So, I was a chaperone for the school trip to the Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC). 160 6th graders, about 50 adults, heated bungalow cabins and dorms, so it wasn't really camping, but it was a good trip for thinking about cold, wet and rainy conditions, because it was cold, wet and rainy and we were outside most of the time.

Lesson 1: If you don't keep your waterproof leather boots treated with waterproofing, they won't be waterproof when you're standing in a puddle for 90 minutes during the orienteering lessons.

Lesson 2: Children are incredibly stupid and won't remember to bring their own rain gear even after you tell them to bring rain gear 100 times. Carry a few spare ponchos.

Lesson 3: Adults are incredibly stupid and won't remember to bring their own rain gear even after you tell them to bring rain gear 100 times. Carry a few spare ponchos.

Lesson 4: Hypothermia sets in fast. My co-chaperone for the group was the chief of the EMS squad near me for many years, a paramedic. Due to lesson 2 and lesson 3, I was able to see by his pointing out to me the early onset of hypothermia in children and adults and was able to act immediately.

Lesson 5: Those hand-warmer packs? You need 4 times more than you think you need.

All in all, a fun trip.