Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100298 - 07/20/07 02:35 PM Well, they are trying...
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My county will be running a bioterrorism/infectious disease outbreak training excersize later this month:

Dear Montgomery County Partner:

Greetings from the UTMB Montgomery County Health Department! We would like to invite you to partner with in serving our community by promoting public health emergency preparedness.

The UTMB Montgomery County Health Department and Conroe Independent School District will host a Bioterrorism Exercise on Tuesday, July 31 at The Woodlands 9th Grade Campus, 10010 Branch Crossing Drive. The drill will last from 10:00 a.m. to Noon, and will simulate the process of distributing antibiotics to Public Health Volunteers, who will later distribute antibiotics to members of the public.

Exercise participants will act as “Volunteers” and report to the site to collect mock medication for themselves and family members, to register, and to receive badges and job assignments. Our pre-trained workers will dispense the medication as quickly and efficiently as possible, simulating the response time that would be required in an actual event.

Participating in the exercise provides great benefits to you, to us and to our community. You will get a first-hand look at how your Health Department plans to serve you during a bioterrorism attack or infectious disease outbreak. We will be able to test our county’s public health preparedness and response plans and increase their relevance. The result will be a community better educated and more prepared to respond to attacks or diseases that threaten our wellbeing.

The success of the exercise is dependent upon the number of people who participate. The more people that come on July 31, the better equipped we’ll be to respond to a real life emergency. Please invite friends, neighbors and co-workers to take part. A few minutes of your time will make a big difference in our ability to plan for and respond to public health emergencies in our communities.

Thanks so much for your time and for all that you are doing for Montgomery County.

It should be interesting.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#100303 - 07/20/07 03:11 PM Re: Well, they are trying... [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Having done a few things along those lines, let me be the first to prepare you; it might work great, might be a disaster, and for sure will have some parts that will crack you up. Take your sense of humor along, and a lot of patience...

#100325 - 07/20/07 06:26 PM Re: Well, they are trying... [Re: Blast]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I always thought this would be a good way for terrorists to initiate a second attack, by distributing contaminated/laced medicine/food/water through a volunteer network. Even if the secondary attack were small, it would be significant enough to create a level of suspicion of all dispensed products.

For example, if a terrorist(s) had poisoned a small number of cases of donated bottled water during Katrina, using a few different brands of water and donating them at different locations, there would have been additional (beyond the effects of the hurricane itself) widespread panic. Once some of the donated bottled water was found to be contaminated, then all of the donated water would have become suspect.

Just look at the post 9/11 anthrax attacks and the effect on the Postal System and Emergency Services. I can’t tell you how many additional HazMat calls for suspicious packages were dispatched in the weeks following the attacks.

While this may turn out to be the only way to distribute (though a secondary volunteer force) necessary medications/food/water during a bio-terrorist or other type of attack, we could end up with additional problems, if there is not some method to ensure the safety of the product.

Pete

#100327 - 07/20/07 06:53 PM Re: Well, they are trying... [Re: paramedicpete]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

My thinking was if they really wanted to test this plan they need some armed aggressors attacking the aid station demanding the medicine... shocked I'm not sure they are set up for that sort of event even though it strikes me as quite likely.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#100330 - 07/20/07 07:16 PM Re: Well, they are trying... [Re: paramedicpete]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I always thought this would be a good way for terrorists to initiate a second attack, by distributing contaminated/laced medicine/food/water through a volunteer network."

Do you think terrorists are likely to be that subtle?

It seems to me that people of the terrorist mentality are more fond of explosives and guns. You may be right, but nothing I've heard about terrorists has indicated that they even think of operating in low-key mode.

Speaking of the pseudo-anthrax incidents after 9-11, I always thought of them as instigated by good old American citizens who thought it would be a good joke. Were any of those people found? And if there were, did any serve jail sentences to readjust their sense of humor?

Sue

#100334 - 07/20/07 07:37 PM Re: Well, they are trying... [Re: NightHiker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Nighthiker,

Thank's for the link, it looks interesting. I read through Module 3 and all it covers is dangers due to the incident, not dangers due to angry people/attackers.

Is the basic assumption in these drills that everyone will move through the line quietly and do as they are told? Seems a bit optimistic to me, though hopefully I'm wrong.

-Blast

#100341 - 07/20/07 08:42 PM Re: Well, they are trying... [Re: Susan]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland

Quote:
Do you think terrorists are likely to be that subtle?

It seems to me that people of the terrorist mentality are more fond of explosives and guns. You may be right, but nothing I've heard about terrorists has indicated that they even think of operating in low-key mode.

I was not necessarily referring (though not excluding them) to an international terrorist, but as with the anthrax attacks, possibly a domestic terrorist.

Quote:
Speaking of the pseudo-anthrax incidents after 9-11, I always thought of them as instigated by good old American citizens who thought it would be a good joke.

I too, suspect this was a domestic case of terrorism. However, it was not a joke, more likely an attempt by some (sick/deranged) individual to illustrate the vulnerability of America in dealing with a bio-terrorist attack. Very possibly, an individual who had been decrying our lack of preparation and wanted to drive the point home.

Quote:
Were any of those people found? And if there were, did any serve jail sentences to readjust their sense of humor?

No one has ever been formally charged for these attacks.

Pete

#100369 - 07/21/07 02:37 AM Re: Well, they are trying... [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Terrorists adapt. Subtle can be a lot more effective then flamboyant, and they can feed off each other. It also isn't new.

Car bomb goes off or a fire starts. 20, 30 minutes later, there is a second device that catches the responders. Really sneaky buggers would put out a couple of decoys to further delay any second line of responders. (Been done, many times.)

Shelters are public knowledge. Toss a couple of unguided rockets into a town, everyone takes shelter. The truck that has been turned into a two ton claymore is parked outside the largest shelter, and goes off by remote two or three minutes after the all clear sounds.

Have a few guys shoot at on side of a perimeter. While everyone is looking, you send a sapper or snatch team in on one of the other sides, or you've already put infiltrators in, who execute the real mission. (Been done, many times. Like at the original Jericho.)

Subtle could be done. And enough people are on edge enough that it could do more damage than the initial flashy attack.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100370 - 07/21/07 02:41 AM Re: Well, they are trying... [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It should be good for a lark, at least.

And we might be happily surprised.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#100379 - 07/21/07 07:43 AM Re: Well, they are trying... [Re: Blast]
CentralOklahoma Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Interesting additional information.

This is a simular exercise that was ran here in Norman Oklahoma about six or seven months ago. Our city is the 3rd largest in the state with a population of about 120,000, not including the students that come and go at the University of Oklahoma.

They held the exercise at the county fairgrounds, which is less than 1/4 to 1/2 of a mile from the Norman Regional Hospital.

I figured that I would check it out (get a free flu shot) by getting there about 30 minutes early. When I arrived, I observed a backlog of approximately 200 vehicles that had created a roadblock at both of the entrances. This extra traffic was causing problems for everyone else trying to get to work. (8:30 AM)

I kept on driving in order to avoid getting stuck in the logjam as I had my children with me. I was thankfull to get home thinking "Man what if that had been real and not just a flu shot exercise"....

This reminded me of something I already knew.

YOU CAN NOT DEPEND ON ANY ASSISTANCE FROM ANY GOVERMENT ENTITY.

Attempting to do so may very well cost you everything. Your life and those of your family.

I can imagine the insanity IF that had been a situation where they were giving vaccines for a bio warfare, bird flu, or smallpox. There would be many, many dead. All fighting over the small amount of assistance available.

It is the very best to network with friends and family, and prepare now for what might be coming in the near or distant future.

DO NOT GO TO AID AREAS. DO NOT GIVE UP CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE, AND THE LIVES OF YOUR CHILDREN TO THE CROWD MENTALLITY.

Just my thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.