I start this thread in hopes it will keep this debate out of the "best second weapon in the arsenal" thread. My point in that thread is that choosing a concealable weapon is, for me, too mired in political, legal, and practical complexity.

I offer the following just to kick off a discussion in which I do not intend to take further part. In no way do I intend anything here as a legal opinion or advice on which anyone should rely; this is just for entertainment at best.

My oversimplified take, after less than an hour trying to make sense of the California concealable weapon topic, is that you can carry a loaded pistol only with a permit in very limited circumstances unless you are in public safety. You can however, transport an unloaded pistol in many circumstances, though often it appears that requires the pistol to be locked in a container separate from its ammunition.

In addition, hunting regulations ban the carrying and possession of pistols in archery seasons and on most public waterfowl hunting land, to name just a few instances.

Clearly there are those who interpret the laws differently, or want them interpreted differently, or want them changed to allow wider use of and ability to carry pistols. You should consider sll this as carefully as you think advisable.

Let the games begin!

Edited by dweste (09/01/10 11:14 AM)