keep our minds sharp and flexible. At this moment, I'm at the office, it's 9:24 AM, and I've been working since 6:50 AM, so it's a natural breakpoint.

I wrote an article on this subject a while ago, here it is:

http://19k.blogspot.com/2007/06/on-management.html

#101138 - 07/30/07 06:19 PM Re: Weekends... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
One of the very few advantages of being a small business owner is that I can take a few minutes every day to look at the forums that interest me. As far my employees are concerned, it's a small shop and we are more like family than anything else; as long as the work gets done and the system doesn't start getting nasty viruses and spyware, I don't monitor their internet usage.

Weekends are for outdoor stuff if at all possible. I check my email from home over the weekend - that's about it.

Frank2135

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (wileycoyote), 543 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.