While reading the various threads pertaining to the features, components, and characteristics if the Ultimate Reality Bug Out Bag (URBOB), I thought, "I've been through this before!"

And I had, while participating in search and rescue. We all developed a personal pack, loaded with the goodies we would need to go out into the neighboring countryside (Tucson, Arizona) and help others in distress. While everyone adjusted the contents of their BOB to the changing seasons, we had to be prepared for mountains, deserts, caves and mines, and floods. We routinely operated at night. We were called unpredictably, and launched into the field at illogical times - high noon on a hot June day, into the face of a gathering storm at night - Just the kind of circumstances in which you might have to activate your BOB procedures. We particularly needed to respond quickly, just as one might in BOB situations.

We found it wise to be self sufficient for at least forty-eight hours, if not longer, for every operation. We needed vertical gear, a robust FAK, the ability to sleep comfortably, communicate, and travel through rugged terrain - just as you might in a BOB situation. Speed and mobility were often (but not always!)premium qualities - just like BOB. Always searching for lighter, more versatile gear, it not only had to light, but, most importantly, right... Total weight had to balanced against gear suitability and environmental conditions - sounds like BOB, right? Our winter pack was usually lighter than the summer pack (which in essence was a giant water bottle).

As we did more and more operations, we examined gear critically as it performed (or didn't) in the crucible of SAR ops. Perfecting the load was a never ending process.

I achieved a pack that fit my needs perfectly - and then it was stolen. I submitted a claim under my homeowner's insurance policy and duly received a check. A few months later, I learned that the adjuster had visited the local mountain shop, asking the management there (who knew me well as a regular customer) if I could possibly have been carrying all that stuff in one pack. They grinned and said, "Actually, this is rather thin. He often has more."

So, if you would like to perfect your BOB, volunteer for your local SAR unit. You will gain valuable, realistic real world experience that will serve you well. You will find out how you perform when tired, stressed, and sleep deprived, and what works for you in those conditions. You will be doing some good in the world and, if you are really weird, you might just like it.