Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206067 - 08/13/10 02:05 PM Gore Tex socks as on body kit
TANSTAF1 Offline

Loc: Born in ME, in exile in MA
There are good threads on using condoms, balloons, freezer bags, oven bags, etc. for small, collapsible water containers to hold water for purification/filtering in a extra small Altoids tin/GHB or on body kit.

(Interestingly I do not recall any discussion of Aloksaks which are designed to keep water out but could be used to carry water - but they are still in the category of plastic containers. I have one but they do not seem better than freezer bags.)

All these seem to have pros and cons.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had used/thought of Gore Tex socks to contain water - seemingly it would be more durable. the issue might be how to absolutely seal the top opening, but I am more concerned with catastrophic failure from bursting or a puncture and I suspect Gore Tex would be better for that.

The cheapest pair I saw was about $45, so wanted to see if anyone else had tried this before opening my wallet.

#206080 - 08/13/10 04:32 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: TANSTAF1]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
TANSTAF1....haven't used gore tex socks but thought of making a large "bota bag" water carrier...draw string bag out of inexpensive pvc coated nylon poncho... seamless one piece, multi use... regards Les

#206083 - 08/13/10 04:46 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: LesSnyder]
TANSTAF1 Offline

Any source for those?

I have been looking at kayaking dry bags or beach bags but nothing seems to be the right size (or material).

#206084 - 08/13/10 04:51 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: TANSTAF1]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

While I never considered socks as an emergency water container, over the years I have bounced around with a lot of different ideas for emergency on person water storage. And none outside of a dedicated, seal able, marked with specific measurement for treatment bag or container really cut it for me.

For years I did lots of back country horse back riding and always wanted something on my person to gather water if separated from the horse and my gear. While I still do some trail riding, I now hike almost daily with my dogs. And always have water and containers in my pack. With that said,and even a fairly remote possibility that I would be separated from my pack, I still carry a dedicated water bag in my personal survival kit which is always on my person. Right now there is a heavy duty 1 quart freezer bag in my PSK-which I change out and inspect frequently, soon to be upgraded with the pocket plus with comes with a better container. And normally a 1 litter platypus collapsible container in my belt kit, handbag, vest or cargo pocket.

I look at it this way if I'm in a position to need water and only have what's on my person (my bag is gone or I can't get to it for a real water container) then there is also a good likelihood that I'm in an emergency situation and may need to treat the water and treatment takes time as well as the need to have the exact measurements clearly marked on the container, not a situation that I'd want to be guessing on what constitutes 1 litter. Then I also want the possibility to be able to seal the container up and move while waiting for the treatment to work or perhaps drink a portion of it and save the rest. Just my thoughts on the matter. I also carry the Katadyn Micropur treatment tabs in my psk and pack, each tab treats 1 litter.

#206089 - 08/13/10 05:41 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: rebwa]
TANSTAF1 Offline

Yes, I have some Katadyn Micropur treatment tabs in my "on body kit" (actually "in pants pockets kit") and need something in which they can do their thing as it takes 4 hours. I also have a heavy duty freezer bag as the water container for that process.

I'd like to upgrade from the freezer bag as I also have the same concern for durability - although I do have a small amount of electrical tape and super glue with which I could hopefully return it to serviceable condition until a more permanent one could be obtained.

#206100 - 08/13/10 08:50 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: TANSTAF1]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Every bit of Gore-Tex clothing I have ever worn has eventually leaked water at some point. It has also been my experience that price has nothing to with durability either.

That said I certainly would never use Gore-Tex sock as a water backup. There are far too many impracticalities with this for any scenario.

Have you considered a collapsible water bottle? We have several of these in our hiking gear repertoire and they have come in very handy, especially in the summer months when fresh water can be harder to find in some areas, yet there is no need to always carry gallons of water at a time. When empty, they fold up to a very small size and can be tucked into any backpack or jacket pocket etc. Also they are cheap enough that you purchase several and still have change leftover from your $45.00.

These bottles can be found in almost any reputable hiking/mountaineering store.

John Lubbock

#206102 - 08/13/10 09:10 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: Teslinhiker]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
TANSTAF1...sorry I misread your post about ON BODY....I'm new to the forums but this is an issue I am concerned with. My original thought was to "dumpster dive" for a bottle and use the Katadyn ClO2 tabs to disinfect...the fold up "platypus"bags are a solution,along with roasting bags, mother's milk storage bags but was looking for something with a smaller profile than the way the cap lays. I wanted a multi use solution is part of my on body carry...the soft stuff..the signal mirror, Bic lighter/button compass, hemostatic gauze, 2x3 gauze, knuckle bandaids, Katadyn tabs, foil roll of Motrin/Tylenol/Aleve tabs, and mosquito wipes ride in the top half (folded)of a 4x8 heavy duty ziploc type bag. Zipped it holds 300ml. Seams are reinforced with, and bag is completely covered with very thin "Duck" brand automotive tape. regards Les

#206109 - 08/13/10 11:00 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Amen to the comment about Gore-Tex leaking. A foldable water bottle (Platypus or equiv) is the best solution. If you are in a situation where water needs to be carried between available sources, you need to arrange to carry enough canteens of adequate capacity - real canteens, not funky substitutes. In arid conditions, water is life. If I were in an emergency, and I had found a water source, I would tend to stay close to it and begin signaling.

My experience with the Platys has been quite good. I have several, ranging in size from two liters to one-half liter. No leaks, no problems.

#206112 - 08/13/10 11:21 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: TANSTAF1]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: TANSTAF1
Any source for those?

I have been looking at kayaking dry bags or beach bags but nothing seems to be the right size (or material).

I have this one in the 1L for short hikes on hot days, I can stuff my psk, small FAK and a couple other things in it and clip it to my belt loop. I could gather and treat water in it and my dogs could drink out of it. The downside to it is that it doesn't fold flat when closed. The closure mechanism is rather stiff, so it's better suited to clip to something.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/7

#206163 - 08/14/10 05:57 PM Re: Gore Tex socks as on body kit [Re: rebwa]
TANSTAF1 Offline

I have many standard canteens and water carriers for when I got camping or hiking or in case the SHTF, such as military ones, 5 gallon collapsibles, Sawyer .02 micron water filters, Sport Berkeys, etc.

What I am seeking is something that will fold up and fit in a Altoids tin and leave room for other things. I am currently using a heavy duty freezer bag, but am seeking something more durable.

I found these:

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/1%20Qt.%20Emergency%20Water%20Bag.htm

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/1QtEmergencyWaterBag.InHand.2.jpg

Anyone familiar with them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 542 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.