Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179947 - 08/21/09 02:08 PM How to mount a Lifehammer?
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I just recently purchased two Lifehammers for both of our vehicles, and I am at a loss as how and where to mount them. They suggest using two sided tape to affix the mounting frame underneath or near the dashboard or center console. I have a hard time believing that the Lifehammer will stay in place after a collision, secured with only tape???

I've read some posts elsewhere that suggested ditching the mounting frame and instead using velcro tape directly on the Lifehammer, and attaching it to the carpeting near the driver's seat? Once again, I wonder how well this would hold up in a collision.

From Compugeek's prior post, I might be interested in looking at a seat belt pocket of some kind, although I don't know what effect this might have on seat belt related injury? Any ideas are appreciated wink

#179956 - 08/21/09 03:42 PM Re: How to mount a Lifehammer? [Re: jcurphy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
They have holes for screws.

We plan to use sheet metal screws and mount ours to the body.

#179957 - 08/21/09 03:44 PM Re: How to mount a Lifehammer? [Re: jcurphy]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Further comment on my own solution:

The pad on my shoulder belt is one of those wrap-around velcroed ones to reduce pressure on the neck. It was solely for my late wife, the belt rides lower on me, so I don't use it.

The belt itself rides on a track on the door, so the upper end doesn't slide through a bracket or anything. I slid it into the pad, just out of sight, and slid the pad up to the top. The fabric is synthetic and quite strong. Any collision bad enough to rip that loose would probably leave me in no condition to try to get out of the vehicle.

I wouldn't want it down on my shoulder, it would be an almost guaranteed broken clavicle in an accident. I've had a cracked one (along with 8 broken ribs), I see no need to see what a fully broken one is like. If/when I have someone in my life again that uses the pad, I'll find a different solution. I wouldn't try mounting the hammer directly to the belt, for fear of compromising the integrity of the belt.

My solution isn't for anyone who actually uses the pad, but it works for me. smile

#179963 - 08/21/09 04:18 PM Re: How to mount a Lifehammer? [Re: Compugeek]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The hammer in my work vehicle was moved by the company from the dash to the ceiling just behind the front light, so it would be accessible to most of the people in the vehicle.

#179978 - 08/21/09 06:21 PM Re: How to mount a Lifehammer? [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Susan
The hammer in my work vehicle was moved by the company from the dash to the ceiling just behind the front light, so it would be accessible to most of the people in the vehicle.

That's an interesting idea.

#180006 - 08/21/09 09:38 PM Re: How to mount a Lifehammer? [Re: Todd W]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Indeed.

I'll be picking up some mounting tape, and putting mine back on the back of my center console, where passengers can reach it, too.

2009/08/22 5:04 pm -- No, I won't, after all. I realized I can't reach it with my off hand on the back of the center console. For now, it's staying on the shoulder belt. smile

Edited by Compugeek (08/22/09 11:06 PM)

#180184 - 08/23/09 07:50 PM Re: How to mount a Lifehammer? [Re: Compugeek]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I hate to be a spoil sport, but I would not be placing that thing anywhere near anyone's head or on a seatbelt next to my body. Looking at the mounting bracket, its plastic and holds the hammer in place with a flimsy tab. I would especially not place it overhead where someone's face could come into contact with it in a rollover. And if its on your seatbelt, what is going to happen when a pyrotechnic airbag comes into contact with it.

I happen the think the Life Hammer more marketing hype than anything else. You don't need a hammer to take out a side window in a car, a simple center punch will do and a seat belt can be sliced with much smaller and easier to carry tools which do not have the likelihood of becoming a missle or head-bash point in a collision. Benchmade makes a nice pocket carry all-in-one solution easily carried from vehicle to vehicle. Even the small Res-Q-Me could hang on a keychain and perform the same function.

Think about where you or your unbelted passengers are going to end up in a collision. Notice how the car industry has padded everything that your head may hit and how safety glass breaks on moderate impact into tiny pieces. YMMV.

Craig.

#180185 - 08/23/09 08:08 PM Re: How to mount a Lifehammer? [Re: celler]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: celler
I hate to be a spoil sport, but I would not be placing that thing anywhere near anyone's head or on a seatbelt next to my body. Looking at the mounting bracket, its plastic and holds the hammer in place with a flimsy tab. I would especially not place it overhead where someone's face could come into contact with it in a rollover. And if its on your seatbelt, what is going to happen when a pyrotechnic airbag comes into contact with it.

I happen the think the Life Hammer more marketing hype than anything else. You don't need a hammer to take out a side window in a car, a simple center punch will do and a seat belt can be sliced with much smaller and easier to carry tools which do not have the likelihood of becoming a missle or head-bash point in a collision. Benchmade makes a nice pocket carry all-in-one solution easily carried from vehicle to vehicle. Even the small Res-Q-Me could hang on a keychain and perform the same function.

Think about where you or your unbelted passengers are going to end up in a collision. Notice how the car industry has padded everything that your head may hit and how safety glass breaks on moderate impact into tiny pieces. YMMV.

Craig.

I have to disagree. I think the lifehammer is a good tool because:

- it's simple and therefore reliable. I have had a centerpunch fail, because the spring came loose.
- It's much more visible than a small rescue tool. Therefore easier to locate. (crashing is disorientating)
- The seatbelt cutter is a hook, which means it's safer to use than a folding knife.
- It also provides good grip. Small tools like a resqme is much easier to drop.

A properly mounted lifehammer is also much easier to grab in an emergency than an item in your pocket (which also can cause injury, during impact) Besides you can’t forget to bring it, if it’s mounted in the car.

I do Carry a resqme on mine belt…

#180218 - 08/24/09 01:17 AM Re: How to mount a Lifehammer? [Re: celler]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

In my case, no airbags, it's up by the door frame, not my head, and I don't do "unbelted passengers".

"Click it or Hoof it" is Rule #1 in my car. smile

#180954 - 08/31/09 08:09 PM Re: How to mount a Lifehammer? [Re: Compugeek]
jhritz Offline
Stranger

I have a ResQMe on my ignition key. It has a seatbelt cutter and a spring-loaded window breaker on it. By having it on my ignition key ring, its in reach when I'm driving and frequently with me when I'm in someone else's vehicle.

http://www.resqme.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.