I am thinking about getting a storm shelter for my family. We live just north of Dallas and tornadoes are not as common here as in Oklahoma but they are still pretty common. I had previously thought about the safe room reinforced closet but the tornadoes that hit south of Dallas and in Norman, OK are making that not seem good enough. A reinforced closet is just not going to stop a flying Ford F150. Both of these tornadoes have tossed vehicles around like Styrofoam cups. The only place I see safe from these types of tornadoes is below ground. I don't like the idea that debris could pile on top of an in ground shelter. I saw one of the survival bunker shows on TV where they installed a jack to help raise the door even if something heavy was on top of that. I could probably do something like that.

I found three local companies selling storm shelters. I have filled out inquires to all three.
I got a price from one company this morning and was surprised it wasn't more expensive. It was a 6' x 8' concrete in ground shelter installed for $3,000. The company is in the septic tank business and I assume the storm shelter is basically a septic tank with a door ,ladder, and vents.

What's your guys thoughts?