One of the things that I recently encountered was the requirement for alternate means of transportation. My vehicle was t-boned the other day and while I argue with the insurance company about whether it should be "totalled" or not, I am presently without transportation.

My choices are
a) Rent a vehicle; but given the uncertainty of whether my vehicle will be totalled or not has an impact on whether the insurance company will pay for this rental.
b) Walking/bycycling
c) Catching a ride with friends
d) Public transport

I am opting for a combination of the above. The bus system introduced a new method of payment last year - it is a chip card that when read by an e-reader in each bus will automatically debit either the daily fare or the monthly pass. I think I will keep one of these cards loaded and ready for interim use (one more in the BOB) if I ever need to use alternate transporation again. It's convenient and never expires and more likely to be used in case I can never find any change in my pocket! It carries no personal information only the fares and the route numbers.

PS: I am really getting sick and tired of people hitting me! This is the 4th time in seven years I've been hit by somebody else (I'm never the cause). I've had one vehicle totalled and one about to be. This just grinds at me and I am beginning to lose my temper with these idiots other drivers. [Rant off!]

On a side note: the cops who attended the accident were highly amused when I emptied my vehicle contents into the awaiting taxi. There was my high-vis hard hat; high-vis vest, car kit, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, shovel, blanket, water bottles and bungee cords. Quite the armfull! They probably never saw anybody so SAFE! I incurred a bit of whiplash that didn't present itself until yesterday so I am nursing that for a while.