Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97778 - 06/18/07 04:53 PM a new alternative to duck tape?
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Gorilla Tape is purported to be a stronger alternative to duck tape. I've only seen the website, not the product itself, but I will keep an eye out for it. Looks promising.

#97779 - 06/18/07 05:00 PM Re: a new alternative to duck tape? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I used it all the time. Kicks butt over all other tapes, bar none. Hard to tear. You need a knife.

#97875 - 06/19/07 11:00 PM Re: a new alternative to duck tape? [Re: ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Picked some up at Wal-Mart last night. It seems to live up to it's billing: very thick, definitely a strong adhesive. Had no trouble tearing it by hand. I suspect, though, that if wrapped onto a pencil & stored in real-world conditions it may become impossible to unwrap, especially if kept in hot places like a car trunk. We'll see.

#97971 - 06/20/07 08:06 PM Re: a new alternative to duck tape? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
cajun_kw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southern California
Unwrapping duct tape is hard enough ... would be nice is somebody made smaller rolls of the stuff for kit use. I hate re-rolling it to have some in my kit and keeping the last part of an almost used up roll is quite bulky. There has to be a better way.
Did find some short sesction of duct tape with peel off backing made by Coughlan's...but haven't tried it out yet to for grip strength compared to the other stuff I've used. But it packs easier and maybe 6 feet or so is plenty ?
After all ... theat whole.."more is better"..mantra has its limitations.

#97979 - 06/20/07 10:03 PM Re: a new alternative to duck tape? [Re: cajun_kw]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
They do:

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/item_detail.asp?ID=0155-0865

But I haven't seen it for gorilla-tape so far

#97984 - 06/20/07 11:14 PM Re: a new alternative to duck tape? [Re: JIM]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Gorilla tape is great, depends what you're doing though.

My favorite duct tape "substitute" is 3M Extreme Application packing tape. Transparent and lots of glass fibres in it. You won't be tearing this by hand. Kinda expensive compared to duct tape. Not nearly as messy as duct tape to deal with because it doesn't stretch and rip, though that doesn't matter in a survival situation...guaranteed useful stuff. Not meant for the same apps as Gorilla tape.

Quality duct tape is much easier to deal with than cheap stuff, as far as re-rolling, never mind in actual use. They're not all the same. Duck brand has to be one of the worst to work with IME, I only use it at all for the colors.

If you don't have any saved non-stick backing, try using a junk credit card (I get them sent in the mail all the time) to roll on. That is if thickness matters for your roll. I have my small kit duct tape wound on one, pretty easy to get off too compared to a small squishy roll, each layer is about 7".

#97985 - 06/20/07 11:28 PM Re: a new alternative to duck tape? [Re: cfraser]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've got some wrapped around my nalgene in the car. It's about twice as bulky as duct tape with a similar length. So far, no problem pulling it off (after about 7 months in winter/spring weather).

Another idea with duct tape is stolen from D.R. : Buy some mailing labels, and peel off the labels, keeping the waxy-paper that they're stuck to. The duct tape can be stuck to this, and it'll peel right off. You essentially make your own flat-pack.

#98002 - 06/21/07 01:53 AM Re: a new alternative to duck tape? [Re: JIM]
cajun_kw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for the link to the Adventure Medical site with the small roll of duct tape. That's cool.
And I really like the idea of re-using the backing for labels ... I go thru pages of the stuff at work ...saving the sheets to apply to duct tape is definitely something I'm gonna give a try.

#98093 - 06/21/07 05:46 PM Re: a new alternative to duck tape? [Re: cajun_kw]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
I have used wax paper to wind duct tape on. Just cut a 6" long rectangle the width of the tape and start winding. Six feet is a fairly thin rectangular pad. I have not gotton to the bottom of the wind yet, so I am not 100% sure if the tape will peel back off of the wax paper after long term storage.

#98282 - 06/24/07 02:11 AM Re: a new alternative to duck tape? [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
that stuff is the best. I've got this double stroller we've taken on family trips with the kids and all the crap we store in the bottom (water, food etc.) has caused the thing to rip. One year we went to disney and I reinforced the thing with duct tape. In the daily heat, the tape eventually gave way. The next year, same stroller and I sued the gorilla tape. Everyday in the killer sun with 10+ pounds of water and stuff in that basket and it held. This was last year and we still use it all the time with no touch up needed yet! I've used it for a million other things too. Sure it's hard to unroll sometimes, but not something you can't handle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 268 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.