The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242840 - 03/09/12 11:30 PM Help my with our Family BOB
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Please help me reorganize our family BOB!

FAMILY BOB
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/IMG_20120309_164614.jpg
*We are a family of 3 where this BOB is concerned (Two adults and one 8 year old)
*There's way too much for one person to carry so we have a second pack so we can divvy up the gear.
*Our 8 year old has his own BOB, with a change of clothes for himself.
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=241098&page=1
*This one's intended for about 3 days
*DH and I both EDC a Leatherman WAVE, Maglite solitare and cel phone
*This kit lives in my Jeep, along with 2 thermarests, a lg cold weather sleeping bag, wool blanket and my EDC daypack, (I owe Frisket a show and tell on that) which has things like cel phone chargers, more OTC meds, more tools, etc... and together they'll make up my GHB if need be (not carrying everything, of course!)

EQUIPMENT
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/IMG_20120309_155819.jpg
-FAK (includes OTC meds)
-Sharps (CRKT folder, Buck fixed blade, sierra saw, mini sharpener)
-Shelter (tube tent, thermal sportsman blanket with paracord tie-outs, AMK bivvy, 1p Heatsheet, 2p Heetsheat, 550, bungee cords, bank line)
-Fire (ferro rod, bic, strike anywhere matches, PJ cotton balls, quick tinder packs, tea light)
-Light ( 2 X LED headlights, 2 X mini mags, extra batteries, chem lights)
-radio (with extra batteries)
-compass
-local maps (in H2O proof case with compass and radio)
-sunglasses
-eye glass case with repair kit inside
-cooking (esbit stove, hobo stove and a can of sterno, tea lights, mini bic and mini ferro rod inside cook pot with lid)
-TP and wipes
-feminine hygiene stuff
-pocket sized PSK (based on AMK Ritter PSK)

EDIT: Added a hygiene kit (toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, deodorant, soap, sock) and removed svensaw

FOOD *packed
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/IMG_20120309_155728.jpg
-Breakfasts (oatmeal, granola, dried fruit, jam)
-Lunches (soup, rice) *Mountain House meals and foil pouch single serving meat the way soon!
-Dinners (MRE mains, Lipton rice, Lipton spaghetti)
-Snacks (Cliff bars, jerky, sesame honey bars, chocolate, licorish, trail mix, fruit snacks)
-Drinks (instant coffee, instant lattes, hot choc, tea, Koolaid)
-Drinking Water (Kleen Kanteen in sierra cup, military canteen in canteen cup, H2O purification tabs)
-Utensils (sporks, spoon, son's take-apart knife/spoon/fork SAK knock-off)

FOOD *unpacked
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/IMG_20120309_155301.jpg

CLOTHES
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/IMG_20120309_154158.jpg
*1 change for 1 adult
*innerwear and outerwear could be broken up to provide clothing for 2 adults but I need to add a scond pair of boxer briefs
*Our son has his own BOB with a change of clothes
-2 X wool socks
-1 X underwear
-1 X LS shirt
-1 X fleece pants
-1 X wool jacket
-1 X rain pants
-1 X rain jacket
-1 X vinyl poncho
-1 X Thinsulate hat
-1 X pair wool gloves
-1 X baseball bat
-1 X polar buff
-1 X fleece naek gator

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#242843 - 03/09/12 11:50 PM Re: Help my with our Family BOB [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I would Either Ditch the tube tent and add tarps or keep it and add tarps. They are more Useful and durable and a 6x8 weights nothing really and can be found for 3-5$.

The hobo tool spork and spoon I would ditch and add Lexan ones. I personally thing hobo tools are unhealthy as they have many places for particles to hide. I personally ditched metal to reduce scratching on my cookware.

When you divvy up gear make sure you both have essentials accordingly. You dont wanna split up on purpose or for unforeseen reasons and end up both not having certain items.

Your sauce packets should be put into something crush proof.

Personally I do not see a reason to have two saws in the pack. I would put the larger sierra saw in the car instead and keep the folder.

Cant really think of anything else right now.

#242846 - 03/10/12 12:24 AM Re: Help my with our Family BOB [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Frisket.

Yeah, I think we might ditch the tube tent. It could make a nice tarp though. DS has a second thermal sportsman blanket in his kit, as well as a second AMK bivvy. We've been practicing building shelters with them and he'[s getting pretty good at it. I'm probably going to get a GI Poncho instead of the tube tent. Having a mostly enclosed shelter, whether a tent or made from tarps or branches, is crucial for the eight year old's piece of mind. Things that go bump in the night aren't so scarey when he's got "walls" around him.

Ya know, I thought we had titanium sporksin our BOB but apparently they've mrigrated. The hunt is on!

Good call on the saws. I thought about switching one out for an axe, but it seems like overkill for a kit designed for a few days to a week. Good call to just ditch one!

Ditto the advice on the sauce packs. For somereason it made me think of hygiene. I should throw in some deodarant and toothpaste, and maybe a shamwow thingy.

We're on the same page when it comes to staying together. We're not intending to but would be sure to cover the essentials in both packs just in case.

Thanks for the always valuable feedback!

Edited by bacpacjac (03/10/12 01:53 AM)

#242850 - 03/10/12 12:38 AM Re: Help my with our Family BOB [Re: bacpacjac]
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
Most, if not all, meals should be edibile without cooking. You may not have the time or the fuel to stop and cook a meal. Unless you use a liquid or cartridge fuelled stove, smoke can give you away if you're hunkered down some where.

Be sure to include water, both in the BoB's and the vehicle.

(I could mention weapons, but that's a whole 'nother topic.)

#242851 - 03/10/12 12:53 AM Re: Help my with our Family BOB [Re: Woodsloafer]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Woodsloafer.

I'm always torn when it comes to meals. We do have a Peak 1 Micro Stove and fuel, but it adds bulk and weight that seems like overkill in a short-term pack. We're blesed with an abundance of firewood around here though, and the esbit stove seems like a nice middle ground. We are working on a DIY alcohol stove though. wink

Ready to eat means heavy in most cases but dehydrated stuff uses water and fuel. We've got lots of water, and means to procure it, between the BOB, our daypacks and the Jeep preps. Water is heavy if we have to hoof it but we're blessed with lots of lakes, rivers and streams in these parts. I may throw in a few more MRE mains, and I'm probably going to switch out the Lipton stuff for a few Mountain house meals, as they need a little less water.

Edit: I have requested that my in-laws bring us home some of those foil pack Spam Singles, chicken and salmon when they come back from the States next month. I've got a couple pack of tuna that I can throw in in the meanwhile. Canned meats are popular trail food with us but they're too heavy.

Thanks for not going to weapons. As you can see by the armed vs unarmed man vs bears thread, it gets a little testy around here when the subject comes up.

Edited by bacpacjac (03/10/12 02:23 AM)

#242853 - 03/10/12 01:00 AM Re: Help my with our Family BOB [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
due to differences in climate I anticipate the need for more fluids... pack has 2L hydration bladder, Sawyer filter bottle,.5L Kleen Kanteen knockoff, powdered GatorAid for EGR and chlorine dioxide tabs...less severe sleeping conditions.. mosquito netting, tarp,GI poncho, AMK heet sheet w/3mil trash liner...

for sharps I have a cut down machete, Vic Farmer, Cold Steel SRK, folding saw, a GI entrenching tool is in the car

long gun and hand gun would accompany me (Florida is a right to carry state)

Jackie...I would recommend a real Trangia alcohol stove over anything you might want to build...

Edited by LesSnyder (03/10/12 01:02 AM)

#242855 - 03/10/12 01:15 AM Re: Help my with our Family BOB [Re: LesSnyder]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thank Les!

I've been scouring Jim's site (look what he did to me today! Trangia vs bush buddy!) I'll probably pick up a trangia in the near future. Alcohol stoves seem like the perfect compromise between wood and gas. The fact that they're compact and so simple makes them perfect for this type of kit.

I'm thinking of picking up a GI poncho as well. They're as effective but more versatile than a tarp, me thinks, and would effectively gives us a second set of wet weather gear.

Thanks again!

#242875 - 03/10/12 02:59 PM Re: Help my with our Family BOB [Re: Woodsloafer]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Woodsloafer
Most, if not all, meals should be edibile without cooking. You may not have the time or the fuel to stop and cook a meal. Unless you use a liquid or cartridge fuelled stove, smoke can give you away if you're hunkered down some where.

Be sure to include water, both in the BoB's and the vehicle.

(I could mention weapons, but that's a whole 'nother topic.)

I do not think weapons are part of your BOB. You should be carrying them as an EDC item if you think that is appropriate. There is no reason to expect that one will magically become proficient with a firearm or other weapon at a time of great stress.

I think it is a reasonable kit. One can argue about the details all day, but many of those decisions are based solely on personal choice rather than some objective standard of what "should" be.

I do not think weight is a big deal. I see no case where a BOB would be in use that I would be hoofing it through the woods on a backpacking jaunt, as many seem to see it. If you end up needing to hoof it, you can take a few minutes to sort through things and get rid of stuff that you can live without.

I am not too worried about food. People seem to obsess over it a lot, but it seems to me it is a fairly low priority item. Mostly a comfort item for a short term situation. I am not real worried about nutritionally balanced meals (whatever that means) for a day or two. While I think there is some merit to the idea of no or minimal preparation type foods (candy bars, crackers, etc. come to mind), if one has the ability to boil water, most people can also heat up just about anything. And the ability to boil water is not real hard to put in your BOB.

BTW, on the canned food versus pouches issue. There is not all that much difference in weight between canned food and the retort pouched food if you look at the net weight per ounce of actual food. The can itself does weigh more than a pouch but the typical pouches of Spam or tuna hold a lot less Spam or tuna than a can does. Since this is not an ultralightweight backpacking setup, a few extra ounces one way or the other does not seem like it makes that much difference.

Bob

#242876 - 03/10/12 04:04 PM Re: Help my with our Family BOB [Re: ILBob]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thank IlBob!

"I do not think weapons are part of your BOB. You should be carrying them as an EDC item if you think that is appropriate. There is no reason to expect that one will magically become proficient with a firearm or other weapon at a time of great stress."

AGREED. We don't own a gun yet. There are lots of reasons for that but let's leave it at "we're working up to it." DH grew up at the range (guns and archery) and DS and I are working up to it.

"I do not think weight is a big deal. I see no case where a BOB would be in use that I would be hoofing it through the woods on a backpacking jaunt, as many seem to see it. If you end up needing to hoof it, you can take a few minutes to sort through things and get rid of stuff that you can live without."

AGREED.

"Iam not too worried about food. People seem to obsess over it a lot, but it seems to me it is a fairly low priority item. Mostly a comfort item for a short term situation. I am not real worried about nutritionally balanced meals (whatever that means) for a day or two. "

AGREED -to a degree. If it was just DH and I, food wouldn't be a big issue for a few days, except in the winter when it's a good weapon against hypothermia. With an 8 year old in the mix, food becomes an important part of our psychological strategy. Consistency is crucial when it comes to kids, and gaining that through a meal in a high stress situation is worth the weight, space and time IMO.

#242887 - 03/10/12 09:41 PM Re: Help my with our Family BOB [Re: bacpacjac]
LED Offline
Veteran

Nice kits! Only thing I can think of is maybe a deck of cards and some sugarless gum. Kinda morale boosters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (miner), 510 Guests and 136 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.