The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235357 - 11/09/11 08:11 PM Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Today was supposed to be the first ever national activation of the new Emergency Alerting System. There's fail, Fail and FAIL. and I think this one warrants the extra special category of....

F A I L

Some interesting points:
- Some DirectTV customers reported hearing Lady Gaga's “Paparazzi” play during the test.
- FEMA official concedes "glitch"; says that it appears (maybe) to be related to how satellite and cable providers prepped their equipment.

Not only did the message not reach the (shrinking) broadcast audience, there was absolutely no effort to reach people via mobile channel (SMS) or internet.

Edited by MartinFocazio (11/09/11 08:12 PM)

#235358 - 11/09/11 08:16 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Yeah, but isn't that why they test?

#235359 - 11/09/11 08:19 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
At this point, this "test" should have been largely isolated gaps - certainly not the widespread failure. This is not a wholly new system by any means - the attempt to synch an alert nationwide has been in the works for a LONG TIME and the fact that the fail was this large is just embarrassing.

#235360 - 11/09/11 08:20 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: Matt26]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
One thing I noticed here, was that it didn't run for nearly as long as the typical weekly/monthly tests. I barely had enough time to read what it said before it kicked back over to normal TV.

#235363 - 11/09/11 09:00 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
<snip>
- Some DirectTV customers reported hearing Lady Gaga's “Paparazzi” play during the test.

#235371 - 11/09/11 09:37 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Don't be naive - the fact that they didn't test SMS or the Internet constitutes a success in my book: the day that a government agency can reach in and interrupt all Internet transmissions to transmit *any* message is a day that I turn off my laptop and PCs. Not to mention, if the capability exists for a national EAS over the Internet, the same capability is feasible for attackers with a far more dangerous agenda.

Second, this is what tests are for - afaik this is the first national EAS test. There are bound to be glitches. For my part my Comcast off-brand cable station was interrupted at 11am PDT, for 30 seconds, just as anticipated. Identify the glitches, rerun the test. Rinse, repeat. What exactly is your point in branding this test a FAIL?

I am less convinced of the necessity of a national EAS. A message with a national magnitude probably means we can all bend over and kiss our tuckuses goodbye.

Edited by Lono (11/09/11 11:58 PM)

#235375 - 11/09/11 09:50 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: Lono]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Lono
...this is what tests are for - afaik this is the first national EAS test...Identify the glitches, rerun the test. Rinse, repeat.

I think I view this test similarly to Lono (I absentmindedly missed the test, BTW, and didn't have a radio or TV on. Doh!) As the first national test, half the purpose is finding the bugs in the system. Good thing that asteroid was going to miss us yesterday! smile

#235403 - 11/10/11 01:44 AM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

My local NOAA station was apparently down. Either that, or my weather radio broke.

I did hear the alert on the regular radio (NPR). I also got emails from the emergency system from work. So it wasn't all bad.

No texts, though I believe I should have gotten some.

DB

#235440 - 11/10/11 04:21 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: Bingley]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
My local NOAA station was apparently down. Either that, or my weather radio broke.

NOAA radio stations where not carrying this EAS test in any case. There are plans to include them in the future, and the data from this test was intended to help bring that about.

"NOAA Weather Radio will not transmit the EAS Test. There is currently no mechanism to transport this type of message to NWR transmitters. Additionally, the Test will use the EAN code where the audio message exceeds the two minute audio time limit allowed by Specific Area Messaging Encoding (SAME) and the EAS."

FEMA EAS Announcement

#235442 - 11/10/11 04:59 PM Re: Emergency Alert System Test Fails Completely [Re: MartinFocazio]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Hi,

I don't think of this as failure. It demonstrated areas for improvement, which was the purpose.
Of greater concern to me is the apathy demonstrated by our fellow citizens. Honestly, I forgot about it a minute after I saw it on CNN yesterday morning. Didn't think of it again until I saw the posts here.
There is a need to communicate with the citizenry without impinging on our privacy & freedoms. I think that banners on sites like Yahoo!, Google, Facebook, etc. will reach more people than radio and some TV.
The government can have the cell servers contact each subscriber also.
There are ways to reach out in the 21st Century.
Just my thoughts...

Finn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 503 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.