Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100488 - 07/23/07 02:51 AM How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawater?
digimark Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chesapeake Beach, MD
I've been wearing my Leatherman multitool on my hip since I discovered this website. Today, I was with my family while we were boating on the Chesapeake Bay with family friends (their boat), and while I didn't have to jump in to rescue my swimming kids, it occurred to me that if I did, my Leatherman in its nylon sheath would be dunked in saltwater.

If this or something similar should happen, what is the recommended procedure to clean-up the tool and return it to hip-service? I mean, I'd imagine to run it under clean water, dry and then oil it in some way. Thanks. -Gary

Edited by digimark (07/23/07 02:52 AM)

#100489 - 07/23/07 03:21 AM Re: How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawater? [Re: digimark]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
You got it exactly right. Wash it off good in warm clean water (a little soap helps too), dry it thoroughly, oil the pivots directly and wipe everything else down with a little oil on a cloth (or Tuf-Cloth if you can find it).

I've been doing that for years and never had any problems with rust.

#100491 - 07/23/07 03:38 AM Re: How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawater? [Re: Paul810]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
After the washing, a good blowing of high pressure air, from either an air compressor or the canned air some use to clean their computer keyboard, etc, will get the water out of those little nooks and crannies. After oiling another hit of air will spread the oil into those same nooks...

#100497 - 07/23/07 05:27 AM Re: How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawat [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Use the regular dish washing soap, not the one for hands (it might leave a residue). I'd wash it in clean benzine (Homedepot, Ace...) instead to remove the old oil too which could trap water, salt, perhaps sand. But that's not really so crucial.
Hair drier works good for drying too (just watch plastic inserts, if any, for melting). Oil it immediately while not completely cooled down. Make sure to dry out your nylon sheath too.

#100514 - 07/23/07 01:28 PM Re: How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawat [Re: Alex]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
While the knife is dunked in warm water make sure to open & close the tools and blades to help dissolve salts in the nooks & crannies.

Just a personal bias on my part -- I hate using WD40 on knives. This is mostly because of the smell. My recommendation is to use a simple high-grade oil like 3-in-1 or similar. Of course you can also use the higher end stuff like Militec. Work it into the joints by opening & closing the tools and blades.

Don't forget while rinsing & oiling to get the joint on the scissors and - if you've got the newer model - remove the screwdriver bits from the holders.

You should be good to go.

Yeah, don't forget to rinse off the sheath real good too. Like Alex said, dry it before stowing the knife away.

Ken

#100516 - 07/23/07 03:08 PM Re: How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawater? [Re: digimark]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Most Leatherman are 440 Stainless, though not as corrosion resistant as 300 or 330 stainless, it is better then a carbon steal or some other low chromium alloys. I would say just a rise in water and then try with a cloth would do sufficent. When I dove in Okinawa I would just rinse my equipment, incluiding a 440 stainless dive knife. So I would say nothing more invasive then just a rinse in fresh water. A shot of WD-40 never hurts either.
cheers

#100519 - 07/23/07 03:33 PM Re: How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawater? [Re: atoz]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Actually a shot of WD-40 can hurt if its not replaced by something else. Remember WD 40 is a water displacer not an oil. I didn't realize this years ago and would spray my pocket knife with wd 40 and it would get all sticky and collect dirt and did more harm than good. I proper oil is what you want to use.

#100523 - 07/23/07 03:55 PM Re: How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawater? [Re: Eugene]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Yeah, I know WD40 is supposed to be good for displacing the water ... but oh that smell. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does.

If it were winter I'd suggest putting the knife over a forced-hot air vent for a day or two to warm it up and drive off the water. If I was sure the knife didn't have plastic washers or other parts I'd recommend putting it in an oven on the lowest heat setting for an hour or so.

Ken

#100531 - 07/23/07 04:55 PM Re: How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawater? [Re: Eugene]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Okay, thanks for the correction. I guess any light wt machine oil would be more correct. I know I got some what I thought was corrosion on the teeth of pliers on my Leatherman Wave as shot of WD-40 and wipe off with a cloth did the trick, while a whip of a cloth without the WD-40 did nada.
cheers

#100541 - 07/23/07 06:15 PM Re: How to clean a mulitool after a dunk in seawater?
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: digimark
Okay, thanks for the correction. I guess any light wt machine oil would be more correct. I know I got some what I thought was corrosion on the teeth of pliers on my Leatherman Wave as shot of WD-40 and wipe off with a cloth did the trick, while a whip of a cloth without the WD-40 did nada.
cheers

yes, it does make a good cleaner, it will thin out whatever grease/dirt/crap is on it and then let you wipe it off. Works good for cleaning years of engine grease off the bolt for whatever part you want to remove. Its just that its not a long term lubricant, if you use it to clean then you want to wipe it off and replace it with a lubricant. I prefer something more like the spray lithium grease where it will be a lottle bit water resistant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.