Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10061 - 10/17/02 04:44 PM Wind & waterproof Lighters
Hutch66 Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Can anyone tell me of a good windproof/waterproof lighter? <br>I currently carry two disposable scripto ligters, one in my pocket, and another one sealed in a small ziplock-type bag. The one in my pocket has been ruined before, but never both. But since I a firm believer in Murphy, I'd like to go with something a little more sturdy. I've been looking at a couple different ones, but was just wondering if anyone has some suggestions. If I have to spend $40-$50 I will, but I'd rather not, so if someone can tell me of an inexpensive one I'd really appreciate it. <br><br>Thanks in advance.<br><br>Chris.

#10062 - 10/17/02 05:36 PM Re: Wind & waterproof Lighters
NAro Offline
Addict

IMHO don't spend $40-$50 on one. Buy a handfull of cheap disposables like Scripto or Cricket and stash them around. Waterproof them by putting them in baggies or something. Windproof them by getting well sheltered when you try to light your fire. <br><br>While in fact my old Zippo is still my prime outdoor and general camping lighter, I own (and am affiliated with a shop that sells and repairs lighters) many. From butane/flint, to butane/quartz ignition.... from $12 to $150.00. EVERY ONE will fail from time to time: fuel, ignition, lint, moisture, etc. My PSK has alternate fire starting options, and also a cheap cricket brand butane lighter. I must be afraid of being without a fire, because I probably have 3-4 disposable butane lighters stashed in my gear somewhere when I go out. <br><br>

#10063 - 10/17/02 07:46 PM Re: Wind & waterproof Lighters
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Yes I will second Naro on his opinion. I have a Windmill lighter that didn't perform that well in the water. Than amount of time it took to make it work again was another disapointment. Carry couple of lighters and a zippo, put some matches in your PSK. I mean it's kewl to have this nice cutting jet flame but it's not worth all this cash. I wish I was smarter when I was getting it.<br><br>Matt

#10064 - 10/17/02 09:30 PM Re: Wind & waterproof Lighters
Anonymous
Unregistered

sportsmansguide.com has the double torch for around 20.00 and another style for around 15.00

#10065 - 10/18/02 12:21 AM Re: Wind & waterproof Lighters
Anonymous
Unregistered

i concur with nero & polak. i carry the zippo and several disposable bics when i have the room. i have a four finger firestarter immitation in my psk that i made from a bic lighter. i also carry the flint and magnesium when i can.

#10066 - 10/18/02 12:49 AM Re: Wind & waterproof Lighters
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
I'm not going to pretend this is a professional opinion, but I did take a course on (believe it or not) Software Reliability last year. <br><br>Basically, there are two ways in which software (or anything else) can be made more reliable - quality, or redundancy. <br><br>Quality means, basically, making something to Mil Specs, or higher. The disadvantage to relying on this is that even the most expensive, well-engineered lighter can be lost.<br><br>Redundancy means having more than one. The disadvantage is that, if they're all designed the same, they can all fail at the same time. E.g. I found out last winter that my Coleman camp stove will not light at temperatures of -30. Having a second, identical stove would have been of no use. (It's important to read the fine print on your survival gear :-) Fortunately, my "backup" was a heated lodge with a wood stove. :-)<br><br>One technique used in Software Reliability is to have the same program written from scratch, to the same specs, by two or more completely different teams of programmers; this greatly reduces the risk that a single error condition will cause all the programs to fail. The point is, redundancy alone is not enough - you need diversity as well. I would carry a number of different tools - a couple of disposable lighters, securely bagged in plastic; maybe a mini-Butane cutting torch (can be used to make repairs); a couple of flints crazy-glued to the outside of my PSK; a Fresnel magnifier in my wallet. Maybe a Fire Piston, or a hunk of steel wool and a flashlight; some magnesium shavings wrapped in tinfoil and taped inside my SAS Gem Survival manual. <br><br>(A co-worker of mine, who is a professional in the area of Human Factors, lent me a book called "Set Phasers on Stun", by Steven Carey. It's a series of case studies of things that went wrong - usually with tragic consequences - due to some small, seemingly insignificant design flaw. While it doesn't deal with Survival in the way we tend to think about it, it is a well-written and interesting book, and a sobering reminder of how important it is to pay attention to the little things. ISBN: 0963617885 for anyone who's interested.<br><br>

#10067 - 10/18/02 03:23 AM Re: Wind & waterproof Lighters
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
>>Basically, there are two ways in which software (or anything else) can be made more reliable - quality, or redundancy.<<<br><br>Right - parallel redundancy increases reliability. Your example of diverse fire starting means is that sort of thing. Reliability theory at its root is pretty common sense (and calculating the specifics is not all that onerous, either).<br><br>But your stove failure intrigues me. I've used a few different white gas appliances at colder temps than that, including three different Colemans (two burner green box, old style "Sportster" on a lantern body, and original Peak 1 - plus Svea 123 and MSR XGK). Fuel makes a difference, or at least it did those years for me. I used Blazo (Chevron brand, IIRC), and it was probably refined locally (Alaska or possibly Canada). In cold temps, I found Coleman fuel to be "lazy" at igniting and Blazo to be "vigorous" - too much so in hot temps (summertime) actually - at least for my comfort level.<br><br>As for the stoves - In extreme cold the Svea had to be pump primed and babied - NO wind or it would slowly fade, and always insulated from the ground. The rest worked fine. The two burner could be a beast to get buring clean - I found that some careful pre-heating of the generator helped - but once it was going, it was fine (and a new generator sometimes works a miracle). The rest of the stoves were fine - preheating was/is part of the ritual for me with those stoves most of the time unless it's warm out.<br><br>The coldest I am absolutely certain that I have used Coleman fuel in a two burner green box is -25 F. It worked fine; fuel was fresh and the stove was nearly new, FWIW.<br><br>So... maybe it was your fuel and/or an old generator? Fresh Blazo is the best I've used in extreme temps. It was available in either 5 gallon cans or 55 gallon drums and I suppose it still is. Might be worth scrounging some up and trying it out this winter.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Tom

#10068 - 10/18/02 03:28 AM Re: Wind & waterproof Lighters
Trusbx Offline
addict

Loc: Ed's Country
There are quite a few from the windmill / windmill delta / brunton helios / Storm lighter.<br>I didn't fork out the cash for the windmill but bought a Storm lighter instead. - it certainly is windproof, but it ain't waterproof - even with the o-ring. From the posts about the windmill, neither is the windmill. I don't know about the delta or the brunton helios monster, but you could get an inexpensive storm lighter (windproof definitely) but don't count on it being waterproof.<br>You would want to keep other waterproof fire starting options from ziplocked household matches and bic lighters to the flints to the sparklight. Carry many, many options....<br><br>

#10069 - 10/18/02 03:29 AM Re: Wind & waterproof Lighters
Anonymous
Unregistered

Man, let me put it to you this way...I was asking the exact same question a year ago, and I settled on a $50 Windmill Delta Lighter. I bought the hype that it was "waterproof, shockproof, windproof, etc." It did get submerged for about 10 minutes while I was swimming, and to be honest, it worked fine afterwards.<br><br>However, I also had an 89 cent Bic lighter in my pocket. And while they dont claim their lighters are "waterproof," it also worked fine afterwards. And, with a little drying out period, it will most likely work everytime it is submerged. Get yourself a couple of the Bics next time your at the gas station. <br><br>If you'd like to test the Bic yourself, try "accidentally" leaving it in a pocket when you wash your jeans. This has happened to me numerous times, and they always come back to life after a couple of minutes.<br><br>I agree with NAro and Polak, save your cash.<br><br>John McIntire

#10070 - 10/18/02 05:15 AM Re: Wind & waterproof Lighters
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think we all desire the one lighter that will be the the ultimate 'everything-proof' unit but as mentioned in this forum, it will probably get lost at some stage so we will always need some backup. I think it is fair to say that one lighter won't be the answer so then my advice is to get one that you like. By this I mean pick a lighter that does what you want most of the time and have matches or flint/striker on standby<br><br>I carry a Prince Pocket Torch providing the mega hot flame. They don't work very well in extremes but having a flame that will burn practically anything is awesome. I love they way the burn upside down. Great for lighting tea candles, hex tablets and starting fires very quickly, as often you don't need to prepare as much in the way of tinder/kindling. Throw some sticks together and unlleash its 1300 degree flame....argh argh ...argh<br><br>Now that I have an awesome lighter that will burn in most conditions, having something that will make a fire when it all turns to custard. I just made myself a backup firelighter system using an old mini-maglight.<br><br>I removed as much as I could from the insides of the maglight to be effectivly left with a waterproof tube. I bought a basic flint striker and with some ingenuity attached it to the end cap. The end cap screws back in to the maglight body remaining hidden. I then shortend the flint (that was fun with a hacksaw :-)) so that there was enough room left in the maglight tube so that I could store one peice of quaility tinder. (It remains waterproof and still looks like a mini-mag)<br><br>This means that whenever I go out I have a great lighter that will burn most things but if a real emergeny occured, I have a quaility flint for starting fires and one peice of tinder for getting me started.<br><br>Heres something to ponder....have you noticed that wind generally makes natural fires work better and makes articial fires work worse....mmm<br><br><br><br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 620 Guests and 153 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.