Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240479 - 02/03/12 03:40 PM Ice: pointless commodity?
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I've been watching a show on Netflix called "Jericho". In one episode, they used fertilizer and water to make ice (needed to bring someone's fever down). A little research verified that it is indeed possible.

But aside from the show's medical reason, I wonder in a post-shtf scenario, would ice really be that useful? Other food preservation methods such as drying and canning seem more practical... But the whole ice making process seemed pretty low-effort, so maybe worth considering? Maybe as a "moral booster" for a special treat once in a while, like iced tea or something? What do you all think?

Of course, this would all depend on whether or not you have the extra fertilizer laying around unused... Maybe it's better just used on the garden?

~Marion C. Garretty

#240480 - 02/03/12 03:43 PM Re: Ice: pointless commodity? [Re: Krista]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I just realized this is probably in the wrong forum. Sorry! Feel free to move it elsewhere, mods. smile

~Marion C. Garretty

#240481 - 02/03/12 04:02 PM Re: Ice: pointless commodity? [Re: Krista]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Ice is only as pointless as the effort to make or preserve it. In a real SHTF situation, which means prolonged (> 1 year, or permanent) lack of electricity, I think folks will find all sorts of uses for ice - preserving meds for instance. My great-great grandfather in 19th century Wisconsin maintained an outbuilding that he filled with ice every winter, which lasted through the summer and into the following winter. So they had a use for an entire barnful of ice, year round.

#240483 - 02/03/12 04:21 PM Re: Ice: pointless commodity? [Re: Lono]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have very pleasant memories of time spent in a Minnesota ice house at the resort we frequented - a building full of ice and sawdust. The ice was cut from the lake during the preceding winter and stored for the summer patrons. Digging it out and delivering it was a pleasant taks on a hot summer day.

In a marginal situation, ice would be the least of my concerns. I would go to an evaporative cooler (an open box surrounded by wet cloth) to keep foods longer. If ice could be collected seasonally and stored - fine; otherwie, forget it.

I don't know about the fertilizer thing; a lot of these techniques shown on TV are often farfetched and fictitious. I wouldn't use the boob tube as a training manual.

#240489 - 02/03/12 06:12 PM Re: Ice: pointless commodity? [Re: Krista]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the heat energy required to dissolve solid crystals of potassium nitrate (KNO3) into a liquid solution is endothermic, meaning that heat must be added from the surroundings which will cool those surroundings...potassium nitrate may be a large enough component of the fertilizer compounds commonly called potash (the third % number in a designation like 6-6-6) to produce an endothermic cold compress

#240490 - 02/03/12 06:45 PM Re: Ice: pointless commodity? [Re: LesSnyder]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Ammonium Nitrate is what's used in those instant "ice" packs. I don't see it as a practical means of long-term refrigeration. Although I suppose you could allow the water to evaporate and then re-use it.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#240512 - 02/04/12 05:14 PM Re: Ice: pointless commodity? [Re: Krista]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Reframe the question: is coolth a survival value? I spent most of my life in the boreal forests: cooling things off was seldom an issue. Now I am in the land of perpetual heat, and see a lot of resources devoted to creating the chill in an emergency: generators sized to support ac systems, residential structures close to the water )and close to the storm surge) to access sea breezes. Michael Crichton included a high tech tent ac unit in Congo, suggesting that high temp/high humidity interefered with sleep patterns and caused a measurable decrease in human performance.

#240524 - 02/04/12 09:48 PM Re: Ice: pointless commodity? [Re: Krista]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I'd reserve it for medical uses unless it can be harvested in winter & stored. I don't know if you can generate enough temperature differential to use ice as an intermediate step instead of direct cold packs.

#240530 - 02/05/12 12:10 AM Re: Ice: pointless commodity? [Re: UTAlumnus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There are a lot of things you can do to adjust to hot conditions without depending upon a generator and air conditioning. One of the simplest is to adjust your schedule. Do the heavy work between sunrise and 9 AM to take advantage of the cool. The midday siesta isn't laziness - it is a very smart coping strategy for dealing with the heat.

I once did a dig in the Grand Canyon, right next to the suspension bridge and along the trail, where we were digging by 4 AM, knocked off at noon, retreated to our cabin until dinner, and then returned to the site in the evening, once it was in the shade. Worked pretty well and avoided a lot of sunstroke.

Shade is critical. Many native cultures adapt a ramada-like structure, basically a roof with open sides, that keeps the direct sun out, but catches the breezes. If you are hydrated and sweating, the slightest breeze will cool you nicely.

Most of my hot weather experience has been in the arid Southwest, which typically features low humidity. There is a big difference between 100 degrees with 20% humidity and 100 degrees and 80% humidity. To me dry conditions are far easier to deal with. If it gets hot enough, generally over 106F, about the only thing you can do is limit your exertion.

#240538 - 02/05/12 03:39 AM Re: Ice: pointless commodity? [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Ice is a luxury. Nice to have and useful, but not necessary. Look at most lesser-developed nations between the tropic lines. Little to no ice access, but they do quite well.

As for fevers, well, usually they worry the parent more than necessary. If your kid isn't seizing, they're probably OK. Cool moist compresses work just fine if needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.