So my wife and I have been discussing the current decline of the economy; the 45%+ increase in food/fuel/etc.

As a result, we decided to move forward with some plans to help increase our self-sufficiency. Money's been tight but we've found a way to basically build a roost and get 9 chickens (hens). The hens have been easy to deal with and are actually relatively fun to work with. The next step is actually to get a small goat for milk and a whether (gilded companion goat). We're on about a half acre of land, so there's not a great deal to work with, but we're doing the best we can.

I'm wondering who else has taken steps like this and if they can make any recommendations. Specifically what next to approach from the standpoint of food. Our next plan of action is basically like this:

1) A gated fence enclosing the property.
2) Goats w/ enclosure.
3) Veggie garden.

Beyond that, I'm thinking of getting a 3000 watt generator wired up to my well pump so that I can ensure fresh water even in an emergency situation. Perhaps a fuel storage system too, though I have my concerns regarding the safety of that.

Home security is also a concern - we've befriended SOME of our neighbors, but one or two are just plain weird and very anti-social. It's a pretty small community but I don't feel one should take something like that for granted, especially if things continue at their current pace.

So yeah, if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx