Approximately 30 years ago I bought a couple of cans of Survival Seeds from Clyde Robin Seeds (they haven't offered them for years). I just found them in the garage. They are vacuum-packed in a regular can, like a large juice can. Here is a photo, the single one I could find online: Survival Garden

What with the home vacuum-packing available these days, I was just thinking that a good idea might be to collect a variety of vegetable seed packet (ones that you would actually eat) of Open-Pollinated varieties (OP in the seed catalogs), NOT hybrids, put them into heavy-duty plastic and seal them. You could probably just drop them into your freezer and forget them until you need them.

Just remember to get Open-Pollinated varieties. While hybrids are perfectly fine for normal use, if you found yourself in a long-term survival situation, you may want to be able to let some of the plants mature and collect their seeds for replanting next year. You can't do this reliably with hybrids, which tend to revert back, or are simply sterile and won't sprout at all.

Personally, I am doing several of them, with one package of each type -- more if I would be planting them, like carrots -- in each sealed package. This way, I would have backup in case of trouble, but wouldn't have to open a large bundle of them and have no way to reseal them.

Just in case you ever want to try growing potatoes, they're easy, and the Kennebecs are WONDERFUL for taste and storage.

Sue

Edited by Susan (10/26/08 02:59 AM)