Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#118998 - 01/06/08 01:39 AM Pics of my Sleep System
Hacksaw
Unregistered

3rd post today with pictures!

A while ago I posted about putting together a sort of modular sleeping bag system and since my order arrived from REI yesterday I had the chance to assemble it today...so of course I took pictures:

What you see (inside out):
  • Adventure Medical 2.0 bivy - Used as a vapor barrier and radiant heat reflector. If you've never seen one of these before it's shaped like a tapered rectangle nearly 6 feet long. It has Velcro about every 4 inches from half way up on one side to the top and around the top. It's sewn together everywhere else except the middle of the foot box seam where there's a vent that can be completely closed with Velcro. The inside can only be described as fuzzy...I imagine this is to combat the clammy feeling one gets as it's a non-breathable material. AMK claims 80% radiant heat reflection. It's designed to be used on it's own in mild temperatures. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to use it together with the bivy (and without a sleeping bag) with good success when the weather is right. This combo will also be super lightweight.
  • The North Face Aleutian sleeping bag - If you believe TNF, the hollow core H.O.T. SL filling is highly compressible, high loft, and resists breakdown over repeated use. They recommend storing it in it's compression bag so it must be fairly lofty loft. It's rated for -7C so I should be able to get good use through 2-3 seasons up here with it. In summer this will be put away and possibly replaced with a lighter bag or something more basic and compact.
  • REI Minimalist Bivy (long) - Very basic and very light. No head coverage save for a bug screen. This isn't an issue as I don't plan to use it without some other form of shelter (like a tarp). The top material is the REI proprietary waterproof/breathable fabric. I can see already that condensation might be a problem...the vapor barrier is really going to help control that. There's lots of room left in the foot and I'd be able to jam my pack in there if I had to (though normally I wouldn't bother). The bag has lots of space around the middle and if this system turns out to not be warm enough for winter I'll easily be able to put the sleeping bag in an insulated over bag like this one. If I do, this should be the ultimate modular system for the dollar (for me).
  • Outdoor Research Hydroseal Drycomp waterproof compression bag (size 5) - Technically speaking with the sleeping bag inside the bivy, this might not be needed...but I want to be 100% sure. This also protects from a brief water dunk and will float without taking on water. The whole thing gets rolled up foot to head and put in this bag. I leave it uncompressed and when I need it I just tighten the straps and put it in the lower section of my 60L pack...fits perfectly.

What's not pictured is a Thermarest RidgeRest (full length, non-deluxe) sleeping pad. I've never been a believer for summer use but when I picked it up a week or so ago I went outside, put it on the ground and laid down in my regular clothes...the ground almost felt warm! I was convinced. For obvious reasons it won't fit in this kit (though for storage I've tried rolling it around the uncompressed dry bag to cut down on the space it takes up) In summer it might not be taken at all as it's really bulky and I still have most of my 'sleeping on rocks' tolerance from when I was a Scout.

The whole thing weighs about 5.5 lbs.

Because I just put this together tonight it has yet to be tested but I plan to rectify that soon.

#119003 - 01/06/08 02:10 AM Re: Pics of my Sleep System [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Good job on both posts!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#119021 - 01/06/08 04:40 AM Re: Pics of my Sleep System [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It looks real good, I can't wait to hear how it tested. How far down do you think the combo will go and still be comfortable?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#119023 - 01/06/08 06:39 AM Re: Pics of my Sleep System [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

To be honest I'm not sure. I put it together hoping for the best. If it works to -20C without a fire I'll be satisfied for now. If it's comfortable at that temperature I'll be happy. As soon as the weather gets cold again I'll be spending a night out on the balcony to find out just how effective it is.

#119025 - 01/06/08 07:16 AM Re: Pics of my Sleep System [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
-20C might be a little optimistic as the base bag is rated to -7C, but that will depend what you are wearing.

One thing that I am eager to hear is how much condensation was a problem.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.