Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#176233 - 07/13/09 03:17 PM urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I'm glad to see the new urban sub-forum here at ETS. Thanks in advance to Doug and our new moderators.

Like many aspects of life the things we do to enhance survivability must take context into account, and the urban environment presents a different though related context to the wilderness environment. When it comes to equipment one of the big differences is that in the wilds we typically wear and carry purpose-designed gear, and we don't care what others may think of that gear or how it looks. In an urban business environment that approach likely changes.

We've already established that the urban scenario likely involves being on the move. With that in mind, here are a some ideas to improve personal comfort and mobility.

- Choose shoes that provide comfort and support but maintain needed appearances, i.e. Rockports. For ladies who must wear high heels a spare pair of real shoes is critical. I've read accounts from 9/11 survivors who reported seeing piles of high heeled shoes tossed aside in the WTC stairwells.

- Choose undergarments made of tech fabrics or the new no-itch wool blends. For guys with beefy legs (like me) the synthetic boxer briefs prevent chafing on the inner thighs from hours of walking.

- High quality waterproof/breathable outerwear is available from many top tier makers in lightweight, urban-neutral colors.

- Select bags & briefcases that offer comfort when carried for hours, not just during the walk from the car to the office building. There are some briefcase & shoulder bag designs that have backpack straps which hide away behind the back panel.

More ideas?

#176241 - 07/13/09 03:56 PM Re: urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Hey Glock a roo. Good point on being clothing aware. From a personal point of view, I wear Ex Officio boxer briefs from REI. A tech fabric that is super comfy. (Sorry if TMI) but I got them for backpacking and now all I use.

Sensible shoes are so important. I gag seeing people use flip flop shower shoes as daily wear items. Especially when the asphalt is 140 degrees like will be today (okay all month and next month, last month too).

Perhaps its just the 'preparedness routine' in me but I rarely am not in a pair of good shoes if for nothing else than to know if I have to run, I don't have to stop and pick up a flip flop. Maybe its the scene from Die Hard with all the glass on the ground that did that, lol.

#176246 - 07/13/09 04:09 PM Re: urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility [Re: comms]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
After 9/11, a lot of people who work in DC began keeping sneakers at work (many probably buried in credenzas now). Some of us added a backpack with essentials such as a flashlight. I would advise those who could face a longer hike to keep a small backpack in their office that contains supplies appropriate to the season, including:

sneakers + socks
waterproof parka + hat
map (may take a different route walking than when driving)
cash
waterbottle(s)
flashlight/headlamp + batteries
small radio (you'll hunger for news)
pen and paper (small moleskin is great)
eyeglasses, if needed
energy bar
First Aid
cotton bandannas (many uses)
knife-Leatherman
pepper spray

Obviously in winter this should include warm gloves, hat, etc. In summer I'd want powdered Gatorade in there.

Edited by Dagny (07/13/09 04:47 PM)

#176249 - 07/13/09 04:48 PM Re: urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility [Re: Dagny]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
NYC Probably started the woman's "Running shoes to work" trend, with the Subway strike of, what was it, 1978 or 1979? LOTS of people had to walk part of the way, and you saw lots of women wearing dress clothes with running shoes. I know my wife, who takes the subway, basically has 4 pairs of shoes at work (basic colors/styles) and wears sneakers in/out
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#176255 - 07/13/09 05:03 PM Re: urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility [Re: comms]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: comms
I wear Ex Officio boxer briefs from REI. A tech fabric that is super comfy. (Sorry if TMI) but I got them for backpacking and now all I use.

Same story here, comms. I got a pile of the Ex Officios on sale from REI for hiking then went with them full time. I'm with you on the shoe thing too. When I see people in public wearing flipflops I know they haven't really thought things through.

#176264 - 07/13/09 05:42 PM Re: urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
LOL. Most of the young women I saw in Brisbane AU wore flip flops anytime they had to walk somewhere, go figure. They'd wear heels in the office, then switch to "Thongs" (Aussie for flip flops, I don't know what they call G-Strings there).

#176271 - 07/13/09 06:08 PM Re: urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
(Aussie for flip flops, I don't know what they call G-Strings there).

I'm willing to go there and look into the matter...purely for linguistic reasons, mind you.

Wait, can I still say things like that as a moderator? eek

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176282 - 07/13/09 06:47 PM Re: urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility [Re: Blast]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Wait, can I still say things like that as a moderator? eek -Blast

Sure; but you have to admonish yourself, and lock your account if you persist. crazy

On-topic; I have to wear impractical clothing to work (dress casual) so I make some allowances. I keep comfortable clothing in the car, along with a pair of well-loved hiking boots and good socks. I don't have the same urban escape complications now that I live and work out in the sticks, but I don't want to walk 15 miles home in Oxfords, either...

#176300 - 07/13/09 10:48 PM Re: urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility [Re: airballrad]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland

Umm, back from Aussie land---

Shoes and boots: not only comfort for walking, but consider waterproof and insulated depending on your climate. Mr. Murphy will see to it that when you are walking, it will be raining or snowing and there is nothing worse than walking in cold/wet shoes or sneakers. Frostbite is not to be fooled with.

And +1 on flashlight/headlamp. Not only while walking out, but the real problem is being in an interior room deep inside the office building and the power goes off. Hope the batteries in the emergency lights still work... if not, you will need that small EDC light in you pocket to find the rest of your gear.

#176319 - 07/14/09 01:59 AM Re: urban scenarios: enhancing comfort & mobility [Re: bws48]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Mole Skin / Blister Pads! Are a must have.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.