The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#176567 - 07/16/09 12:37 PM Apartment Preparedness
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I have recently returned to renting and was wondering what other renters may do differently than home owners. I have scaled back on the amount of stored food and water due to space concerns. The only vegetables I can grow are what I can fit on a balcony.

I have also reinforced my doors with additional locks and door chimes.

One benefit I am already reaping is that I have more available cash to spend on prepping and security.

Anything else I should concentrate on?

#176569 - 07/16/09 12:52 PM Re: Apartment Preparedness [Re: el_diabl0]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If your unit is elevated, consider adequate egress, ie a rope ladder or some such. You might also consider a CCTV/security system suitable for an apartment.

#176586 - 07/16/09 03:43 PM Re: Apartment Preparedness [Re: benjammin]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Wood, or a window tool to "lock" the window from sliding. My old apt. had a bar that was hinged on the wall that we could slide in behind the closed window for "added" security. Same thing for the sliding glass door if you have one. Also a front door bar either on the ground or to the wall behind it depending on how the door is setup.

Checkout the Survival Forum and the Campfire for growing with the Earth Boxes on your balcony. RedFlare shows how great they are! You could grow an entire crop of tomatoes and zucchini probably!

#176630 - 07/16/09 06:48 PM Re: Apartment Preparedness [Re: Todd W]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Um, unless it is a polycarbonate or safety glass window, a bar won't be much help. It is an illusion that is easily penetrated. An alarm attached to the glass would be much better.

#176634 - 07/16/09 07:10 PM Re: Apartment Preparedness [Re: benjammin]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Um, unless it is a polycarbonate or safety glass window, a bar won't be much help. It is an illusion that is easily penetrated. An alarm attached to the glass would be much better.

Um, I never said it would prevent the glass from being BROKEN crazy it would prevent someone from very quietly lifting out the window, or sliding it (if the latch was not on) and getting in and attacking you (if you were there) or a quick in`n`out job robbing the place.

Apartments are on top each other, and if someone broke a window trying to get in neighbors would notice. So, yeah, the bar is nice to add. A second or third story unit is even better wink

#176648 - 07/16/09 08:35 PM Re: Apartment Preparedness [Re: Todd W]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yep, I figured that would be your response, and that is fine. I would point out, though, that it is quite possible and effective to break a glass window without making enough noise for anyone to notice. I've had it done to me, and I was in an adjacent room at the time. They used an adhesive film to hold the glass in place and then cracked out around the edge of the pane, then pulled the film back with all the broken glass stuck to it. Then they lifted the latch and would've got right in but for the cat that scared the by-Jesus out of them.

A siren with a window trigger would've been almost as effective as that darn cat.

#176651 - 07/16/09 08:49 PM Re: Apartment Preparedness [Re: benjammin]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Never heard of that window-film trick. Thanks for the heads-up Benjammin.

#176654 - 07/16/09 09:02 PM Re: Apartment Preparedness [Re: el_diabl0]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
There is a legacy thread of preparing an apartment here:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=69996

#176657 - 07/16/09 10:22 PM Re: Apartment Preparedness [Re: benjammin]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Yep, I figured that would be your response, and that is fine. I would point out, though, that it is quite possible and effective to break a glass window without making enough noise for anyone to notice. I've had it done to me, and I was in an adjacent room at the time. They used an adhesive film to hold the glass in place and then cracked out around the edge of the pane, then pulled the film back with all the broken glass stuck to it. Then they lifted the latch and would've got right in but for the cat that scared the by-Jesus out of them.

A siren with a window trigger would've been almost as effective as that darn cat.

Was waiting for a reply like this wink Duct-Tape is also another popular tool for this (so I've heard.)

I`m not saying a window alarm is a bad idea by any means, they are affordable and a good alert system! Especially for an apartment, you don't even need them centrally controlled, 2 or 3 that you can turn on and off at night or when you leave make it even cheaper wink

I still think statistically I'd put a bar in too... probably much more likely to get that type of attempted break-in than someone not shattering your glass, or someone using a glass cutter and reaching in smile

Well said!

#176658 - 07/16/09 10:47 PM Re: Apartment Preparedness [Re: Todd W]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Absolutely add a bar or locking device. It is inexpensive and every little bit helps. It's also better than nothing. I like security in layers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 160 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.