I didn't want to hijack the Iodine dropper thread, so I'm opening up a new one to address two questions I have about health and sanitation. I came across these in one of the recent ITRH (In The Rabbit Hole) podcasts and I want everybody's thoughts on them

1) Powdered bleach vs liquid bleach: Powdered bleach, sold as pool supplies (pool shock) is supposed to have a near indefinite shelf life if left unopened. Household liquid bleach is only good for about a year. Assuming that I can work out the concentrations, would powdered bleach be a good alternative for cleaning and water purification?

FWIW Clorox regular bleach is 8.25% sodium hypochlorite solution containing approximately 7.85% available chlorine by weight, and Leslie's Power Powder Plus is 70% available chlorine by weight. I have no idea what their respective densities are.

2) Veterinary antibiotics: Keflex (cephalexin) is a common antibiotic used against skin and upper respiratory bacterial infections. I've been on it with no side effects. It's also sold OTC as fish flex, along with a number of other antibiotics (i.e. amoxicillin). In a complete TEOTWAWKI emergency where sickness has historically been a major problem(i.e. refugee camps), could it be used to treat or prevent bacterial infections?

3) Is there a preferred powdered treatment for honeybuckets (camp toilet). I've been relying on hydrated lime, but the stuff is so caustic, I can't help but wonder if there isn't already a commercial treatment for it.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane