Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#252639 - 11/01/12 08:17 PM my AA family of gizmos
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
started to repack some of the electronics I dedicate to hurricane use, and though I'd put together a group photo in case anyone would be interested...I'd like to thank AFLM for his suggestion of a controller charger, it's worked well off 120vAC and 12vDC. I chose Sanyo Eneloop due to multiple suggestions and thank you.. they are the 1600 mAh variety...gizmos working off AAs..Midland W300 weather alert radio, old Grundig FR200, Black Diamond headlamp, Gerber Infinity task light, Fenix E21, Coleman High Tech 3AA LED lantern, AA to D adapters, Guide 10 battery pack (USB to mini in, USB out)

options to charge the Eneloops.... a Goal Zero 7w panel, 12v female tubular with battery clips, SCH 808F charger with 12v and 120v capability, Guide 10 battery pack with solar or AC to USB mini input

and for entertainment and doppler radar, and Insignia portable digital TV, rabbit ears, AC adapter and 12v input from tubular

Edited by LesSnyder (11/01/12 08:22 PM)

#252677 - 11/02/12 03:48 AM Re: my AA family of gizmos [Re: LesSnyder]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
How do you like the Goal Zero solar charger? Does it perform well?

#252682 - 11/02/12 09:48 AM Re: my AA family of gizmos [Re: Phaedrus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Looks like quite a collection! I like the Eneloops, just hard to find them locally.

An AAR on these devices would be great, esp the Goal Zero and LED lantern.

#252687 - 11/02/12 12:57 PM Re: my AA family of gizmos [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

on the Goal Zero charger... I've just tried it on two occasions... I originally purchased it without the Guide10 battery pack, and used the SCH808F charger with the 12v cigarette plug to top off a 4 pack of new Eneloops... it took a little over 3 hours to fully charge the partially charged Eneloops (I wasn't really watching it minute by minuten so the time might have been 1/2 hour less than that)... when I got the Guide 10 pack and used the 5v USB charge cord a second 4 pack of new Eneloops took about 2 hrs...both done in bright sunlight...I don't backpack or camp, and this is dedicated to the hurricane box...I've used the Guide10 battery pack on several occasions, and really like its compact size...I used it as a back up power supply for my cell phone and Garmin GPS for a trip to the Keys (you really want a back up to your GPS down there)... charging from a 120v to USB adapter..I was disappointed to only get one charge to my older Motorola flip phone, from a set of Eneloops...lithium AAs would make a better choice for emergency back up

I purchased the Coleman LED lamp this last summer, and have used it only for a couple of projects around the house...we haven't had a power outage since 05...I'm very happy with it..seems very rugged....

other than the old Grundig and the Gerber Infinity, everything was purchased via the internet...relying on recommendations from the Forum for most purchases... so far I've been very pleased ...I posted the pics in case anyone else was thinking about switching to AAs...I'm sure there are a lot of options on the solar panels... I may upgrade to a 20w rigid plate for a project next year

#252695 - 11/02/12 04:18 PM Re: my AA family of gizmos [Re: LesSnyder]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Nice setup, Les!

I have a Grundig just like yours, only with a bright yellow casing. Aside from having to be careful with the plastic winder (I could see it breaking under heavy/overzealous cranking) it's a solid little gadget.

I also have a wonderful pocket SW radio, (analog Realistic DX-342) for that runs forever on AAs.

Specs: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radio_shac_dx_342.html

Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39286509@N00/2574242890/

It' too bad they don't make 'em anymore.

#252707 - 11/02/12 06:05 PM Re: my AA family of gizmos [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Meadowlark... I've had the Grundig for a lot of years... I'm amazed that the NiMH cells still take a charge from the hand crank...we have very good Doppler radar in the Tampa Bay area and the better TV stations are simulcast on the radio... worked very well for the multi storm 04/05 season... I enjoyed listening to the BBC Overseas broadcast on SW in the light of a Dietz lantern...gives you a different viewpoint on world situations....I'm lacking in a shirt pocket AM/FM portable, but I'm typically not ever that far from my car, and I have a CB with NOAA WX channels, and we have several repeaters in the area...

the Midland 300W with SAME warning went off half a dozen times or so during TS Debbie with the number of localized tornadoes...

#252905 - 11/05/12 08:14 PM Re: my AA family of gizmos [Re: LesSnyder]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Thank you for sharing pics, Les. What amperage your AC to USB charger provides? I've found that almost for the same size plug you can find a 1A output rated chargers. Some smartphones will take that easily making recharging from AC almost twice as fast.

Also I would recommend a car inverter for your kit. I know, your devices will take the 12v car output natively, but the inverter will close the last gap in the "power loop". I have found plenty of compact inverters on eBay and going to test this one (almost pocketable) on my trip to Australia (additional benefit - it will power my 120V only devices easily, as in Australia they have 220V grid).

#252917 - 11/05/12 10:31 PM Re: my AA family of gizmos [Re: LesSnyder]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That AC-USB looks like the Motorola one that shipped with the original Droid, it is 1A.

#252939 - 11/06/12 04:33 AM Re: my AA family of gizmos [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

the AC to USB is a Motorola Home and Travel 850mA....

Alex... I'm probably the only person in the US that doesn't have a lap top...I'm an old fart, and used Macintosh for 30 years at school, and never found a lap top keyboard that was as quick as a desk top (long ago and far away I could keep ahead of a 90 word per minute teletype re perf machine with a short leader)...a battery box/inverter system is probably on the horizon, but I don't really have anything needing the 120v... I currently have an older 3500w Honda generator, but if an eu2000i comes available at a good price, I'll probably make the jump and convert it to tri fuel....I have a natural gas line running throught the front yard, but am not hooked up to it...

#252954 - 11/06/12 12:08 PM Re: my AA family of gizmos [Re: Meadowlark]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
Nice setup, Les!

I have a Grundig just like yours, only with a bright yellow casing. Aside from having to be careful with the plastic winder (I could see it breaking under heavy/overzealous cranking) it's a solid little gadget.

Quoting to second this endorsement. (Not affliation, fincial incentive, yada yada....) We've had a bright yellow Grundig for a few years now and it's gotten significant use as the radio in the guy's garage. (I don't know exactly how long we've had it but we've had it for about as long as I've been a member of this forum.) Works beautifully. We keep it plugged in but also crank it up every month or two to make sure that mechanism is in good working order.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 486 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.