Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209493 - 10/11/10 07:08 PM Please recommend several plants for indoors during
Cockroach Offline
Stranger

Trying this gardening thing to build prepping skills.

We live in urban city across Hudson from NYC. I had mixed success with tomato and pepper plants on our decks thus summer/fall. I learned some things and I am determined to make a comeback next spring.

But in the interim during the winter I'd like to try growing some herbs/veggies in our home (small three story row house). Keep in mind window space is a bit limited.

Also with it still being moderate weather I might try outdoor growing of early maturing items like bunching onions or chives, maybe beets. Any others that might work for North East?

I'm open to all suggestions for indoors & outdoors. Thanks!

#209501 - 10/11/10 08:23 PM Re: Please recommend several plants for indoors during [Re: Cockroach]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
With the low light levels in winter, it will be mostly leafy greens that will grow, IF they're in whatever direct sunlight is available. You might try lettuce, spinach, corn salad, mesclun mixes, kale, beets (leaf varieties, not bulb), onions (for clipping greens), and garlic.

If you don't think you have enough light, or the plants grow very slowly, you may want to invest in some kind of grow lights.

Fruiting plants need more light and more warmth than you have available.

Sue

#209504 - 10/11/10 08:37 PM Re: Please recommend several plants for indoors during [Re: Cockroach]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
One word for you: sprouts!

They are amazingly nutrious and can be used in all sorts of ways. Alfalha, wheat, beans, etc all make great micro-gardens.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#209508 - 10/11/10 09:15 PM Re: Please recommend several plants for indoors during [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Blast
One word for you: sprouts!

They are amazingly nutrious and can be used in all sorts of ways. Alfalha, wheat, beans, etc all make great micro-gardens.

-Blast
Don't forget broccoli sprouts -- good stuff.

#209509 - 10/11/10 09:27 PM Re: Please recommend several plants for indoors during [Re: Cockroach]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sprouts are dead easy to do. A fine project for even young kids. A jar, seeds, some water, sunshine is helpful but only vital if you like them to green up a bit before eating. People do this on sailboats to get fresh greens. I think they have done them on the space station. Might have been for dinner and they took notes. Might have been part of an experiment and some ended up getting nibbled on. Hard to say which.

Sprouts are a good option.

I hear some herbs are an option but I don't know which ones. Down here you can grow something year round. It does freeze. We even got a few flakes of snow in 1978. I think that was the year I saw three flakes float down. I understand there were more. Made the news and everything. They melted as soon as they touched down but you can take my word on it snowing.

With a simple warming frame made of scrap wood and plastic you can extend the season in most areas. Greens and root vegetables may be the way to start.

#209525 - 10/12/10 01:43 AM Re: Please recommend several plants for indoors during [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
How'd that Old Commercial go? Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia! Chia Pets,Do they even sell those anymore?How about the Brine shrimp/Sea Monkey kits of Eons ago,They also could grow Seaweed,Good source of Vitamin-K/Iodine!

#209526 - 10/12/10 01:46 AM Re: Please recommend several plants for indoors during [Re: Cockroach]
LED Offline
Veteran

+3 on the sprouts! I was gonna use glass jars but I'm not a talented sprouter so got this instead. A little easier than a glass jar IMO.

#209549 - 10/12/10 04:31 PM Re: Please recommend several plants for indoors during [Re: Cockroach]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
There is the possibility of setting up a Hydroponic growing system with spectrum lighting,In this you could grow just about any Vegetable,plant,etc. in a very short amount of time.I think Cost would be the deciding factor though,I understand it is quite expensive,To start up initially,but once you've figured out what you need,the cost is no longer,an issue!I have eaten Tomatoes,Radishes,Swiss Chard- a friend grew,last year,All 3 were delicious,& I couldn't taste any chemicals,Whatsoever!His greenhouse is about 6'Dx6'Wx8'-high

#209640 - 10/14/10 02:43 AM Re: Please recommend several plants for indoors during [Re: Richlacal]
Cockroach Offline
Stranger

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Sprouts sound easy and fun, Ill check that magazine, and investigate small scale hydroponics--although that sounds pricey atm.

#210945 - 11/06/10 11:55 AM Re: Please recommend several plants for indoors during [Re: Cockroach]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Solar-heated, insulated, roof-top greenhouse, with auxiliary heating in winter as needed.

Edit: As I recall an ordinary light bulb or grow light may provide all the heat needed.

Edited by dweste (11/06/10 08:09 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Bingley), 534 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.