I live in a pocket of geographic/geological oddness the makes where I live both rural (lots of people have backyard firing ranges, we have no sidewalks, uber, streetlights or police department) and not-so-rural (there's a CVS store 10 minutes from home, there's a small town 15 minutes away with several fancy coffee shops, I have really expensive gigabit internet now).

In terms of preparing for long-term emergencies, it's mostly about power outages for us, because we have a water well & septic pump, so no power=no water. We use a 6,500 watt portable generator feeding a transfer switch, it does not run the whole house (in particular, it does not power the electric water heater), but it does keep the "critical" systems going.

One thing that has changed in how we handle preps now as compared to maybe 10 years ago is we're less likely to fire up the generator now - we get service restoration faster than we used to, it's rare to have an outage of more than maybe 12 hours. We now rely on Anker brand jumpstart packs to keep our phones and laptops charged up; LED lights have gotten so much better that we only need a few of them to keep the house lit and smaller critical loads running.

But I think that the biggest change in our storm preps is the shift from a gas-powered tools to battery-powered tools. The chainsaw was first to change. I made the switch after one of the local fire stations ditched their gas powered chainsaw on the ladder truck in favor of a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 16" chainsaw - and I loved it. This was after the station I'm with bought a set of Hurst battery powered extrication tools ("Jaws of Life") and I took apart 1.5 cars without needing to swap batteries. My "fear of batteries" is over.

I got the "Oregon" brand 40v chainsaw (which has a LOT in common with the Lowes 40v line), and it's been great both for ordinary cleanup of fallen limbs and such as well as the occasional logging of larger trunks. It's not ideal for all-day-long slicing up of trees into rounds for splitting, but that's not what I'm doing in a "tree in the road" situation.

So, all in all - batteries are the way for me now, and the less gas I have to mess with, the better.