I wish I could find & acknowledge the poster that first made me aware of this, but I just ordered a great looking vest made by US Palm. It looks like an incredible product for home defense. It's a tactical type vest with a Level IIIa ballistic panel in the front (with the option to add one to the rear for $99). There are several options but the most intriguing models are the Molle and the Holster versions. I seriously considered the Molle version but in the end I opted for the holster version in black; it's also available in grey, camo, green and red, IIRC. It has a horizontal chest holster that looks to be plenty large for my FNP 45 Tactical & Surefire X300 Ultra. It has pouches for 3 mags or 2 mags and a light, phone, etc. I figure in a home invasion scenario I'm going to hunker down in a safe room, not try to clear the house. But if pressed and left with no alternative I will fight, and having the protection in the front is probably the most important. The really cool thing is that I bought it for under $200 shipped! grin

Here's a picture of it in coyote.

I watched some reviews & videos of the armor being shot with various calibers and am satisfied that the armor will defeat pistol caliber threats. It even defeated a Brenneke saboted copper slug although it's not rated for that.

If something goes bump in the night I can have a pistol w/rail-mounted light, 45 rounds of .45 ACP ammo, my Surefire E1B and cell all loaded in the vest, ready to go at a moment's notice and not have to search for anything. There's a loop-field in front too. That would be handy to attach another small case or perhaps some type of identification. I suppose maybe using one of the pouches for a spare pair of glasses might be a good idea, too.

I'll post my impressions once it arrives! cool