With the excellent efficiency that Cree LEDs provide as a light source, it was time to get a couple of emergency LED lanterns in case of power outages (although an extremely rare occasion, well we've basically not had one in going on 35 year now since the miners strike in the 1970s) especially as we seem to have got off to an early freezing winter here in the east coast of Scotland. North Sea oil and gas basically peaked in the late 1990s and the UK is now an net importer of energy reliant on foreign coal (all the Scottish coal mines closed down due to industrial vandalism) oil and gas to keep the lights on.

I found this on sale for half price in the local Halfords car and bicycle accessory store for around $23. Time I thought to get a couple of emergency AA powered Cree LED Lanterns (they looked to be quite useful for backpacking as well considering the size and weight i.e. 295 grams with 4 AA Alkaline cells (being just slightly larger than a UCO candle Lantern).

http://www.amazon.com/CREE-Lumens-Multi-functional-Lantern-Torch/dp/B0045WFX7O/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_a

The main feature that sets this lantern apart is the quite clever and neat dual mode function of the lantern itself. The LED rotates in the top part of the housing to become a wide area tasking flashlight. In this flashlight mode the lantern would be useful for tent duty as their is a flush fitting D-ring in the high density rubber base to allow attachment to a tent roof allowing the lantern to hang upside down much like a normal ceiling lamp.

With the 4 AA cells and a 180 Lumen Cree I would expect around 3 1/2 hrs continuous use on high and 6-8 hrs on low with LSD NiMh Eneloops. The Lantern also has a flash mode which would be useful for wide area emergency signaling.

The Lantern also appears to have reasonably good construction quality also and looks to be quite durable. With the quoted 180 Lumens the Lantern will easily light up smaller rooms such as bathrooms and large cupboards etc. The dual function of this lantern is an excellent design feature for emergency household lighting and can be even be taken on some outdoor adventures being small and compact enough to pack away into a BOB etc.

180 Lumen Cree Lantern

Lantern mode

Wide Area flashlight mode

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (11/26/10 06:07 PM)