Hello all. I searched but couldn't find much meaningful discussion on the subject, perhaps the 3year search limit is getting me?

I've recently acquired four of the 5-gallon NATO style Gerry cans. My main reason for getting these is to extend my camping range when doing overland camping or on trips to the desert or Baja.

However now that I own them, it seems prudent that I should keep them filled with gasoline as a hedge against the usual litany of emergencies. (I used to worry most about earthquakes but after being evacuated TWICE in the last six years due to wildfiles...)

I don't own a generator or even a gas mower, so the only gasoline consumers are the family vehicles. I plan to store the cans in an outdoor shed near the house. Temperature fluctuation is a mild concern (I wouldn't store ammunition there, for example), so I'll have to keep an eye on the cans for rust, etc., but I don't feel comfortable storing 20 gallons of fuel in the garage (with a gas-pilot waterheater).

The Sta-Bil website indicates that their product will keep gas for a year. If I go half that and start rotating the gas cans out on a six-month period, is that good enough?

I usually synch my preparedness activities (refreshing the water cache, etc.) to the daylight/standard time changes, so it isn't quite a 6-month interval anymore, but its still less than the one-year timeframe advised by Sta-Bil.

Thoughts?