Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#240641 - 02/06/12 11:22 PM Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality?
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/02/05/020512-news-detroit-vigilantes-1-5/

"911 IS A JOKE

Detroit citizens no longer rely on police as self-defense killings skyrocket"

I have no idea what this "thedaily" is, how it leans, or if its even real, but seems close to perception.

#240642 - 02/06/12 11:31 PM Re: Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality? [Re: ki4buc]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Wow.

HJ

#240646 - 02/07/12 12:15 AM Re: Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality? [Re: ki4buc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Right to Carry is relatively new to Michigan, coming in 2001. The Castle Doctrine became law there in 2006. It's not surprising to see some changes in how law-abiding citizens react to predators.

#240723 - 02/08/12 03:09 PM Re: Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality? [Re: ki4buc]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
As a former comic geek, Frank Miller was a god in the '80's.

Yeah, some scary stuff happens.

Finn

#240726 - 02/08/12 03:28 PM Re: Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality? [Re: ki4buc]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
MI is a shall issue state, so it is fairly straightforward for the average law abiding citizen to purchase firearms and to get a licensee to carry.

Chicago is about where Detroit was 2 or 3 years ago. The citizens of Chicago are generally denied any means of self protection, although there is at least now a chance of being allowed to have a usable firearm (but only one) in one's home.

Bob

#240757 - 02/08/12 09:35 PM Re: Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality? [Re: ki4buc]
LED Offline
Veteran

Its doesn't help that thieves all over the US are stealing the wiring from street lights. Unless they solve the underlying economic issues, things won't get much better.

#240782 - 02/09/12 03:31 AM Re: Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality? [Re: ki4buc]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
"911 IS A JOKE

People need to realize that the police are your backup, not your primary line of defense. And in the case of Detroit, apparently a very poor backup.

#240815 - 02/09/12 02:37 PM Re: Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality? [Re: LED]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: LED
Its doesn't help that thieves all over the US are stealing the wiring from street lights. Unless they solve the underlying economic issues, things won't get much better.

In an adjoining city to where I live, the city is actually paying the power company to remove a bunch of street lights to save money on electricity.

Bob

#240816 - 02/09/12 02:44 PM Re: Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality? [Re: haertig]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: haertig
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
"911 IS A JOKE

People need to realize that the police are your backup, not your primary line of defense. And in the case of Detroit, apparently a very poor backup.

There are no places where the police are sitting outside waiting for criminals to stop by. They are not even really your backup most of the time. Most places they are there to deal with the aftermath. They take reports and may go get the bad guys after the fact, but they are not there (except in very rare instances) when you truly need them, and the chance of them getting there in time to do much good is limited. That is not their fault. It is just the way it is.

Your first line of defense is living in an area with lower crime rates. Physical security is critical and is your second line of defense. Make it difficult enough and most times the criminals will go elsewhere.

Bob

#240820 - 02/09/12 04:11 PM Re: Robocop vision of Detroit close to reality? [Re: ILBob]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: ILBob
Originally Posted By: LED

In an adjoining city to where I live, the city is actually paying the power company to remove a bunch of street lights to save money on electricity.

FWIW I've lived on streets with a street light outside my window, and on streets without the light. I'll take the street without the street light.

Removing street lights is a product of the recession and budgets, but a lot of cities and towns are what I would consider over-lighted (ymmv). Lights near intersections can deter accidents (safety), but there is little evidence that street lights have any impact on crime. There are many factors obviously but things like foot traffic through the neighborhood - the likelihood that residents will freely take a walk at whatever hour - are a better indicator of exposure to crime.

Downsizing lighting grids can save significant energy and money, so can transitioning light poles to more modern lighting technology, light control systems, dimmers and transitioning to LEDs can all lead to more efficient uses of energy and budgets - but lighting costs, and some towns are imposing a surcharge on nearby residents for the light poles in their neighborhood. Folks who grew up with one lighting pattern in their community for most of their lives can see less lighting as the dimming of society - honestly, I see an intelligent downsizing program as the height of it. Embrace the darkness :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.