Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#100539 - 07/23/07 06:08 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: ironraven]
Reddave Offline
Journeyman

sorry, it helps to be a bit more specific to let you guys/girls help me more.
Going to be be doing non destructive testing using ultrasonic/magnetic and dye penetrant methods. Would like to think its fab yard/ workshop, but probably on refinery or line work doing thickness checking or weld examination. Most jobs here (UK) are about 3 hrs max but last week I've tested welds in a storage tank and will finish it tomorrow. BIG tank new floor.
So hoping employer provides suitable PPE but want additional underclothing so bits dont fall off or so cold I cant use 'em.
THEN theres the apres work clothing. Go Grizzly adams or something that looks reasonably normal (depending what the local populace calls normal). Not sure so advice appreciated.

Work period either 10 or 11 and half shifts. Not going on vacation so want to make plenty mullah. By the way whats the tax situation both on pay and local taxes please? Just as a guideline to UK standards??

Edited by Reddave (07/23/07 06:11 PM)
Edit Reason: additional info

#100567 - 07/23/07 10:04 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Reddave]
JohnnyUpton Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
I’d read the contract through a couple of times just to be sure what the contract requires you to provide Vs your employer (If its not written in the contract its not being provided). Nomex jumpsuits (if required) aren’t cheap.

I’d also recommend a good hard hat liner, watch cap and or ski mask.

If you’re going to be an NDE tech, the one saving grace when it gets cold will be the welds needing to be preheated and if there’s a fab yard, many/most of the piping welds will be done in shelters.

If you’re going in and out of the offices a lot, I’d highly recommend the Carhartt Bibs and Jacket. The quickest way to get cold is to start sweating.

#100876 - 07/26/07 07:32 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Reddave]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
I spent ten years in Calgary, and just recently moved back to Ottawa. My brother currently lives in Fort McMurray. Huge difference in climate.

My guess is you're going to be working in Fort Mac. If so, you can expect temperatures of -30 or -35 on a regular basis in the winter, occasionally -40, but it can be quite warm in the summer. (They are currently undergoing a heat wave, with temperature of +30C expected for the weekend.)

My brother used to live in places like Slave Lake and Peace River. I visited them once in Peace River when the daytime high was -35; you could actually feel the resistance when you opened the car door. Apparently, it was not uncommon for residents to leave their cars running in the parking lot all day while at work because if you shut them off, there was no way to restart them (short of towing the car into a heated garage and letting it thaw out).

Block heaters for cars are virtually standard issue on any cars sold in that part of Canada; make sure you plug them in overnight during the winter to keep the engine warm. A new car will start okay even in temperatures of -30, but not using the block heater will significantly shorten the life of the engine.

Don't be misled by any stories of "it's a dry cold, you won't feel it". It doesn't get bone-chilling cold as a maritimer would feel it, but trust me - you will know it's cold.

The first time my brother (brought up in Nova Scotia, where it's a "damp cold") experienced a really cold day in Peace River, it was a real eye-opener for him. He ran out in his shirt sleeves to start the car, so it would be warmed up by the time he finished his breakfast. By the time he got to the car in the driveway, his fingers were so numb he couldn't unlock the car door. By the time he ran back to the house, his hands were so cold he couldn't turn the door handle; he just kicked the door until my sister-in-law came running and let him back in. Never made that mistake again.

The upside to the "dry cold" is that it doesn't seem to penetrate the houses - once you're inside a warm house, it's quite comfortable - as opposed to some places where, no matter what the thermostat says, it just feels cold to the bone because it's so damp.

Fort MacMurray, where the oil sands are, is about the same latitude as Peace River and Slave Lake, so probably gets about as cold in the winter.

Having said that, your main difficulty is likely to be finding a place to stay - the housing crunch there is unbelievable. When my brother first moved there, he spent the first six months renting a 3-bedroom trailer - with his wife and four children.

Also, because the cost of living is so expensive, people can't really afford to work in the service industry (waitresses, cashiers, etc.) unless they have a family member working in the oil fields. This means that the level of service in a lot of places isn't what you might have come to expect. (The typical job interview goes something like this - "Can you start tomorrow?")

The prices in clothing stores, from what I could remember, weren't outrageous. (Edmonton was about a five hour drive, so if the prices got out of hand, people would simply schedule a shopping trip down south.) but the "Work Warehouse" type stores didn't sell the same designer clothing that they do down south - the stuff they sold was for the people working out in the oilfields, so it had to be functional.

For going out after work - in town, wear regular clothes, with a good parka and a tuque or watch cap; perhaps with mittens, heavy wool socks and boots if you expect to walk more than a block or two outside.

Of course, if you're talking about Inuvik or Tuktoyaktuk, that's a whole different story again. :-O

#101811 - 08/06/07 08:18 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: aardwolfe]
Reddave Offline
Journeyman

Absolutely stunned. MAny years ago I worked near medicine hat, also stayed in calgary (lovely place and want to go back there again) and edmonton. Weather was cold compared to UK but enjoyable. I would never have believed the temp. range that you are telling me, at that time. So, in a nutshell and correct me if I am wrong, I need to ask for higher accomodation allowance/ get them to find and pay for it? , take a few pairs of merino underwear, confirm cold weather gear provided, and if the cost of living is so high I best ask for wage rise. How much does beer cost over there compared to UK and/ or edmonton please?
But seriously, thanks for the information, a real eye opener!!!

#101818 - 08/06/07 11:34 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Reddave]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
I would ask for cold weather gear to be provided, in that they will pay for it. It's been my experience, though I certainly can't speak for any majority of Canadian companies, that any special clothing etc. you need *for the job* is provided or paid for. Definitely make sure of this. It's not like it would be a huge cost, but might as well get what you can, it's not at all an unreasonable request IMO in Canadian terms.

One of the best things about Alberta is beer is cheaper there than anywhere else in Canada. It may be priced more where you are up north, but still, it won't be too bad. As an example, my regular brews are Heineken and Becks in 500ml. They were under $1.50 each last time I was out that way, sometimes on sale for $1. So let's say ~50-60p for that type of imported. British beer tends to cost more, way too many types for me to guess what you drink...

If you've seen Calgary, you've seen the best part of civilised Alberta IMO. I'm from Edmonton BTW...it's got its aspects, but Calgary is nicer.

#101902 - 08/07/07 07:21 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: cfraser]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hey, Reddave, welcome to the (black) gold rush.

I live in the Edmonton area, and do a little training/documentation work for the oilpatch.

Usually, your employer will provide specialty safety equipment (such as breathing apparatus), but appropriate clothing is usually your responsibility. Depends on your contract, of course.

I strongly recommend you buy your work clothing locally. There are specific requirements for working on these sites, and EU standards might not be considered equivalent. You shouldn't have a problem finding gear -- lots of safety supply stores around here supply the oilpatch. Not cheap, but good quality gear.

You can't usually wear synthetics on the job unless they're specially treated to be flame retardant. This rule applies from the skin out. If you have merino woolies, tops and bottoms, bring them along.

Ditto what aardwolfe said about accommodation in Fort McMurray. Strongly suggest you have a place to stay before you come up. Lots of guys stay in camp (company trailer "hotels" beside the site) and then fly back to Edmonton/Calgary/B.C. when they're done their two week shift.

The farther north you go in Alberta, the fewer breaks you get from Arctic high pressure systems (that's the cold, cold air, often slides across from Siberia). You should have some time to acclimatize; winter doesn't really start until November, and the worst of the cold is after Christmas. You'll get a cold snap or two beforehand (usually) to get a taste of it.

It's not hard to operate down to, say, -20 C. Below that, it's a bit of a nuisance, and everything takes longer. But if there's a job to do, you just bundle up, fashion be damned, and go.

Getting by in the cold is 50% dressing for the conditions, and 50% acclimatizing and attitude. I go through this every year; the human body (and mind) gets the knack of it after a while.

Lots of guys put disposable handwarmers in their boots, mitts, against their kidneys (parkas have pouches for this), and against their electronics (radios, gas detectors) during cold spells. Helpful especially if you're not moving around much.

As to beer: no problem. Lots of good microbrews available, and international varieties too. (You won't be stuck with Coors Lite, though you can get it if you want.)

As to Calgary: I've seen it, close up. I have family down there. A traffic jam with a nice view of the mountains. Hm.

Good luck!

#102121 - 08/09/07 04:20 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: dougwalkabout]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

I'm wondering how that weather fares in the central to northern parts of British Columbia during the height of winter. I've been told that it never gets quite as cold in BC in comparison to the other Canadian provinces.

LW.

#102122 - 08/09/07 04:31 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: Blast]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Blast

On other note, old field hands up there reccomended I stay away from cheap plasticy materials as when it gets really, really cold these materials turn brittle and break. They prefer leather, ventile or other stuff like that. Expensive, but worth it.
-Blast

I have an outer shell that's made of polypropylene material which is said to be good for keeping the water out, and yet it allows the perspiration to escape. It can be layered underneath with synthetic fleece or wool to help prevent the loss of body heat.

I'd like to know what you think of polypropylene and fleece as opposed to wool.

LW.

#102198 - 08/09/07 11:46 PM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Right. Southern (and to a degree, central) B.C. is much, much milder than the Canadian prairies. Warm enough for grapes, cherries, apples ... major orchard and wine country. People often retire to Victoria (on Vancouver Island) when they get tired of fighting the cold Prairie winters.

In the northern parts of B.C., I don't know. That's boreal forest country, and I suspect it's similar to southern Yukon (say Whitehorse), which is about the same temperature-wise as Edmonton up to Christmas, perhaps, and then ... wow ... the bottom drops out of the thermometer. Seems like the moderating influence of the Pacific air masses, systems out of the Gulf of Alaska, give way to those collossal high pressure systems from the high arctic.

(Fine folks in Yukon, though; I want to go back there. Always up for another pint or two at The Pit in Dawson City. My uncle runs a trapline up thereabouts; could be an educational winter.)

#102203 - 08/10/07 12:02 AM Re: Help in preparing for canada?? [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

BigCityHillbilly wrote:
"I'd like to know what you think of polypropylene and fleece as opposed to wool."

I live in polypro and fleece all winter. It works. I wear wool too, but usually with a polypro layer underneath, which is more comfortable, easier to wash, and hangs-to-dry. Synthetics manage moisture much better than woolies, and that's the key to staying warm.

But industrial oilfield sites are another matter entirely. Polypro and fleece are effectively banned -- unless they are factory-treated with an approved flame-retardant substance. This is done for good reason: synthetics, in a fire, turn into a super-hot goo that bonds permanently with human skin, and create the most horrific injuries you can imagine. Wool and cotton, on the other hand, provide a degree of protection.

If you were choosing clothing to protect you during the crash of an airliner, you would surely not wear synthetics. Oilfield workers face similar hazards.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 542 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.