The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208319 - 09/20/10 12:44 AM For any of you who are watching "the Colony"
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
In the area of Urban/Disaster Survival do you think that Security is a valid new category for survival needs?

#208320 - 09/20/10 12:45 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
always has been in my view.

#208321 - 09/20/10 12:49 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: MartinFocazio]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Thanks, just looking for a reality check here... I don't ever take hollywood's view on survival at face value. Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you.

#208328 - 09/20/10 01:54 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I think security is a very valid concern, especially as emergencies or disasters grow larger in geographical scale and as they begin to cover a longer timeline.

If an emergency or disaster is only a local event outside help could come more readily or people could more easily move out of the affected area, but on a larger scale it's much harder for either to occur. This could lead to desperation on the part of people within the disaster zone.

In a similar manner people might become more desperate as time passes and they find that they're in need of food, water and other basic needs. People can generally keep their head for a day or two in a small disaster once the eminent danger has passed, but within a week if the outlook doesn't appear to be brightening attitudes can quickly change.

If a desperate group finds out that you are prepared and have supplies they might try to take what you have. Even if a group doesn't know that you are prepared a they might simply cross your path as they go from place to place in search of supplies.

Aside from that, you've also got to consider that some people will take advantage of moments of chaos to try to take whatever they want because they figure no one is watching or that everyone is too busy to worry about them.

This line of thinking is why I consider security an important part of preparation.

I could be wrong, that's just my opinion.

#208331 - 09/20/10 02:01 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

I am learning to share that opinion. it was "the Colony" that brought it to the surface for me and now that is has i'm troubled by how little literature or training is available on the subject, or perhaps my reading material is outdated. Cody touches on the subject in "when all Hell breaks loose" and a few other texts have a paragraph or two on the matter but i've yet to find any in depth information on this topic. Can anyone reccomend a good source of reading material for this?

#208337 - 09/20/10 02:24 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
LED Offline
Veteran

Security is equally important before natural/man made disasters occur. Can't underestimate the dangers of everyday theft. You may have a great generator but if your garage isn't well lit and secure it may not be there when you need it. Same with your home. Alarm system, securing doors and windows, etc. are all an important part of emergency preparedness. May need to be more vigilant during a crisis, but I imagine if you already have a sound safety routine you wouldn't have to change a whole lot. Then again, I'm not expecting a Colony/Mad Max type scenario. Slower to non-existent emergency respone times? Sure, for a period. But IMO there will always be some form of law enforcement, and I'm betting it will be fully restored sooner rather than later. Of course I could be wrong and my approach may be too conservative. In that case I'll bust out my black leather chaps, motorcycle boots, and take on a really bad australian accent. cool

#208340 - 09/20/10 02:37 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I am fairly well prepared for a bug-in disaster scenario. Not fantastically prepared, but certainly far better than most.

I will share what I have with people in need who ask, but woe be the stupid bugger who tries to TAKE what I have. One thing for sure - I *am* fantastically prepared for security. I feel security in a disaster is right up there near the top of the list of things to be prepared for. Actually, security period. Disaster or not.

Hmmm, I haven't seen The Colony. I vaguely remember hearnig the name of the show though. Maybe I should check it out. It sounds intriguing.

#208343 - 09/20/10 02:45 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: haertig]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Its fun to watch but i'm not at all sure how realistic this reality show is. I've got the 1st season on iTunes and i'm getting the 2nd season as well. Its on USA network but you can also watch it online at wwww.fancast.com. I think it airs on tuesdays, if anyone is interested. I will tell you this... they are amateurs.

Update: No I think its actually on the Discover channel.

Edited by Stoney (09/20/10 02:49 AM)

#208344 - 09/20/10 02:45 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Stoney
Can anyone reccomend a good source of reading material for this?

"The Zombie Survival Guide". No, really. Sure, it's about protecting yourself from zombies, but you'll find lots of information applicable to a more realistic survival situation in there. Plus, it's a fun read. It's not a humor book, when you're reading it you get engrossed and forget you're reading about zombies. Surviving the zombie attack is presented in a matter-of-fact and serious manner. The thugs that would attack you and try to take your stuff in a disaster are not a whole lot different than those relentless no-conscience zombies anyway. Think about it.

#208345 - 09/20/10 02:49 AM Re: For any of you who are watching "the Colony" [Re: Stoney]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
if you read the other Colony session two thread, my very first impression was better security. I am glad that they finally have come to that realization though as you saw, even with heightened awareness they still have no OP/LP, sentry's or dedicated buddy team movement. They still have not sealed off the perimeter and my suggestion would be to create a secondary wall about 100 yards from their main compound.

In terms of 'survival' in no particular order of a bug in type situation, therefore flexible for the unique circumstances: water, shelter, food, security. In group situations I would include leadership structure. Security is not necessarily defensive steps against human aggression, though it can be in the Colony. It could be making sure that once your shelter is up that no one would get injured getting in or out, that it protects from insects and animals.

As you can see a solar powered shower and wind driven battery charger are not 'most important' on my list.

The main problem with group survival is that people will tend towards what is comfortable for them which is things they know how to do and believe gives them value for their group status. When you have scientists and mechanics, all necessary trades for TEOTWAWKI situations like on the show, you end up with vital but less important work being done first and someone staying up in the middle of the night for a Listening Post shift done last.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 629 Guests and 145 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.